Gransnet forums

Chat

Is there no pleasing some people

(48 Posts)
pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 18:44:12

Just had a phone call from a very pleasant man, inquiring if I had an accident in the last 2.5 years. I said yes and suffered several cuts to my face and quite a bit of bruising (perfectly true). He then asked what happened, but he did not seem impressed when I told him that I had tripped over a hose pipe in the garden and went headfirst into the shrubbery 2 days ago (again perfectly true) -- he rang off !! grin
Mrs P was just as unsympathetic.

merlotgran Thu 26-Mar-15 18:54:08

grin pompa

MamaCaz Thu 26-Mar-15 18:56:17

pompa grin

I might try that tack next time they ring me.

Don't suppose you can suggest any equally good answers for those asking about my (non-existent) debt, PPI, boilers or insulation, do you?

Lona Thu 26-Mar-15 18:59:44

Nice one pompa grin

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 19:02:16

Just a minute guys, how about a bit of sympathy first ! -- this was perfectly true, I do have a gash on my cheek, chin and head, along with bruises where the sun don't shine.

I normally have to invent scenarios, quite enjoy a good one. My usual tack is to play the lonely old man that is grateful for someone to chat to.

rockgran Thu 26-Mar-15 19:07:45

Poor you, Pompa! I recently tripped over a footstool and did a comic lurch into the tv. I had huge bruises on my arm but people seemed inclined to laugh rather than sympathise. Hurts doesn't it! flowers

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 19:10:42

Mrs P's main concern was not bleeding on the furniture.

MiniMouse Thu 26-Mar-15 19:10:51

pompa I think you should sue the hosepipe and call the shrubbery as witness wink

MamaCaz Thu 26-Mar-15 19:15:51

If I fall over the DGCs toys and hurt myself as I hurry to answer their unsolicited phone call, can I make a claim against them (the caller that is, not the DGC)?

BTW Pompa, I sympathise on the garden accident. I've had a few myself, having fallen off my garden spade and into the veg bed several times, and strimmed my backside a couple of times too, after putting down the still running strimmer then bent down too near to it.

vampirequeen Thu 26-Mar-15 19:38:38

Poor Pompa.

MamaCaz...a strimmed backside....ooooh is that in the notorious book grin

MamaCaz Thu 26-Mar-15 19:48:40

Don't know Vampirequeen - I haven't read that book.
Luckily it's not a very powerful strimmer, and I wear both jeans and waterproof trousers when I use it, so it didn't do much more than tickle my bottom. Ooooh, now that is starting to sound like something that might be in the book, isn't it! grin

vampirequeen Thu 26-Mar-15 19:58:55

Certainly is grin

loopylou Thu 26-Mar-15 20:29:20

Very risqué....or even risky! New type of Brazilian?

Grannyknot Thu 26-Mar-15 20:33:03

grin

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 20:46:54

Loopyloo - thought that, but wasn't brave enough to say it grin

grumppa Thu 26-Mar-15 21:12:17

It's called a Chilean - the other side of the Andes.

Katek Thu 26-Mar-15 23:37:58

Apropos of nothing, I know a song about two alpacas from the Andes with hooves instead of handies....I really must go to bed now I think.

Eloethan Fri 27-Mar-15 00:00:22

You're so funny pompa smile

Eloethan Fri 27-Mar-15 00:02:37

Well, in fact several of you have made me laugh.

GillT57 Fri 27-Mar-15 10:30:12

grin to you all. Poor Pompa hope your bruised dignity is recovering.

Charleygirl Fri 27-Mar-15 11:52:48

Pompa my sympathies are with *Mrs P*- I also would want to keep my flooring and furniture free from blood. They are more difficult and expensive to clean if stained. You can always drip blood outside and the rain will eventually wash it away.

loopylou Fri 27-Mar-15 13:30:50

Poor pompa, little sympathy here grin!
DH says he'd have be half-dead before I'd be sympathetic....... He's survived 36 years of my TLC so not doing too badly!

bramblelover Fri 27-Mar-15 21:11:05

Brilliant comments. Reminded me of when our son got tired of telephone calls asking him to take out a bank loan so he decided on a different tactic. Patiently he would give them all the info they needed....not always true.....inflated salary etc.. He could sense their adrenaline rising...closing the deal ....then finally just at the end of the fairly long interview they asked if he wanted any further info. "Oh forgot to tell you I'm bankrupt". Silence!!!!!

rosesarered Sat 28-Mar-15 11:03:18

Hope you recover soon Pompa, a stiff whisky twice a day does wonders as long as you take enough water with it!
recently on holiday abroad, we saw several old people fall over( they tripped but were ok.)A couple of days later, I tripped over a raised curb I hadn't noticed, flailed about and managed to recover, much to DH's amusement, pride certainly comes before a fall.

Nonnie Sat 28-Mar-15 11:28:34

Nice to see a lighter thread sometimes.

Sorry to bring in just a little seriousness but how do these 'ambulance chasers' know? DS had an accident with DH in the car and the police came. They both gave their landline and mobile numbers to the policeman but the insurance companies have not been involved. They have both been inundated with calls about the accident. Surely the police should not have passed on this info?