Gransnet forums

Chat

Hen Harriers

(23 Posts)
newist Fri 29-May-15 14:27:50

We were sat in our lounge last night, about 8pm, a people carrier pulled into our drive and out poured 6 men all with large cameras, they immediately, started clicking away, I, we hurried out to have a rant kind word with these persons, who by now had spread out round the house to get photos of the Hen Harrier, and short eared owl, which hunt every evening around us. I know Hen harriers are very rare else where. If these people had asked (nicely) if they could take photos I would of considered it. but because they didn't, I was to say the least quite cross at them, Would any Gnetters, behave differently in this situation

pompa Fri 29-May-15 14:32:47

Sounds a very reasonable response to a rude invasion to me, I would have told them to go forth an procreate.

newist Fri 29-May-15 14:36:47

Yes pompa that was more or less what I told them but my spelling was different grin

pompa Fri 29-May-15 14:43:34

A farmer friend of mine had some birdwatchers drive onto his farm without asking (I was fishing on his lake at the time). He simply parked his tractor across their only exit and went out for the rest of the day, they were not happy bunnies.

Tegan Fri 29-May-15 14:58:24

Were they from Springwatch? There was a section about hen harriers last night [I think it was last night] but that was on a remote Scottish Island.

ninathenana Fri 29-May-15 15:02:46

newist That's trespass and I'd have told them I'd called police (I probably wouldn't)

Flipping rude anyway without asking, let alone using your drive.

merlotgran Fri 29-May-15 15:02:54

Friends of ours had to politely see Bill Oddie off their land years ago when he was taking part in the RSPB Bird Race. His team were climbing over fences and trampling through crops. DH was on a rival team and heard later that BO was rude and arrogant in a 'Do you know who I am?' kind of way.

merlotgran Fri 29-May-15 15:04:28

I thought newist lived on a remote Scottish Island or am I thinking of another Gnetter?

newist Fri 29-May-15 15:28:09

I live in The Outer Hebrides

J52 Fri 29-May-15 15:32:13

How rude of them! Am I right in thinking that there are no trespass laws in Scotland?

I should know! We've had people looking for their dogs in our garden, uninvited! x

newist Fri 29-May-15 15:57:41

Yes that's right, as long as they don't do damage. There are no laws about "telling these people off" though

newist Fri 29-May-15 16:03:30

The problem is, we live on a single track road, albeit an A road, some passing places are not big enough to park in, which is illegal anyway,

so If they see a bird they want to photograph they will pull in anywhere,

PRINTMISS Sat 30-May-15 08:06:45

Yes, but how lovely to have those birds so near to you to watch - I envy you that, but fully appreciate your quite justified annoyance at the intrusion.

Greyduster Sat 30-May-15 08:38:44

Only seen hen harriers once, on the Ousefleet Washes reserve. Unforgettable. I think I would be extremely annoyed if it were my property these twitchers were invading. As a rule, they are so focused on finding rare sightings to add to their life lists that all consideration and good manners go out of the window.

ffinnochio Sat 30-May-15 08:59:00

Send your twitchers here Newist. We have quite a few; Montague Harriers as well. They are delightful birds aren't they. smile

newist Sat 30-May-15 14:21:49

They are so beautiful to watch ffinniochio, I love the owls, we have a resident one who hunts all day, then rests on our fence posts.
We are not twitchers but we do love and feed the birds all year round I even make cakes for the baby sparrows, we have 4 families just now in the guttering, How the little birds survive here amazes me, there's no trees to speak of, a few hours daylight in the winter, then the wind to contend with.
I have just been watching a family of Oyster Catchers, running round the garden, the mother pecking for worms, and the 2 chicks running after her pinching her worms

Gagagran Sat 30-May-15 14:41:10

I'm watching the on-line webcam on top of Chichester Cathedral every day.There are 3 peregrine chicks being raised there by attentive parents. It's a bit sad to see the ready meals of fresh pigeon being brought in but that's Nature I suppose and part of the food chain. Fascinating to be able to watch the feathers coming through the mass of white down on the chicks and the parents' feathers are just beautiful.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=chicken+pox&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-GBGB577GB580&oq=Chic&aqs=chrome.5.69i60l3j69i65j69i57j0.21746j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Gagagran Sat 30-May-15 14:53:13

www.chichesterperegrines.co.uk/live%20link.htm

Wrong link (chicken pox?) Sorry! Try this one! blush

Galen Sat 30-May-15 15:07:17

Do you often sit on top of Chichester cathedral?

Nelliemoser Sat 30-May-15 15:37:08

Galen grin

PRINTMISS Sat 30-May-15 16:27:07

The cafe at the Cathedral has a garden, and it is possible to watch the Peregrines from there. They do of course have a constant larder of fast food, but it is nature that makes them dive/hunt the pigeons, and since we have an abundance of them, I do not feel particularly sorry to see them go.

Gagagran Sat 30-May-15 16:52:28

Well the Cathedral roof is a bit high up and it gets very breezy. The garden cafe is very pleasant but I actually prefer to watch the web-cam shots on my desktop! wink

PRINTMISS Sun 31-May-15 15:58:07

On a day like today, Gagagran you are very wise! grin