Gransnet forums

Chat

Update after food sensitivity testing

(32 Posts)
nanapug Sat 26-Sep-15 12:20:17

A few weeks back I mentioned on here that I had had blood tests for food sensitivities so I thought I would feed back on the outcomes. A few of you were a little sceptical about it (which I understand) but it was done by a reputable person through a reputable company and I felt so dreadful that I was prepared to try anything.
Well, the outcome has been incredible. I was told I was extremely sensitive to all dairy and eggs and also sensitive to sunflower oil, lentils and grapes. So for about a month now all these things have been excluded from my diet (sunflower oil being the hardest funnily enough as it is in so much).
I can not get over how much better I feel. I am no longer bloated and uncomfortable, I have so much more energy, when I wake up in the morning after an amazing nights sleep I am wide awake and not sleepy, I am not tired in the day and my joints are so much better. However the thing that I find most interesting is that I no longer crave rubbish. I am eating so healthily and can happily sit with people eating cakes for instance (which of course I can't have) and I have no desire for them at all. It's quite fascinating. They do say that one craves the things you should not be having and it seems that that is true in my case.
I know I sound like a born again food intolerance tester but I just wanted to share as I feel so good. I have just realised that this sounds like an advert. I promise you it isn't.
I am off to a wedding next month so am not looking forward to having to work my way round the food there though so it does have its down side, and Indian take away is now out of the question, which is very sad!!

Tegan Sat 26-Sep-15 13:04:55

When I did a detox and eliminated a lot of food from my diet I felt amazing and wish I could have stuck to it. Our bodies use up a lot of energy coping with foodstuffs that aren't suitable for us. I'm going through a bread eating phase at the moment and am feeling lousy which is stupid of me given that I don't have to eat it.

nanapug Sat 26-Sep-15 13:54:38

Yes, sounds to me that you need to cut the bread out Tegan, it's hard though isn't it? I don't know why I found it so much easier when I saw for my own eyes in black and white which things were affecting me.

rosequartz Sat 26-Sep-15 13:55:18

Yes, I am having a bit of a carbohydrate phase at the moment and it isn't doing me any good at all.
Stupid, I know.

loopylou Sat 26-Sep-15 16:39:10

Really good to hear nanapug!

I get phases of craving bread...... Seriously daft I know.

harrigran Sat 26-Sep-15 18:10:46

It is extremely unwise to eliminate whole food groups from your diet before being advised by a medical expert.

nanapug Sun 27-Sep-15 10:54:31

I agree harrigran but what do you mean by a whole food group?

Tegan Sun 27-Sep-15 11:04:40

I guess that excluding all dairy and eggs means that one has to be very careful about eating more calcium rich food.

nanapug Sun 27-Sep-15 11:22:32

Yes, but luckily alternative milks like the rice milk or soya milk I use have added calcium. I do miss eggs as they were my "go to" thing when I was poorly, but I actually had very few. I must admit I have never been convinced about cows milk anyway. So many people can't tolerate it and we are the only animal that drinks another animal's milk!! We are so lucky nowadays to have such amazing alternatives so it makes ensuring you have a complete diet so much easier. I am certainly eating far better, purely because I am now very restricted with ready made meals and have to cook from scratch. It means I have cut out all cakes and biscuits (no bad thing) and eat masses more vegetables and fruit.

nanapug Sat 03-Oct-15 12:09:22

Just out of interest I have now discovered another benefit from this change in my diet. My blood pressure has gone down considerably. So much so I am considering stopping one of my tablets. That has got to be good smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 13:20:24

I think the important thing is a balanced diet. Not too much of any one food group. I'm sorry but I think the current fashion of food intolerances is a dangerous pathway.

Placebo effect nanapug?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 13:21:35

Cats drink milk btw! And no doubt other animals would if they had the chance.

Ana Sat 03-Oct-15 13:25:00

Milk is bad for cats.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 13:28:07

Mine thrived on it.

[tso]

wink

nanapug Sun 04-Oct-15 13:08:35

I have a very healthy, balanced diet jinglebellsfrocks, actually more so than before I started this as I am doing far more home cooking. I am aware there is a great deal of scepticism about this sort of thing but it is my choice and I know I am feeling well now, as opposed to feeling unable to function properly prior to being tested and removing a few things from my diet; so whatever the reason I will continue to avoid the foods identified. The reason I have shared this is for people to read about it and then, if they choose, go on to have a look further at it. Many people are open minded and prepared to look into things and then make a decision as to whether it is right for them. As an intelligent person, and I really struggle with people who tell me what is right and what is wrong, and seem to know everything, and it reminds me why I rarely come on here.

Anniebach Sun 04-Oct-15 13:49:49

nanapug, I am very interested in learning how your change of diet is helping you, please don't stop sharing the improvements , I have thought about having a test

nanapug Sun 04-Oct-15 15:22:05

Thank you. It has to be a blood test through a reputable company recommended by a professional Anniebach. It was my osteopath who recommended it for me and I was comfortable with it as she is a very intelligent professional person. I really was at my wits end before I had it done as I felt so ill and in so much pain and discomfort. I was falling asleep in the day and couldn't function. The change was dramatic, within a week I was in far less pain, was not needing to sleep in the day and had so much more energy. Whether it is the change of diet or all in my mind I couldn't care. Something has happened!!

durhamjen Sun 04-Oct-15 15:30:56

It can't be placebo effect, jingl.
Nanapug has not added anything, just stopped eating a whole food group, dairy, and a few other things.

Lona Sun 04-Oct-15 15:45:58

Food intolerance is not a fashion, it's very debilitating. I was tested years ago when I started to get migraines every day. My daughter has been suffering for a few years too, but since eliminating quite a lot of foods, she is much better.
I manage mine now, and as long as I have very little bread and mostly coconut milk instead of cows' milk, I'm fine too.
Glad you're feeling better nanapug sunshine

annodomini Sun 04-Oct-15 16:11:29

Some cats do have food intolerances. One of mine couldn't tolerate milk and particularly cream. Poultry made him very sick which didn't stop him guzzling when the neighbours put the remains of the Christmas turkey out on the lawn for the birds.

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 17:32:47

A lot of people are lactose intolerant.
And eggs can cause allergies.

mariann Mon 05-Oct-15 10:18:34

I kept my last cat off milk from the start. Ridiculous. I believed all that nonsense. He loved milk and cream, so started softening the neighbours up and had quite a few women who gave him milk. One used to give him the remains of trout braised in sour cream.

DD1 is allergic to eggs and really feels better without them.
She thinksit is better to rotate foods, not always wheat not always the same veg.

Wheat which is eaten 3 times day in the UK is one of the most common allergies, so its good idea to eat rye cripsbread or Spelt or eat rice biscuits at least some of the time. If the cure is too radical the body will find other foodstuffs to become allergic to.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Oct-15 10:30:11

I don't know everything and I realise that. That's why I said "I think....".

Glad you are feeling well.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Oct-15 10:33:03

Yes. We do eat an awful lot of wheat. I thinking sometimes finding alternatives is good.

Ana Mon 05-Oct-15 10:35:10

It isn't actually nonsense, mariann. Just because cats love milk and cream doesn't mean they're good for them!