Gransnet forums

Chat

I love our caravan

(68 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 02-Jul-15 15:37:50

I was chatting to my daughter about our next planned break. She laughed and said that we were always away now and were like real retired people (not sure what unreal retired people are lol).

The thing is we now have a caravan and we've discovered how easy it is to nip away for a few days. Tbh I hadn't thought about it but we were away at Easter, May Day weekend, during Whit Week and mid June. We've already booked to go away at the end of July and the end of August and we're in the process of looking for somewhere for mid August. Then of course there will be Sept, Oct and onwards until the weather finally breaks too much. Our caravan has central heating so cooler weather isn't a problem.

I've never had so many holidays and long weekends. We go to such beautiful places and if you look around you can find small campsites for around £10 a night including electricity.

I'm seriously in danger of becoming a caravan evangelist grin

HappyNan1 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:10:06

I've never liked caravans but you make it sound very tempting vampire queen. Always thought you still do all the cooking etc but in a tiny space. Think caravans have improved a lot since then Wouldn't like to see me park one thoughgrin

merlotgran Thu 02-Jul-15 16:23:27

I've always wanted a caravan but DH couldn't be more against them because his parents had a horrible accident in theirs on a motorway in high winds. Luckily they were unharmed but car and van were both right offs and we had to go and rescue them as they were so shocked.

I do all the driving now which wouldn't bother me but DH would be a nervous wreck so not worth the aggro.

We just do short hotel breaks now which is nice for me because I don't have to lift a finger.

rosesarered Thu 02-Jul-15 17:23:07

You sound like a really happy camper VQ , caravans are great fun, although I haven't been in one for a while, enjoyed many great holidays with our DC in them years ago.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 02-Jul-15 17:30:33

My feet were always cold in our caravan, even with heater on. Lovely on a warm summer's day though. Nice to be able to step outside and star watch. I sort of miss ours, but this car now hasn't even got a tow bar.

I used to like sitting on the porta-potty in the toilet tent close to the hedge, with the zip partially undone and watching the insects in the hedgerow flowers. Lovely in the sunshine. These days, of course, the lav would be a cassette in the shower room.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 02-Jul-15 17:31:15

I meant star watching at night of course.

ninathenana Thu 02-Jul-15 17:50:44

I'd love one, but as I'm the only driver the thought of towing scares the life out of me !
We have half heartedly talked about a small motor home or a VW camper, but heavens they're pricy.

vampirequeen Thu 02-Jul-15 18:30:45

I have to admit that DH does the towing but only because my license doesn't allow me to unless I pass a towing course (post 1997 pass).

Parking the caravan is easy now if you have a motor mover. You simply stand in front of the caravan with a remote control in your hand and it moves back, forward, left and right depending which button you press.

Our caravan has central heating, air conditioning, shower, cassette toilet, over and hob, microwave and fridge. It sounds posh but we bought it second hand. It was actually made in 2004.

If you're thinking about a mobile home look at the older ones. Often they have very low mileage because people barely use them.

hildajenniJ Thu 02-Jul-15 18:52:49

I have never been a fan of the caravan. When I go away, even if it's just for the weekend, I like to be looked after. No meals to make or washing up to do. That being said though, we are taking the DGC to a static caravan on a holiday park in a couple of week's time.smile

annodomini Thu 02-Jul-15 19:09:50

We had a fairly primitive caravan when ex was still around but we had some great holidays in it. I had no qualms about towing it but on one occasion had a shock when, coming over Shap on the M6, the van started to 'snake'. I could do nothing but gradually change down and move gently into the side where it was found that ex hadn't put the stabiliser on securely. Thank goodness I was the one driving!

vampirequeen Thu 02-Jul-15 19:24:01

I don't mind the cooking etc. It seems different in the caravan and it's the difference between one shortish break a year or lots of breaks. We have an everyone shares the chores rule and it doesn't seem as much to do.

