Gransnet forums

Chat

The cult of the celebrity

(42 Posts)
Katek Wed 15-Apr-15 10:00:44

Just saw a headline on FB, "Celebrities who changed our lives but left too soon." I presume it was an article on young actors/musicians etc who died young

A celebrity has never changed my life...have they changed anyone's or is it just journalistic hyperbole?

NotTooOld Wed 15-Apr-15 10:25:04

They are even more annoying when referred to as 'slebs', don't you think, Katek? No, none of them have ever affected my life. The hairdresser handed me some magazines yesterday while I was waiting. As I leafed through the pages of 'sleb' pictures I realised that most of them I had never even heard of! Must be my age, I suppose.....smile

soontobe Wed 15-Apr-15 10:31:25

I sort of miss Jade Goody.
She helped to highlight the importance of cervical cancer screenings.

NotTooOld Wed 15-Apr-15 10:33:40

soon confused

Tegan Wed 15-Apr-15 10:39:18

She was on the telly the other night on an old panel game [the ones they show on Dave] and it seemed really strange seeing her. She was probably one of the people responsible for young girls assuming they can just 'become' rich and famous and not have to get an education or a job.

soontobe Wed 15-Apr-15 10:47:38

She had her good points too. I must admit that I had forgotten some of her bad behaviour. I think that her heart was in the right place.
Perhaps it is best not to be speaking in this way of someone who has died.

Katek Wed 15-Apr-15 10:56:01

Is/was Jade Goody an exception? She didn't influence my life, but I believe that cervical screening figures rose after her death so she influenced others A positive legacy

amarmai Wed 15-Apr-15 16:24:25

Oprah gave me a habit that has stood me in good stead in bad times = list what you are grateful for. Guess it's like count your blessings -but Oprah said it when i was ready to listen. Thanks Oprah!

KatyK Wed 15-Apr-15 19:35:53

As a teenager my home life was pretty horrendous. When The Beatles came along they brought something lovely into my life. Myself and a group of friends were pretty obsessed with them. We saw them live several times. I have many lovely stories to tell. I won a competition to sit on stage with them. I have a photo of this. We had a chat with George On another occasion. Nowadays when any Beatles anniversary comes along I am sometimes asked to chat about my experiences on local radio. The photo I mentioned sometimes appears in our local paper. They didn't change my life but improved it and made it more interesting.

janeainsworth Wed 15-Apr-15 19:39:13

I think some of the celebs of the 60s,like the Beatles and the Stones, were perhaps catalysts, or enablers, for change.
I'm not saying they were responsible for the changes of that decade but they were part of it and helped to us the confidence to be different from our parents' generation.
Bob Dylan and Joan Baez too.
Except of course they weren't thought of as celebrities then!

janeainsworth Wed 15-Apr-15 19:41:18

Crossed posts katy
Yes I think they improved our lives - I would much rather have grown up in the 60's than any other decade smile

KatyK Wed 15-Apr-15 19:47:05

Me too jane

Soutra Wed 15-Apr-15 19:47:06

I think we should remember the "matinee idols" of our mothers' generation. Or "screen" idols such as Clark Gable or Rita Hayward. Not so very different from the "slebs (sorry!) of today, just there are so many more and because of the growth of the media and its influence on the general population , more young people in particular aspire to their lifestyle. Oh and reality TV and talent(?) shows such as BGT, The Voice and that dreadful Big Brother.

Ariadne Wed 15-Apr-15 19:48:20

But in those days there weren't all these sad B and C list people desperately trying to be important, with little cause, were there?

Suppose Jade Goody was one of them, even if at the end she did something useful. As Tegan she was one of those who probably encouraged the "celebrity" culture of being famous by doing nothing.

Soutra Wed 15-Apr-15 21:41:11

Yes I think the difference was that while people may have dreamed about their screen idol or whoever, nowadays they think they can be famous, just for being famous! Who was it said we would all have our 15 minutes of fame -Andy Warhol? And dreadful TV reality shows just pander to the mindset. Jeremy Kyle shockshockshock

absent Wed 15-Apr-15 22:15:11

There is a difference between actors, musicians, etc. who have become famous for doing something, even if you don't like what they do, and people who just seek publicity because they want publicity. I don't think my life has been changed by either group.

feetlebaum Wed 15-Apr-15 22:25:54

And what in the world is a "star of reality television'? Has the term 'star' lost all meaning?

annodomini Wed 15-Apr-15 23:06:58

A star of reality TV - Kim Kardashian, she of the big a**e. Why on earth should the young look up to someone who is famous for being famous? But they do!

Falconbird Thu 16-Apr-15 06:58:11

In a weird way the Perfumo affair changed my life. I was about 17 at the time and bore a passing resemblance to Christine Keeler who was a few years older.

My parents were treating me as if I was a kid and the photographs of Christine Keeler made them look at me in a different way.

Of course The Beatles, The Stones and The Kinks changed my life forever. flowers

feetlebaum Thu 16-Apr-15 07:24:54

'Perfumo'? Sounds like a continental clown... it was Jack Profumo who was involved in that (regrettably enjoyable) mess...

Falconbird Thu 16-Apr-15 07:32:20

Sorry yes - Profumo - up early bit dazed. Profumo became a changed character after that and did lots of good work for charities.

Katek Thu 16-Apr-15 09:19:25

Falconbird/feetlebaum......that's given me a good start to my day!! Perfumo the clown!!

GillT57 Thu 16-Apr-15 10:25:42

Yes absent there is a big difference between those people who may have greatly changed people's lives through their music, their acting talent, their writing, and I thought that your story katyk was lovely, how wonderful to have been part of that time and to have found some escape from other horrid aspects of your childhood ( hope I dont sound patronising, I dont mean to!). But, and it is a big but, there are people who are just famous for being famous, and those who cannot tell the difference between being famous and infamous, as long as they are on the pages of tabloid publications.

KatyK Thu 16-Apr-15 10:51:58

Thank you Gill - no it doesn't sound patronising at all. Those Beatles times were lovely and I now have something to look back on that was nice amid all the not so nice. I agree there are a lot of 'wannabes' around now.

Mishap Thu 16-Apr-15 11:11:49

There is a difference between those who become celebrities because of their talent; and those who for some unknown reason become so because they happened to appear on a reality TV show, but have no talent whatsoever; or happen to be rich.