Gransnet forums

Chat

Bit scary in Didcot.....

(50 Posts)
AlieOxon Mon 25-May-15 07:32:10

The murders on the news are just round the corner almost.

On top of everything else, I am feeling isolated here.
I had my grandson visiting yesterday afternoon but there were police helicopters overhead until late in the evening....kept all doors bolted.

Then I have to wake at 4.30.

AlieOxon Mon 25-May-15 07:33:44

Just paranoid, I guess, but feeling very vulnerable.

kittylester Mon 25-May-15 07:37:42

Must be scary for you Alie. Your emotions must be very raw at the moment. Do you need to go out or can you just hunker down and keep the doors locked?

Anya Mon 25-May-15 07:44:40

Good advice from Kitty. Lock your doors and hunker down if you can.

How are you coping otherwise? It's just a short time since you lost your daughter and you must be desperately sad and tired. Grief is such a raw emotion (((hugs))), I think of you often.

Iam64 Mon 25-May-15 07:49:39

Hello Allie, I'm sure you aren't the only person feeling vulnerable in your area right now given the murders. The kind of grief you will be feeling must be adding to any anxieties. Look after yourself and yes, keep the doors locked

Nelliemoser Mon 25-May-15 07:52:50

Allieoxon Of course you are feeling vulnerable at the moment you have had far too much else going on. Do not feel you are being a wimp over this.
(((hugs)))

12Michael Mon 25-May-15 08:08:52

Saw it on the national and local news last night, it is not a funny situation, lets hope they get the suspect in Oxford
Mick

nightowl Mon 25-May-15 08:11:56

I'm so sorry for your grief Alie. Of course you feel scared and vulnerable when your whole world has been shaken. You have had so many things to deal with that your emotions must be all at the surface right now.

As Iam says, the murders in your area will be making a lot of people feel vulnerable, so keep yourself safe. Thinking of you x

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-May-15 08:40:46

I understand completely how you feel Alie but I think he is probably miles away from Didcot now, either in that bit of Oxford parkland where the police are searching, or fled the area completely. A sad situation all round.

soontobe Mon 25-May-15 09:29:59

I presume your phones are working?

Kepp talking to us if you are worried. Gransnetters can talk all day to you grin

Stansgran Mon 25-May-15 09:31:37

I always feel safer when I hear the 'copters as I feel I could rush out and flag them down( not too far from Durham gaol) if there were any escapees lurking . flowers for you Alie

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Mon 25-May-15 09:37:27

So sorry you feel so vunerable in your own home Alie the very place you should feel safe. As jbf says though he is probably keeping out of sight or completely gone by now. At least the police know who they are looking for, not just a random stranger. I am sure it will be over soon. Not nice especially when waking early in the morning and worrying. Batten down the hatches, cuppa and a snooze in the chair for you I think.

Katek Mon 25-May-15 09:42:54

Stay safe Alie, lock your doors and settle down with lots of tea and tv. Hope it's all over soon. flowers

merlotgran Mon 25-May-15 10:02:49

I agree with everyone else, Alie. Lock the doors and windows and indulge in some rubbish entertaining TV smile Keep chatting on Gnet and have your phone handy.

As jingl says, he's probably miles away by now.

annodomini Mon 25-May-15 10:09:49

The murders happened not far from my DS2's family home Alie. I recognise the area and really feel for you. As if you didn't have enough on your mind. Everyone in Didcot must be feeling jumpy at the moment, though I hear that the police are looking for him in Oxford. Fingers crossed that the CiD have him in their sights.

AlieOxon Mon 25-May-15 10:10:21

Very glad to hear from you lot! My people I phone seem to have vanished for the time being.....

Yes he may be miles away but he might be in my neighbours' shed...the ones in the derelict house....and the house the other side is empty, sold but empty!
Actually I suspect someone is sheltering him - possibly here

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-May-15 10:14:03

Or he could have killed himself by now. What a mess. sad

glammanana Mon 25-May-15 10:35:19

Try not to think of him being nearby AlieOxon he is probably miles away by now hiding out somewhere or made his way out of the Country,such a sad story take care ((hugs))

rosequartz Mon 25-May-15 10:35:49

Yes, lock doors - have you got a chain on the door, or at least make sure you know who it is before you answer the door.

We have encountered similar things - in fact everywhere we have lived (3 or 4 times)! but they were targeted; however you can't be too careful.

You are having such a rotten time, I wish these were real flowers

Crafting Mon 25-May-15 10:39:43

Alie how frightening. As the others say lock the doors but I agree I doubt if he is still around. I hope he is found soon so you can relax a bit. You have had so much to deal with recently. I am off to the kitchen with a chocolate fudge cake. Pop in for a slice and a chat soon x

harrigran Mon 25-May-15 10:56:29

Alie, keep your windows closed and your door locked. You probably have nothing to fear from this man, the people he killed were relatives and he probably has no reason to target others. Have your phones to hand but stay online too so that you can talk to take your mind off the situation.

KatyK Mon 25-May-15 11:06:10

I hope they catch him soon.

AlieOxon Mon 25-May-15 11:08:51

Not target, no - but this sort of chase has ended up in hostage situations before now.

Or do I read too many crime books??

Elegran Mon 25-May-15 11:10:56

Are the police aware that your neighbours are a bit weird, and their shed could be a hiding-place? You could phone and tell them - they have probably checked it or have it on their list, but it would do no harm and make you feel a bit better.

Elegran Mon 25-May-15 11:16:56

And they won't think that you are a nuisance, part of their job is reassuring the public. When the police in my area were looking for a serial child molester and murderer I served a man in my part-time shop who matched the description (and I was a little bit concerned about) I contacted the relevant police because if he had been the one, I could not have lived with myself otherwise. They were very helpful. They found the real killer, thank god, when his next attempt was foiled by an observant neighbour of his potential victim.