Gransnet forums

Chat

An analytical approach to retirement?

(42 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-15 11:49:44

I read an interesting article in our latest U3A local journal. In it, a lady wrote about how she approached retirement planning in a very analytical manner. She identified two axes - Active versus still and interactive versus solitary. She then plotted her various activities to fit these evenly. I tried it and was pretty appalled at the findings in my case. We all know how important it is to keep physically active and engaged with others. I found that I had lots of interactive activity but it was mostly sedentary ( various classes,coffees and chats!) , some solitary but sedentary (writing and TV viewing) , but a horrifyingly low amount of physical activity when plotted on a table (I did an hours count). From this I could see that I should try to find a physical form of interaction eg a walking group. I know I could have worked this out if I'd really thought about it but I hadn't really thought about it!
Like everyone I greatly fear dementia and had been focusing on intellectual stimulation but I simply have to up my physical activity level. Sigh.

soontobe Sat 29-Aug-15 17:40:26

I sort of intend to do that sort of thing when I am older.

I know someone who thinks dementia can be slightly prevented by going outside a lot. So she keeps chivvying older people outdoors. I dont know if she is right or not. She is especially concerned about people who are in old people's homes, who dont go out much and then sometimes get dementia.

whitewave Sat 29-Aug-15 17:44:05

When we were on holiday in the Dales we happened to chat to some elderly folk outside a home and I said try not to get burnt- it was during our 1 hot week this summer- and they said "we get put outside to air" which made me titter.

Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-15 18:05:58

I just have to get off my backside more. Sigh. I find Gransnetting very interactive yet it is sedentary and something done on my own -don't quite know where it would fit on my activity chart thingy.

Iam64 Sun 30-Aug-15 09:24:40

I gets a bit stir crazy if I don't get at least an hour's morning walk, whatever the weather. Dogs are great, you have to walk despite aching hips, knees or feet so out you go. The dog walking community is a largely friendly, supportive group of people.
I started but stopped going to the local knit and knatter group because it was hijacked (imo) by someone who insisted we all knit bits of things charity. I found this individual very off putting, judgemental and controlling and couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. A knitting group has started up in the next village so I'll try that.
Otherwise, I keep in touch with friends, but Jane10's OP has made me think about the benefits of other communal activities.

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 09:33:09

Thought provoking Jane. I do deliberately keep active, as Iam said dogs are great for this and I have my own and The Hussy staying over so I must get out and walk them soon.

My social life has centred around my family, especially my GC, since we moved to be near them and I left friends behind. I've had little time to make new ones in the last 8 years but I have had a couple of volunteering jobs which take me out of myself a bit.

Did try the U3A but all the clubs I was interested in were full.

vegasmags Sun 30-Aug-15 09:43:50

It is quite difficult, I find, to get the balance right. I have been trying to improve my physical fitness over the last few months, so I am quite conscious of the amount of time I can quite easily spend on my backside. I can't afford gym membership, nor does it really appeal to me, but I use the car now only when absolutely necessary and have built a lot of walking into my everyday activities. I can see though that this is going to be more difficult to sustain over the winter months.

I am quite good at amusing myself as I have lots of hobbies that I enjoy on my own, but living alone as I do, I sometimes have to make a bit of an effort to ensure I don't turn into a hermit. I belong to a French class, a book group and a choral society, but I find it very difficult to turn acquaintances into friends. It always seems to be that most people already have established friendships and are not looking for new friends.

I have 4 or 5 close friends, some of whom live at a distance, but nevertheless are very important to me. My family also are at opposite ends of the country, although I see them regularly. I think there are times in your life, such as being at university or the parent of young children, when it seems very easy to make friends, but I find it harder the older I get.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 09:54:39

Yes I can see your point vegas. The people I meet in the various classes and groups are very nice and friendly but its the old long-term ones that seem the real friends. Living in town I'm lucky that its easy to find sociable activities. I'm also making a point of reducing car use and walking as much as poss. I did join a gym but hated the artificial exercise on those machines and shouty classes! I reckon dog walking would be excellent and I've offered to do this for a friend who's shortly having a hip op. I'm glad I read that article it really made me think!

Teetime Sun 30-Aug-15 10:02:36

I agree about finding a balance but I don't think I would be any good at plotting my life out on graph paper. the last time I saw the GP a survey popped up on his computer and he asked me if I would do it with him regarding my level of exercise. when I told him what I do he was very pleased I asked hi if it was enough and he relied 'more than most'. I still don't have an idea if the balance is right for me but I feel I don't have enough of the social relaxing non exercise kind and don't know how to right this. I play golf 2/3 times a week so that's 16 hours in the fresh air. 1 Zumba Gold session a week and every now an then like yesterday do a big walk (8miles). If I have time I pop down to the gym a couple of times a week. We always walk into town a couple of times a week (3miles there and back) and I'm very active around the house and garden. I'm still concerned that I am fat and flabby though and feel guilty about everything I eat. I'm a trustee of a charity and am in the building of developing business plans for that so I'm hoping that will keep the brain active. It does feel that it isn't enough though. I am well and truly guilt tripped by the health police.

