Gransnet forums

Chat

Very proud of my hardworking grandson

(17 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 27-Mar-15 20:00:43

He has always been keen to work with animals. When work experience placements were being given out for year tens he put his name down to work in a pet and exotic animal centre and beat nine others to get it!

All very well but we live so far out in the sticks it meant a two hour journey each way with three bus changes, making a 12 hour day for two weeks which is a lot for a fourteen year old.

The owner was so impressed with him they have contacted the school with an amazing reference for his CV and have sent a lovely photo off to our local paper. A big thumbs up for their business and the school, not to mention DGS.

So lovely when they make you proud. smile

baubles Fri 27-Mar-15 20:06:52

Well done Merlot's GS. How lovely that his efforts were so appreciated.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Mar-15 20:26:51

He worked really hard for it merlot! Only fourteen too!

Well done that boy. smile

emmasnan Fri 27-Mar-15 20:30:15

I can see why you are so proud of him, the journey alone would put a lot of people off! I hope he does well in the future, he deserves it.

Coolgran65 Fri 27-Mar-15 20:35:54

Excellent

merlotgran Fri 27-Mar-15 20:42:44

Thanks. When he showed me the acceptance letter I said, 'Are you absolutely sure?'

'It'll be fine, Granny' he kept saying although on his first day, DD, who had a day off, tailed the bus as he'd never been into Cambridge on his own before let alone change buses. Mums eh?

He's the baby of his year as his birthday is at the end of July. I hope he keeps his determination.

Jane10 Fri 27-Mar-15 20:46:20

Well he's certainly off to a good start. Well done that (young) man!

Mishap Fri 27-Mar-15 21:54:22

Good lad - you are entitled to be proud of him.

POGS Fri 27-Mar-15 22:43:53

merlotgran

You are absolutely right to be proud of him!

He sounds a good, decent boy and it is good to be reminded that some youngsters still have the gumption to know to get what they want they have to be prepared to work hard to get it.

I wish I knew him personally. When the 3 boys who are my neighbours found employment and 1 an apprenticeship I gave them £50 each to buy petrol for their first month of getting to work and one it paid for his transport costs for 3 weeks.

Well done that lad!

rosequartz Fri 27-Mar-15 23:02:44

Well done!

You do worry when they are the youngest in the year but he has proved it doesn't make a difference if you have drive and determination.

Grannyknot Sat 28-Mar-15 07:42:45

Star boy.

vampirequeen Sat 28-Mar-15 08:17:26

That's fantastic.

ninathenana Sat 28-Mar-15 10:06:15

Brilliant! The next Noel the super vet in the making.

Nonnie Sat 28-Mar-15 10:39:50

Is there a better feeling than proud Mum or proud Grandma? Well done him.

annodomini Sat 28-Mar-15 11:26:45

Good for him. Such dedication is getting its just reward. You have every right to be proud of him merlot.

granjura Sat 28-Mar-15 15:11:21

Bravo- very deserving effort.

kittylester Sat 28-Mar-15 18:38:46

Can't believe I'be missed this thread! What a great boy, merlot, you are right to be proud!