HappyNan1 Thu 02-Jul-15 19:44:55

It sounds like you have great fun vq and that's what really matters, enjoysmile

sprite66 Thu 02-Jul-15 19:50:15

We bought a VW Camper when we retired but have been wondering about swopping to a caravan- so found this post very interesting. Seems camping is like Marmite. Don't think we would like the towing bit so have been wondering about keeping the caravan on a site all year round. We have lots of spur of the moment short breaks, mainly in Cornwall. The camper is small but with an awning there's plenty of space for 2. (plus one fold away whippet)
Don't find the cooking a bother, seems different away as Vampirequeen says.
Also really like the no TV!

vampirequeen Thu 02-Jul-15 21:56:40

I like the no TV bit too. Those with TVs miss so much because they tend to lock themselves away by 7.30 to make sure they keep up with the soaps. Those without TVs tend to stay outside longer and enjoy the evening air and watch the sunsets.

ginny Fri 03-Jul-15 12:35:50

Love ours too. We have had a 'van since our eldest was a small baby so, 37 years now. We have spent many happy holidays and breaks here and abroad. Campsites are very different these days and we find it all very relaxing. All 3 of our DDs and their families enjoy camping and we have some wonderful times with them.
vampirequeen I agree with you about the TV. We do take one but it is only used if we have very bad weather even when Dgc are with us.

numberplease Fri 03-Jul-15 13:10:23

We loved our tourer, but due to ill health, we sadly had to sell it a few months ago. We`ll miss it, holidays have gone from being very affordable to being just once in a blue moon now.

Grannyknot Fri 03-Jul-15 13:14:31

vampire but those with the option to record programmes also get to sit out in the evenings wink

I would love a caravan and I constantly fantasise about it. I would like a static caravan somewhere near the sea that I can use as a "bolthole" and to get out of London. I'd be happy to share it with whoever in the family would like to join me! smile

The hurdle that I have to overcome in persuading husband is the dire look of most of the caravan parks with row upon row of similar "portacabins" all on top of each other and not a tree in sight ... it literally makes him shudder. Are there any that are more park like and not so bare?! Please tell me there are.

kittylester Fri 03-Jul-15 13:30:48

Look at Holiday Lodges GK. We've just sold ours as we didn't use it much.

I reckon I've done my share of cooking and doing it in a small space would drive me mad. We have done camping and caravanning holidays since DS1 was 5 (so 40 years) I've earned being waited on! grin

Seriously, though, it's good that we are different, isn't it! sunshine

Scooter58 Fri 03-Jul-15 13:59:02

I have wanted a caravan for years,had great caravan holidays as a child and have craved a caravan ever since.I dont drive a car,only a motorbike and I had nowhere to store a van.Last year my friend offered me storage if I bought a van and another friend offered to tow it.I bought a small 2 berth and awning last summer,total cost only £750 and managed to get away twice and loved every minute of it.Hoping to get away a few times this summer,thank goodness for good friends.

vampirequeen Fri 03-Jul-15 15:48:06

Sounds brilliant, Scooter. When we were looking at caravans the salesman at one store insisted on showing us new vans we couldn't possibly afford. I'm not sure if he thought he could persuade us and sign us up for a credit deal but that's not what we wanted even if we'd have been accepted.

We ended up buying a 2004 van that must have been state of the art when it was new and like a lot of vans we looked at it had hardly been used. I doubt it will be so pristine when we finish with it simply because it will be well used.

Now we craving an inflatable awning. We have a small awning with carbon rods but we want something a bit bigger without being too big and even easier to put up. Also we want to be able to add an annex at a later date when the children become too big for the bunk beds. I think I've found the one for us but now we have to find around £600 so could be a dream for a while longer lol.

bikergran Fri 03-Jul-15 16:10:06

aww I loved our little caravan,we got it a bit late as didn't get that many chances to go away but e njoyed the times we did, it reminded me of playing in a wendy house, and the food always tasted better, and sat in the awning ain the evening with gals of wine happy memories smile

Grannyknot Fri 03-Jul-15 16:13:47

Thanks kitty I will smile

I want one more than ever since reading this thread.

numberplease Fri 03-Jul-15 16:45:15

Cooking wasn`t too much of a chore for me, when on holiday I only used frozen and tinned food, and we had a halogen oven, so cooking times were cut even more, so really no problem. I still have the link to our favourite site in Scotland in my favourites, keep looking at it, although it also makes me sad that we won`t be going there anymore.
www.muasdaleholidays.com

ginny Fri 03-Jul-15 17:27:56

Cooking is no problem . Lots of BBQs, grills and simple one pot meals. Fish and chips, take aways, the odd meal out.

vampirequeen Fri 03-Jul-15 19:07:32

I use a slow cooker. Chuck the raw food in. Go out for the day. Come back to a meal.