Gransnet forums

Chat

My (hopefully less contentious) random thoughts for today!!

(65 Posts)
Katek Sat 28-Mar-15 12:46:48

Listening to the shipping forecast last night and if Berwick is Ber-ick then why isn't Lerwick, Ler-ick?

Also, after fighting with my super king size duvet cover and getting lost inside it, why don't they come with a zip or Velcro fastening? Be much easier than all those fiddly buttons.

Charleygirl Sat 28-Mar-15 12:53:03

I have poppers on my duvet covers except one which is buttoned and I avoid it like the plague because it is fiddly. Velcro I think would wear away with frequent washing and zips can become stuck and be a right pain I find. I agree that there has to be an easier way.

tanith Sat 28-Mar-15 13:06:18

I also have poppers and one with buttons and yes its fiddly but I did find some of the poppers get damaged in the machine and then won't 'pop' together...

Katek maybe its all to do with local dialects why similar spellings sound so different, I'm sure someone will know the real reasons.

FarNorth Sat 28-Mar-15 13:08:27

They used to have tapes to tie. The poppers tend to melt in tumble dryers so maybe that's why they went out of fashion.
No idea about Berwick/Lerwick

rosequartz Sat 28-Mar-15 13:13:45

And Beswick china is Bes-ick
and Mousehole is Mowzul (but that's just to confuse the emmets) but Crafthole is Crafthole (as far as I know, but someone who is true Cornish and not Devon may correct me) grin

rosequartz Sat 28-Mar-15 13:14:40

Do you need us to come and rescue you Katek?

annodomini Sat 28-Mar-15 13:16:49

In the Shetland series on TV, some of the characters pronounced Lerwick as Ler- ick. confused

Juliette Sat 28-Mar-15 13:31:41

rosequartz here in the potteries Beswick has always been pronounced Beswick only on TV is it Bes-ick.
I have a quilt cover which has a sort of envelope end so no poppers etc. easy to take off and put on.

Jane10 Sat 28-Mar-15 13:38:04

I've always wondered why as in England we speak English, why don't people in Iceland speak Icelish?
I do like a random thought!

ninathenana Sat 28-Mar-15 13:42:18

That's interesting Juliette I've always thought Beswick sounded wrong. Obviously the locals know best smile

ninathenana Sat 28-Mar-15 13:45:47

Franceish, Norwayish, Italyish. hmm interesting thought.

ninathenana Sat 28-Mar-15 13:47:26

Or should that be Norish, Italish confused

loopylou Sat 28-Mar-15 13:48:12

Perhaps we should talk Englandian? hmm

loopylou Sat 28-Mar-15 13:48:59

Don't know where that puts Scots, Irish and Welsh....

Anya Sat 28-Mar-15 13:58:56

And Warwick is War-ick unless you're American (like my Sister- in-law) and definitely know best hmm

thatbags Sat 28-Mar-15 13:59:55

Berwick's dahn saarf, relatively speaking. Lerwick is probably closer to the original (Norse?) and less affected by other accents and languages.

Katek Sat 28-Mar-15 14:19:07

At 5' tall and the cover measuring 6'6" square I am seriously overwhelmed! May have to take you up on the rescue offer Roseq! I like the idea of an envelope type closing Juliette...much easier and neater.

And why is German Bight not Bite? Is it a different kind of bite? Or maybe I just need to get to sleep before the shipping forecast......,,

Galen Sat 28-Mar-15 14:28:30

Shrewsbury or Shrowsbury?

kittylester Sat 28-Mar-15 14:34:40

In the days before the wonderful John Lewis came to Leicester, the best shop in town was Fenwicks on Belvoir Street (or Fennicks on Beaver Street) confused

Elegran Sat 28-Mar-15 14:55:18

You need my (patented) banister method of putting on a duvet cover, katek

Wash duvet cover inside out and dry it and put it away like that too.

Hang duvet over banisters on landing.

Put your hands (and arms - but try to keep your head out!) inside the duvet cover (still inside out) down into the two corners.

Grab the two top corners of the duvet with each hand, through the duvet cover.

Drop the duvet over the stairwell, with the cover falling over the outside of it. Shake it well (don't let go!)

Drag it back over the banister and into the bedroom and onto the bed. If there are two of you, you can grab a corner each and each walk up one side of the bed with it held between you. If there is only one, you have to do the best you can here.

Straighten it up, get the bottom corners in, and fasten it at the bottom.

granjura Sat 28-Mar-15 14:56:49

LOL, yes, got me very confused when I first moved to Leicester (as a native French speaker). One of the local school was also Beauchamp (Beecham- well, my first job in the UK was with Beecham's in London, so that got me confused too). Still always visit Fenwicks when I am in Leicester (Lester ... or Lesta ;) ).

When I first got to London to work, exactly 45 years ago to the day today- I had to go to Gloucester Road. So I duly asked for a tube ticket to 'Gloocaistair Road' and after a few minutes of mayhem, showed the guy the road name written on a piece of paper... oh Gloster Road, you should have said!!

Favourite is of course Wooster! Especially Woostershersauce.

DD1 had a friend called Thistlethwaite who lived in Theddingworth- now that really got me stumped.

Soutra Sat 28-Mar-15 15:08:47

And Airwick is Air-wick, but Flitwick is Flittick. Kirkcudbright is Kircoobrie, Penicuik is Pennycook and Bozeat is Bozhat. Olney is Owney, Woughton is Woofton, but Broughton is Brought On whereas Boughton is Bough -ton. Milngavie is Mull Guy and Ettrickbridgend is Ettrick Brig End.
And don't even start on Welsh place names!

Elegran Sat 28-Mar-15 15:18:49

And Kilconquhar is Kinyuchar . . .

Elegran Sat 28-Mar-15 15:19:50

I know two Southwicks, one of which is Suthick, but not the other.

Galen Sat 28-Mar-15 15:20:10

Remember in Wednesbury asking the way to Derby rd, pronouncing it Darby. The locals couldn't help until I wrote it down. They play it Derby as in herby.