Gransnet forums

Chat

The delicious, indulgence of it!

(23 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 06-Oct-15 22:17:59

Rolling over and going back to sleep, or at least dozing/snoozing!

Day off tomorrow, and already I'm looking forward to that feeling of waking up and realising that I don't have to get up at a specific time grin

No doubt I will do my usual thing of waking about 10 minutes before the alarm would usually go off, but I can stretch out my toes, feel for a cool spot on the sheets, (after having to move my feet to avoid disturbing two warm, solid mounds of cat at the foot of the bed), and nod off again!

If I'm lucky, Oliver Sprout will realise that it's not appropriate to stomp up the bed and greet me with a gentle head butt accompanied by a cold wet nose applied to my cheek or ear! He might even refrain from his extra "wake up" technique of batting items off the bedside chest of drawers, one at a time in the mistaken hope that it will speed delivery of his breakfast!

Yes, I probably will still be up at a reasonable time, but even though I'm not yet in bed, the anticipation of that lie-in is bliss!

It's the little things! smile

Ana Tue 06-Oct-15 22:21:37

I used to feel like that on a Friday when I worked Monday to Thursday. Now I'm retired and can do it every morning it isn't the same somehow...

Anne58 Tue 06-Oct-15 22:30:12

Ana you are absolutely right, in my (ahem) "resting" periods, i.e. between employments, it meant nothing, but now Wednesdays & Fridays I love that feeling!

(Although Fridays not quite so much, as that is a busy day on the domestic front so I do tend to actually set the alarm, albeit for an hour later than a working day blush )

Ana Tue 06-Oct-15 22:32:17

Enjoy, phoenix - you're right, it is the little things! smile

Anne58 Tue 06-Oct-15 22:44:32

Yes, take pleasure where you can, especially if it's free, doesn't hurt others and doesn't frighten the horses, as my Granny never said! grin

Judthepud2 Tue 06-Oct-15 23:02:29

Oh yes. I absolutely agree Phoenix. One of the joys of being retired, provided there are no DGCs to be sorted. I just love being able to get enough sleep for my needs after so many years of exhaustion!

merlotgran Tue 06-Oct-15 23:10:55

Even though I'm retired I still love that moment. I always wake at least half an hour before DH so I lie there in blissfull silence dozing or thinking about nothing really. I daren't move because the dogs will hear me and think it's time to go out so I do a mind over matter thing with my bladder knowing that as soon as DH stirs I can leap out first and beat him to the loo!!

It doesn't work if DH is the first to wake up. He's so noisy he can't even swallow quietly hmm

numberplease Tue 06-Oct-15 23:55:29

Your wake up regime with Oliver Sprout mirrors mine with Mia!

rosesarered Wed 07-Oct-15 09:43:41

All you Gnetters with cats should look at Simons cat on youtube, I also have the book of the cartoons, hilarious.The youtube ones are animated cartoons, there is an oh so funny cat on the bed one ( it wants breakfast.)grin

Anne58 Wed 07-Oct-15 14:52:43

Simons Cat is lovely!

Very simply drawn, but really captures the essence of cats, and I don't mean in a "perfume" sense! The one where the cat wants to be let in is another favourite, although they are all good.

number they are persistent little bu**ers aren't they? The dear departed Maurice used to gently pat my face. Digby doesn't do anything, he's not that fussed about his breakfast (tinned food, he only really likes to lick the jelly confused ) but has been known to get all of a doo dah if the level in his biscuit bowl falls below what he considers to be an acceptable level grin

By the way, just for the record I got up at 8.20!

janerowena Wed 07-Oct-15 15:34:28

Sundays. It's bliss on Sundays, because I don't have to race downstairs for the postman trying to look as if I've been up for hours. As I am a dedicated online shopper, I do have to answer the door very early in the morning sometimes, and hadn't factored that into my initial blissful thoughts of lie-ins two years ago when DS left school.

Nelliemoser Wed 07-Oct-15 15:45:26

I am a fan of Simons cat. The way he has animated those drawings to look like real cat behaviour is amazing.

Indinana Wed 07-Oct-15 16:06:06

Oh I used to love the days off when I was still working. The sheer bliss of not setting the alarm, of making a second cup of tea before I got dressed. Of not having to put the slap on. Of not having to do anything at all, or spending the day doing all the things I love to do. Now that all my days are like that I do miss those rare days off wink

Anne58 Wed 07-Oct-15 16:07:50

And the sound is just right too, isn't it Nellie?

janerowena our post doesn't usually arrive until after 9.30!

janerowena Wed 07-Oct-15 16:17:00

I never know when ours is going to turn up, it depends on how many 'extra special first first class deliveries' they have. Any time between 7.30am and 1.30pm, but just after 8am is the norm and I am often still getting dressed then!

Charleygirl Wed 07-Oct-15 16:37:17

My cat is a minx. there are two cat beds specifically for her but no, she has taken over a spare bedroom and naturally uses the bed. She does start off on my bed the previous night because she homes on to the hot water bottle and does not move for ages. I put her off staying I think because I breathe. She frequently comes crying to me around 7am wanting to go out. She has a litter tray but goes out for 12 hours and then returns home to use her litter tray.

She knows that scratching the bed or the glass siding wardrobe door will get an instant reaction from me but not always the one that she wants. I frequently tell her that I would like to lie in bed marginally longer than 7am but that falls on deaf ears. Recently I have let her out, made myself a cup of coffee and returned to bed to read my Kindle. Bliss!

Anne58 Wed 07-Oct-15 16:38:26

I have posted on here before about an embarrassing incident when I was naked and hiding behind the door as I opened it to let a cat in, only to find a hand appearing through the gap proffering a bundle of post! blush

It was a few years ago, on a Saturday, and the delivery was earlier than it is now.

(Well, that's my excuse)

janerowena Wed 07-Oct-15 16:41:36

grin

I had a lovely new facepack on once. I was up and dressed but had forgotten the facepack until I opened the door to the postman - I was just as surprised by the look on his face, as he was when he saw that my face was bright green! grin

They must see some real sights.

Charleygirl Wed 07-Oct-15 17:08:53

As do window cleaners janer! especially if one is in rented accommodation and one does not know when the landlady has booked a window cleaner. I was not long married, we both had a day off during the week- I will leave the rest to your imagination!!!

Nelliemoser Wed 07-Oct-15 17:32:08

Phoenix Yes the miaows and growling.

numberplease Wed 07-Oct-15 17:40:16

What I hate about the opportunity for a lie in is if I sleep right through, I`d much rather wake up and have the chance to turn over and go back to sleep. (If a certain feline allows it of course!)

Anne58 Wed 07-Oct-15 17:44:08

You are right number! A good part of the pleasure is actually waking up, or at least sort of coming to, and the realisation that you CAN roll over and go back to sleep!

I completely understand, I think I would feel cheated if I slept right through without that!

janerowena Wed 07-Oct-15 22:00:28

Yes, I do understand that feeling, I really do appreciate knowing I can go back to sleep for a little longer.

charleygirl grin ! That clean should have been free!