Gransnet forums

Chat

*Its not fair*!

(42 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 01-Jul-15 18:49:00

All I've heard about, read or seen on the telly is how amazingly hot it is today. I obediently put on cotton stuff, closed blinds, opened windows, bought salads etc.Result? I had to change into warmer clothes, close windows to keep out the chill mist and rain and put the lights on as its so dark. DH complaining about having salad. Pah! Fed up!

Marelli Wed 01-Jul-15 18:56:25

Lovely this morning,*Jane10*, but this afternoon it went all overcast and dismal sad. Maybe it's because we're so close to the Forth?

durhamjen Wed 01-Jul-15 18:57:28

My grandson and I were sitting in the garden this afternoon, with the thermometer registering 41 C. We were reading about extreme weather.
Suddenly it went dark, thunder and lightning, and he forgot all the reasons we need storms and rain, ran inside, hands over ears, trembling, and getting annoyed with me for telling him to watch.

Jane10 Wed 01-Jul-15 19:15:11

Aww poor boy! There's something primevally scary about thunderstorms

J52 Wed 01-Jul-15 19:28:55

Still sitting out, it's boiling hot in Leicestershire! Sun still high in the sky.

Cooler tomorrow I hope, I've sat in the same spot for nearl two days!
x

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jul-15 19:30:09

I used to be very frightened of them.

FarNorth Wed 01-Jul-15 19:31:21

We've had gorgeous warm weather the last two days but wind getting up now and looking like rain.
The weather sure seems confused these days confused

Anne58 Wed 01-Jul-15 19:32:48

Partly agree jane10 with the primeval bit, but not the scary! I find the raw power of a storm fascinating. Of course I'm not talking about life threatening ones, tsunamis, tornado etc, just the thunder and lightening that we get.

I remember years ago with exdh, we had a long spell of hot, sultry weather. The one evening as I was watering the plants, the sky seemed to go a sort of yellow colour, then the thunder rumbled and the rain began.

For some reason, I wanted to dance naked in the rain, I suppose perhaps because it had been so hot for so long, but it felt like an almost primeval response to what was happening. (Hope this makes sense!)

annsixty Wed 01-Jul-15 19:33:24

So did I Nelliemoser when suddenly I wasn't, not just scared but terrified and now I can sleep through them.

Anne58 Wed 01-Jul-15 19:39:41

A question for those that used to be frightened/terrified of storms, what actually was it that you were afraid of? (justaskinginanoseysortofway#)

durhamjen Wed 01-Jul-15 19:45:37

My grandson has ASD. Noise upsets him, babies, children, gunshot ( we live in the countryside and often hear guns in the fields around), traffic that's too loud.
I do not understand the thunder, though, as it's a different pitch to any other sound that upsets him. It could be the unpredictability of the intensity of the noise.

petra Wed 01-Jul-15 19:45:49

Still terrified. At that first loud clap of thunder I scream and then run. I don't know where I'm running to, it's just a terror that I have to get away from.
I wish I could enjoy it like my family does.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jul-15 19:50:34

The frightening noise and the lightening. My older sister did once scare tell me that you could die if you stood by a window when lightening struck, but really don't think that was as scary as power of the storm themselves.

I was just talking to DD this afternoon there had been a storm where she lives. When she was about 10 we were in a gite in the French Alps and there was an appallingly heavy storm. She was so scared she insisted on climbing into my side of the bed. One hot frightened ten yr old sharing a bed in a hot damp thunderstorm was not fun. My son slept through.

annsixty Wed 01-Jul-15 19:55:52

I don't know *Phoenix *just know I was. I would be watching the weather forecast with unnatural dread during the summer and nights with one forecast were a nightmare but suddenly it wasn't a problem. I was once on holiday in Switzerland and those storms in the mountains were horrendous, how I survived it I don't really know and then one in the Dolomites when we flying home a few hours later. I think I was carried onto the plane and so irrational except to those who know

rosesarered Wed 01-Jul-15 20:20:29

I love storms, the more the merrier.Today has been boiling hot here we have only just managed by having blinds closed fans at full tilt lots of cold drinks and quiche and salad to eat.Heavy rain here tomorrow morning though.

Teetime Wed 01-Jul-15 20:22:06

Still sticky and hot here in Leicestershire was very windy earlier but now just sultry - bit sticky sitting on the leather sofa!! also had two large glasses of vino which probably on reflection wasn't that wise.

Jane10 Wed 01-Jul-15 20:30:21

Durhamjen thunderstorms include a whole sensory barrage -sound(frequency and intensity) vibration, sudden light flashes, a literal change in the air (negative ions?) etc etc. No wonder a person with ASD finds them hard to endure, all that and the unpredictability of it. Interesting that animals aren't usually happy in them either.

vampirequeen Wed 01-Jul-15 20:30:53

Still hot here in East Yorkshire. Flowers in the garden are loving it. So many have bloomed in the last couple of days.

I love thunderstorms. It's the sheer power involved. My aunt is so scared she opens all the windows and doors (apparently if the lightening strikes it will go straight through the house and out the other side), unplugs all electric appliances, opens the cutlery draw (not sure about the reasoning for that) and cowers on the sofa until it's over.

rosesarered Wed 01-Jul-15 20:42:07

grin

J52 Wed 01-Jul-15 20:49:31

I used to be very frightened of thunderstorms, until I lived, for a short time in a 17th floor apartment. The lightening was beneath us and such a wonderful display.

They don't worry me any more.

x

annodomini Wed 01-Jul-15 21:02:37

As a teenager I was scared of thunderstorms - so much so that if there was a storm I would take all the metal grips out of my hair in case got struck by lightning. Then one day, we were in my dad's car driving down through the northern Pennines when there was a huge thunderstorm and I was so overawed by the power and beauty of the lightning that I forgot to be frightened. I saw some wonderful storms in East Africa in the '60s too.

ninathenana Wed 01-Jul-15 22:11:54

We had rain here this afternoon about 4 pm. By 4.03 it was over.
Still sticky here.

durhamjen Wed 01-Jul-15 22:45:14

Just noticed the moon, and it's a very strange orange/red colour. I presume that must be the storm that's causing it.

Jane10, after the storm had gone over this afternoon, I stood in the porch, and managed to persuade my grandson to look at the lightning in the hills around. He was okay when he could not hear the thunder, providing I was holding him, but he was quivering still. He even took off his headphones!

He wants to be a postman, so he's going to have to get used to the weather. He'll run a 5k in the rain, as it's just water.

durhamjen Thu 02-Jul-15 00:22:30

Still lots of big flashes and thunder over towards Durham.
My grandson will not be asleep.

harrigran Thu 02-Jul-15 01:06:35

I am sitting in the study watching the lightning on the CCTV monitor, it is every second or two.
I used to be terrified as a child and even as an adult I preferred to hide behind a cushion. I thought aversion therapy would work so bought a CD of thunderstorms and played it over and over until I was comfortable listening to the thunderclaps. The lightning took a little longer but I can cope now. I think my fear dates back to when I was 5 years old and the lightning hit our garden fence and ran along the wire that was holding the raspberry bushes in place. Most storms used to shake the chimney and the soot would come down into the room and make a dreadful mess.