MargaretX Sun 30-Aug-15 10:10:54

If there really was anything which could delay or prevent dementia then it would be known. It is all supposition. As long as you are healthy then spend your retirement doing what pleases and satifies you. Being Sporty if you don't like it, builds up stress!
Dont you have housework to do? Don't forgett a lot of theses blogs and articles etc are aimed at men who, after leaving work just sit either at home, in the pub or at the betting shop, smoking.
Clean your windows more often and walk to the shops or best of all get a dog and take it for walks.
The U3a is glad to take any article especially if it makes older people feel guilty or at least gives them the feeling they should be doing something - preferably at the U3A.
I think joining courses eg photography or cookery or languages is better if you sit in a class with all ages not just with retired people

janeainsworth Sun 30-Aug-15 10:36:44

Jane I'm assuming you plot the graph in quadrants and place your activity in the appropriate box?

My big gap is in the still/solitary category. I really must find more time to play the piano and sit quietly reading all by myself!

rosesarered Sun 30-Aug-15 10:57:53

Good post MargaretX, I agree completely.Spending retirement doing what pleases us,combined with some duty things, a bit of volunteering and maybe gardening is what I try and do.It's a good life balance, rather than grimly doing excercises.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 11:37:09

I'm trying to mix things up a bit. I've joined another class which will be interactive but I can't actually get to it without a significant walk. No parking and no convenient bus stop. I definitely do what I enjoy doing but found that I was reading, writing and watching TV for literally hours on end. Definitely not good and I'm feeling it too. Its as if there's a cut out mechanism on my energy and I just run out of puff so easily. Nothing physically wrong (I've checked) just have to build up my stamina. Enjoyable physical activity is the key for me.

janeainsworth Sun 30-Aug-15 11:57:27

I have just acquired a bike jane10, the first proper bike I've ever owned, a hybrid with 21 gears shock
I'm using it to go to the supermarket, to Zumba and tennis, as well as going for bike rides with friends & having lunch at the pub.
So more exercise and less car use, win-win smile

JoniBGoode Sun 30-Aug-15 15:23:58

MargaretX - I agree with everything you have said.

I prefer mixed age company as I find retired people are mostly either moaning or boasting.

Years ago I suggested to my MIL that she joined an over 60's club, and she said that she didn't want to be with a lot of old people, which I thought funny as I considered her to be old herself. I think I know what she meant now though.

soontobe Sun 30-Aug-15 15:30:13

If there really was anything which could delay or prevent dementia then it would be known

Not so sure about that. Knowledge, especially in health and medicine, isnt likely to be the same in 100 years. Even in dementia I suspect. Hopefully.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 15:35:54

Latest findings emphasise the need to keep physically active and engaged socially. That shouldn't be impossible so I'm consciously trying to use my time a bit better. I'd slumped into a comfortable chatty rut! Full marks to janeainsworth on her intrepid bike use. I could never go a bike when I was younger so certainly won't be doing that now!

petra Sun 30-Aug-15 15:36:05

The person refered to in the OP. Just the sort of person I would love to be stuck with on a long flight NOT!! Sounds as if they could bore for the Olympics.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 15:37:51

She got me thinking petra. I'd never have thought to address it in that way myself but you live and learn!

Henanbien64 Sun 30-Aug-15 15:58:07

I think that when you reach a certain time, it doesn't matter what people think you ought to do. Health discussions change all the time. We are privileged to be here. You must absolutely do what YOU want and be happy and contented. Your heart will know what is right for you.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 16:00:16

I just want to keep it beating Henanbien!

MargaretX Sun 30-Aug-15 16:52:34

I think you belong to the 'worried well' jane there are a lot of us around today compared to the generations of our mothers and grandmothers. Both my grandmothers were not ones to go on a bike with or to the cinema. They were good hard working Yorkshire people and worn out! Just tired and worn out with work.
So! We have been lucky and now have the leisure to worry about getting dementia or heart disease of watching too much TV. Try to cheer up a bit and if you can't then you might be a bit depressed. The people who have dementia have been shown that they don't go so rapidly downhill when they are active, but their brains are already altered and that does not improve with exercise but it is thought the illness could be slowed down with more activity.
For the people who have demetia and their carers they need something to give them hope and these new bits of news and clinical research programmes are something for them to hold onto. I wish I could believe it but I am a retired scientist and up to now have not seen or read anything that gives real hope. But it can come who knows! Its not for want of trying.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 17:17:50

Margaret depression really isn't a worry for me! I just have far less physical activity than social and plan to do something about it. Too much sitting around chatting and having a laugh!

JoniBGoode Sun 30-Aug-15 18:52:51

Great post Margaretx (again!)

Also agree with Petra that the person mentioned in the original OP sounds like they could bore for England. I don't think you need to plot a graph to tell you that you need to do more physical activity. If you are fat and lazy -get off the sofa. End of.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 20:06:06

Duh! I had hoped you'd picked up that I know that fine well I was just interested in the analytical approach.