Gransnet forums

Chat

Accused of racism

(128 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 06-Jul-15 09:48:16

As I have been accused of racism on another thread I would like to make it clear that I am not and have never been a racist.

There is no need for anyone to reply to this post. I simply want to put it on record that the accusation is base and false.

Nonnie Mon 06-Jul-15 10:15:06

Not seen it (happy about that) but I do know of someone who uses the race card when cornered as an excuse to attach when they are in the wrong.

HappyNan1 Mon 06-Jul-15 11:49:17

Vq I think one can easily be accused of being racist by making a simple observation. I haven't seen your other things and I'm sure you aren't racist. It's getting to the stage where you have to be so careful before saying anything. Unfortunately I sometimes speak before engaging the brain, sigh.sad

Jane10 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:04:22

Lots of racists think they aren't! I'm definitely not saying vq is - just that self declaration doesn't necessarily count as the actual truth! Maybe racism is in the eye of the beholder?

Anniebach Mon 06-Jul-15 12:15:31

VQ did not make a racist comment and it is horrid being accused of doing so even if the accuser made an error the accusation is there

Eloethan Mon 06-Jul-15 12:34:33

It might have been better if you had put this comment on the thread in question because I don't know what was said or why.

Galen Mon 06-Jul-15 12:44:21

Or me

Stansgran Mon 06-Jul-15 12:48:23

It is such a lazy argument calling someone a racist isn't it? I loathe and detest hijab,burkas and similar. From a feminist point of view. Equally FGM and yet there are still those who say it's a cultural thing so it is right. I think they are the racists personally. Didn't see the original thread or if I did didn't notice.

Anya Mon 06-Jul-15 13:26:47

Nor me.

Marmight Mon 06-Jul-15 13:28:49

'English Votes for English Laws' - if you can be a****d to refer back!
I was once in the early days of GN, quite unjustly, accused of being a racist when I referred to the then President of France as a 'little w***el' ( I won't type it in full in case the same person accuses me again but it's a small stoat like carnivore). I soon got over the accusation and put it down to confusion on the part of the accuser .... wink

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 15:00:13

VQ you wrote some unpleasant things about 'the English ' a sort of racism surely.Even if you are English yourself.That is what people object to. can't imagine why you would have written it, unless to attract comment?this is yet another thread about a thread.

Ceesnan Mon 06-Jul-15 15:39:35

I can't find where vq is meant to have said some "unpleasant things about the English" . Unless, of course, it was the "superior" comment, and surely that was light hearted and couldn't possibly be taken seriously.......?

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 15:44:49

How do we know it was light hearted , I did't seem so at all.

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 15:45:35

That's what the grin emoticon is for.

Ceesnan Mon 06-Jul-15 15:54:08

Maybe I should have said that I assumed it was light hearted, just as you assumed it was racist. Prime example of how easily comments can be misconstrued. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it anyway. Light hearted smile

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 16:05:18

Quite right, we shouldn't lose any sleep over anything at all on the forum, it's just a chat vehicle.

Jane10 Mon 06-Jul-15 16:17:54

Except that people seem to find it easier to type things that they wouldn't say to someone's face.

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 16:31:40

I guess that the reason for that is that we generally save our face to face chat for our friends.also, to be fair, this is a chat and opinion forum, you have to be a bit robust from time to time, although 'real insults' don't happen all that often on here unlike some forums.

petra Mon 06-Jul-15 16:34:25

Jane10. I'm the reverse. I'm much more honest in person to person.

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 16:36:10

Petra grin

NanKate Mon 06-Jul-15 16:43:03

Marmight I can't for the life of me see how calling the French President after a rodent can be seen as racist, a bit cheeky maybe but that's all in my opinion.

I once, very naively, started a thread about how politically correct we had become in the UK and I was assaulted with a torrent of negative comments and now hide behind the barricade and a avoid these kind of threads.

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 16:45:17

NanKate, would you like to borrow the tin hat that I borrowed from somebody a while ago?We circulate it for those in need.grin

NanKate Mon 06-Jul-15 17:43:20

Yes Roses thanks so much! but will it mess up my hair smile ?

Ana Mon 06-Jul-15 17:50:32

Yes, it will give you 'helmet-hair' NanKate, but if you don't wear it while under fire you risk it standing on end! grin

merlotgran Mon 06-Jul-15 17:51:11

During his racing years, Niki Lauda was nicknamed the rat because of his small eyes and sticky out teeth. I don't remember anyone getting their knickers in a twist in those far off days of not looking for something to pounce on and being able to take a joke.