Gransnet forums

Chat

Grey undies....

(53 Posts)
Katek Tue 21-Apr-15 09:31:48

I bought myself two new bras at the weekend, same brand as usual, and put them in the drawer. I was then forced to throw out the washed out grey ones as they looked so grubby beside them, but this makes me feel guilty as functionally there's nothing wrong with them. I did think of the bra bank but I wouldn't want anyone to have my old grey things. I start out with every good intention, hand washing and not tumble drying, but then it all starts slipping (the intentions, not the bra!) and they end up flung in the machine with everything else.

I can hear my mother though, "what if you were knocked down?" I don't think the colour of my undies would be my priority if that were the case!

loopylou Tue 21-Apr-15 10:12:23

I'm the same Katek, the good intentions don't even get off the ground sometimes hmm

I do however find that a 40° wash with only whites and a scoop of so called oxyclean seems to do the trick (so far), also I use bio washing liquid.

Only other thing to do is buy coloured undies but I find beige nude still goes an odd colour after multiple washes, sort of a 'grunge' colour, not nice!

Greenfinch Tue 21-Apr-15 10:19:42

Black is best.grin

Katek Tue 21-Apr-15 10:24:06

I do have black but you can't wear black under some things. Well, you can, but I'm not a fan of visible underwear. (Think Calvin Klein boxers!) I also bought 'nude', but as you say LL they too develop a strange shade of dirty beige!

loopylou Tue 21-Apr-15 10:26:30

It makes you wonder if it's a deliberate manufacturers ploy to ensure we are forced into replacing bras long before they give up the ghost!

Katek Tue 21-Apr-15 10:28:41

Think you might be onto something there....surely today's technology can devise a fabric which doesn't turn grey. Off white maybe, but not grey.

Katek Tue 21-Apr-15 10:29:58

Just had another thought (dangerous, I know!) do more expensive bras retain their colour longer than cheaper makes?

absent Tue 21-Apr-15 10:35:49

I don't have a problem with greying, but I do tend to buy my knickers in batches. As a result, the elastic goes all floppy in all of them at the same time.

amarmai Tue 21-Apr-15 11:00:53

i love dying old undies, white shirts, Ts etc -it's like getting new for 0! And you can get the colors you never see i the stores.

ayse Tue 21-Apr-15 11:05:35

How about if they started producing more 95% cotton - some are very expensive - I'd like to be able to buy cotton as they are so much more comfortable in hot weather. They didn't seem to go grey as quickly as synthetics do.

janerowena Tue 21-Apr-15 11:24:52

I have a sister who used to stay with me for weeks at a time, years ago, while her OH was away working. I noticed all my underwear was going grey - she was in charge of laundry. I realised after DBH complained that she was putting all the whites in with the coloureds. I started to buy grey cotton underwear! I still do, if I see it. At that time, luckily for me, it was everywhere.

I only buy underwear with a high percentage of cotton. It lasts very well, but I never buy white.

GillT57 Tue 21-Apr-15 11:46:29

absent same problem here with knickers, getting close to major replacement.....lots of very dodgy elastic.

Tegan Tue 21-Apr-15 11:54:27

I'm sure the assistant in a bra shop I used to go to told me to always wash bras in warm'ish water, not hot, to keep the colour and keep the white ones white. Not sure why though.

tanith Tue 21-Apr-15 12:08:42

For years I hand washed my bras until it dawned on me it didn't seem to make a ha'porth of difference as they still went grey and stretchy so now I bung them in with the white wash but in one of those washing 'bags'.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Apr-15 12:43:12

I put my white bras in with a mixed load on 40 delicates with a Persil colour-tab. Seems fine. I do use a water softening tablet though. I think hard water discolours clothes.

Bellasnana Tue 21-Apr-15 14:01:06

I buy 'colour catchers' from Lidl and put them in if I have a mixed load. They are absolutely magic. No grey undies in this house grin

Teetime Tue 21-Apr-15 14:04:11

I heard a radio programme where someone from a charity said they were crying out for bras grey or otherwise and to please always put them in the charity bag (not the knicks obviously). I have a friend who is off to Malawi to work in a school in a few weeks and his wife has been all over town begging for bras for him to take as they are in very short supply. they are very happy to mend any that need it. They especially need larger sizes. It was a lovely excuse for me to throw out my ones I reserve for golf buy some new ones- which I can't wear yet as they are too pretty!!! grin

TriciaF Tue 21-Apr-15 14:21:47

What about men's underpants? DH likes white, which is quite a challenge, but we keep a bucket of water in the bathroom, with a little bit of whitener powder, and that helps. Put my knicks in there too.
My friend says can't be bothered with all that, makes her husband wear black or navy.
When my FIL was widowed he used to bring his washing to me, and he wore cream woollen boxers, sometimes longjohns - not easy!

soontobe Tue 21-Apr-15 17:17:47

Apparently, if you are knocked down, nothing is said about someones' underwear.
But there is, if there was no underwear!

loopylou Tue 21-Apr-15 17:54:06

Perhaps it was about showing your underwear soon, especially as women rarely wore trousers/jeans then?

Maggiemaybe Tue 21-Apr-15 18:24:44

I've always washed whites separately, and never had a problem. Interesting to hear that hard water might cause greying. Our water is very soft.

loopylou Tue 21-Apr-15 18:30:34

Ours is very hard, I rarely remember to add a 'Calgon' tab to a wash, so could very likely be the cause.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Apr-15 18:41:01

soon grin I can imagine! hmm

pompa Wed 22-Apr-15 07:32:04

Beware of men without underwear as this story in a news paper warns. :-

Subject: THE VALUE OF UNDIES

Here's your weekly safety brief:

Be careful what you wear (or don't wear), when working under your vehicle...especially in public.

From the NORTHWEST FLORIDA Daily News comes this story of a Crestview couple who drove their car to Wal-Mart, only to have their car break down in the parking lot. The man told his wife to carry on with the shopping while he fixed the car in the lot.

The wife returned later to see a small group of people near the car. On closer inspection, she saw a pair of male legs protruding from under the chassis. Although the man was in shorts, his lack of underpants turned private parts into glaringly public ones.

Unable to stand the embarrassment, she dutifully stepped forward, quickly put her hand UP his shorts, and tucked everything back into place. On regaining her feet, she looked across the hood and found herself staring at her husband who was standing idly by.

The mechanic, however, had to have three stitches in his head.

Bellasnana Wed 22-Apr-15 07:44:21

Thanks for starting my day with a really good laugh, pompa grin grin