Gransnet forums

Chat

being a bit -nosey- interested GN past

(147 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Fri 09-Oct-15 09:10:27

As I'm fairly new the lovely world of GN. I sometimes wonder about things before I joined. Eg what happened to granddads shed? Has it been demolished or did the GDs just want to spend time with grans' rather than be on their own?
I did ask this on the shed thread but think that it was too dusty in there for anybody to notice.
Also if I can ask another question on same post, every now and then there seems to be murmurs that things may have been a bit different when GN first started out. I do understand that things evolve as time passes. But was just wondering...

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 09:19:18

I think on the whole, internet chatting is more a woman's thing. Like gossiping chatting over the garden fence.

We've never had that many grandads. They are usually too busy playing with their little aeroplanes, toy trains, reading motor racing mags in their real life sheds, etc etc

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 09:19:54

Even pompa seems to have gone back to his aeroplanes.

Indinana Fri 09-Oct-15 09:23:36

I've been wondering about pompa too, haven't heard from him for ages.

thatbags Fri 09-Oct-15 09:27:06

pompa 'goes to ground' quite often. It's his way. I think he is kept busy with grandkid duties and his gardening.

Ana Fri 09-Oct-15 09:29:52

We have grumppa, feetlebaum and crun (apologies if I've missed any current granddads) but they tend to post on general threads rather than congregate in the Shed.

Anya Fri 09-Oct-15 09:32:26

The granddads obviously have better things to do, places to go. The site is people by those who pop in now and again and those who have nothing better to do than sit with a laptop, computer, tablet, mobile phone all day and pick arguments with those who post pictures of their cats.

There have been dominance issues in the past my cat is better than your cat but now the subject matter has changed and we have become more political my politician is nicer than yours (oh no he isn't, oh yes he is) so that's my take on it.

So I don't become associated with the sad old farts who have nothing better to do than post links to obscure political issues pictures of their cats all day I try to limit my time on GN to certain times.

PS all those cat lovers please don't be offended I like looking at your picture
PPS I don't really care if I have offended the political heavies grin

kittylester Fri 09-Oct-15 09:43:09

Anya grin

I think the main difference from the 'old' days (or as phoenix says 'when Gn was in black and white) is that there are more posters. In the old days we were still finding our feet and being terribly polite (mostly) to each other!

Lona Fri 09-Oct-15 09:53:18

Anya grin They keep me amused and on my best behaviour!

Elegran Fri 09-Oct-15 10:06:56

Grumpas just resurfaced briefly on a political thread but had his nose bitten for flippancy.

mcem Fri 09-Oct-15 11:04:10

GN had far more humour and lively interaction 'in the old days'.
Serious (and interesting) threads now degenerate quickly and posters show little tolerance of differing views.
There are very few light-hearted threads which are intelligent at the same time.
Certain persistent posters are so egocentric that threads often focus on one poster rather than the subject under discussion.
Some posts are so mindlessly ignorant or blatantly jingoistic that they are a real turn-off.
The interesting weekly digest is now daily and trivial.
I'm one of the original posters (and I believe there are lots of us) who have become disillusioned and now visit only rarely.

annsixty Fri 09-Oct-15 11:25:41

I'm pleased I am not the only one who thinks there are some very big egos on GN.

wotanuisanceABC123 Fri 09-Oct-15 11:26:33

Well, I love Gransnet and find it more informative and fun than any magazine! Also, it's a lifeline for lonely people.

annsixty Fri 09-Oct-15 11:28:50

I have never said I don't like GN it is a lifeline to me some days and I am a regular poster.

Elegran Fri 09-Oct-15 11:29:30

I reckon things gradually become worse until an enormous explosion occurs, after which the biggest offenders become more restrained for a while. At the moment there are more dissenting voices being raised to the dominators on the political forums than there have been recently. It seems quite amicable, relatively speaking, but not one-sided.

(Memo to self - must get a post deleted more often)

mcem Fri 09-Oct-15 11:36:14

annsixty I take your point but I think the genuinely supportive threads which are clearly valuable to many, are now few and far between.
Perhaps the stroppy posts just outnumber the worthwhile ones but I'm glad that so many grans still benefit from the kindness of most? some? contributors.

Galen Fri 09-Oct-15 12:21:34

I think it has become much more political than it was when I joined in I think November 2011.
I miss the humour we used to have and the parties
Who remembers Glastonbury on Halloween and the cat/dog Donald's burnt bottom? To say nothing of the firemen and was it Phoenix. I was laughing so much I was crying as the evening unfolded.
There was also the suffragette March and someone handcuffing themselves to the railing and having a copper with cold hands trying to retrieve the key from her bra.
Cue
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end etc

kittylester Fri 09-Oct-15 12:35:36

I didn't come to that party Galen but it is nearly Hallowe'en again - hint, hint!

harrigran Fri 09-Oct-15 12:36:17

TBH the long political discussions with links are a big turn off. I have been here since May 2011 and we used to have some lovely light hearted discussions and good banter, now it is likely to descend into mud slinging.

loopylou Fri 09-Oct-15 12:43:05

papaoscar is also missing...
I think a lot of longstanding GNs have gone when I think back to when I joined a couple of years ago.

Certainly over the past two years I think the tone has changed and not necessarily for the good unfortunately, I daren't venture on the political ones or even those that start apolitical

grumppa Fri 09-Oct-15 13:06:01

My nose is fine, thanks, Elegran.

I think the increased political content is inevitable, given the recent General and Labour Party election results and the number of Gransnetters who have strongly held political views on the left (where they believe all right-thinking people should be - funny, that); they have been cast down by the first outcome and raised up by the second.

But there are still plenty of non-political threads to relax on, far preferable to retiring to a shed.

annsixty Fri 09-Oct-15 13:14:30

I think a lot of us miss the late and much lamented Pete his humour was wicked and so witty sad

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 13:17:30

Ok mcem. After that dreadul post just name some names and have done with it! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Oct-15 13:19:01

"There are very few light-hearted threads which are intelligent at the same time." (Quoting mcem)

Effing well start some then! Don't wait for them to come to you. hmm

Elegran Fri 09-Oct-15 14:07:51

I remember starting a Google Map where you could put a flag for where a GN member lived. It was rather labour intensive, as hardly anyone wanted to do their own flag-planting, and sent all the locations to me. That was fun for a while. If I started it up again, would there be anyone joining in? You don't have to add your exact position, somewhere vaguely near would do.

(Thinks - what am I getting myself into here?)