Gransnet forums

Chat

As we are talking about behaviour on gn,

(138 Posts)
kittylester Sat 06-Feb-16 08:03:05

can I make a plea that people read the thread before posting.

In the last couple of days I have seen a few threads where people have either repeated previous posts with no acknowledgement or asked questions that have been asked and answered previously. I realise that in fast moving threads it can happen but im not talking about those.

Obviously, this is a greater sin when it is my posts that have been ignored! grin

whitewave Sat 06-Feb-16 08:11:58

I am definately guilty of that as I am too impatient to read through what seems often trillions of post and I tend to simply put down my thoughts.

whitewave Sat 06-Feb-16 08:12:47

But on the other hand they are generally ignored so I guess that's OK.

grannylyn65 Sat 06-Feb-16 08:15:28

Sometimes the title is not indicative of post content!

J52 Sat 06-Feb-16 08:16:52

Good morning Kitty. I am reading posts at the moment! not necessarily posting myself. I didn't want to ignore you. smile

flowers for you.

x

kittylester Sat 06-Feb-16 08:17:09

I'm not really talking about really long posts ww but more general ones!

kittylester Sat 06-Feb-16 08:19:47

Thanks J52. I maybe haven't put my op very well. ignore me, I'm in a funny mood! grin

annsixty Sat 06-Feb-16 08:45:03

I do agree kitty. Several times I have made a point in a post and then it is repeated further down thread as an entirely new thought.
I hasten to say it has never been important or "intelligent" just my own opinion. I just find it slightly annoying but then in RL I am often overlooked!?

Anya Sat 06-Feb-16 08:52:22

Sometimes trying to catch up on a long thread it is possible to miss a whole page out, inadvertently, and that can cause confusion.

Alea Sat 06-Feb-16 08:53:54

What is really funny/frustrating/infuriating, kittyand annsixty is when somebody else REPEATS what you have said and everybody goes "oh brilliant point, well done, well put, excellent post" etc hmm and you want to say "Excuse me, I just said that!" grin

Alea Sat 06-Feb-16 08:54:49

Oh, did you just say that? annsixty gringrin

Anya Sat 06-Feb-16 08:55:55

Isn't that annoying Ann - sometimes I feel like shouting 'I've already made that point at the beginning' hmm and it's even more frustrating when posters then pick up on the second person's point (which was really yours) and say 'good post' or similar.

I think I just need to grow a pair man up and not let it get to me grin

annsixty Sat 06-Feb-16 08:56:57

Alea I thought that but modesty forbad me to say it ?

Anya Sat 06-Feb-16 08:57:25

I don't believe it!!! Alea has just made the sane point!

Crossed posts grin

Teetime Sat 06-Feb-16 09:08:00

I agree kittylester but I'm probably guilty as charged at times. I agree with the point about saying something and then someone else says the same thing and is acknowledged when you haven't been. Its a bit like that in this house. I say something DH repeats it later and claims it was his idea and I never said it! grin

Greyduster Sat 06-Feb-16 09:09:38

I'm with Alea - that's happened to me on more than a few occasions, but then, I may have done it to others, in which case, apologies. If you come to a thread late and haven't got time to read it from the start, it's going to happen i suppose.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 09:29:09

I think, when a question has been asked where the OP is asking for advice, then it's probably best to put your own slant on the problem without reading previous posters' opinions. I don't think it's necessary to read the whole thread.

I do agree with the thing Alea has highlighted. People are probably inclined to state their approval of, perhaps, their 'friends' posts. Then it can make you feel a bit miffed. But we just have to 'suck it up'.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 09:29:52

Alright! Alea and others. grin

Marmark1 Sat 06-Feb-16 09:31:25

Christ,any more rules and regulations,I'm half afraid to speak now.

Jane10 Sat 06-Feb-16 09:33:26

Sometimes, on looking at a thread title, it looks interesting but if there's already pages of responses I don't bother. By that time most likely lots of points have been put forward and individual arguments set up (as if! grin). On the other hand I sometimes feel sorry for posters who haven't had much of a response so I'll say something so they don't feel ignored or passed over. Of course its usually because that thread was only started 10 seconds before!

Pittcity Sat 06-Feb-16 09:35:25

Sorry kitty, but I read the title as "Behaviour on gin"!

Seriously, some leaway must be given for two people who may be typing the same thing at the same time as happened above. We can't edit our posts so I expect we will just have to lump it.

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 09:52:43

Happens to me all the time. The up side is that on the (rare) occasion that someone does respond to my post I feel really chuffed. Am I sad? I ask that because no one will answer wink

Even worse, so many times I have posted and the thread stops there. Em...am I so impressive that no one can top it? Thought not.

There is one person on GN who makes a point of always responding to posts. Bless her, it must take a lot of time but very affirming.

shysal Sat 06-Feb-16 10:11:43

No you are not sad, Jud. Allow me to kill the thread instead of you!grin

POGS Sat 06-Feb-16 11:49:58

Yes it's frustrating when you have posted and sometimes within quite a' short period of time ' somebody practically says word for word your thought but I might mention I posted the same thought before and provide a date and time. I don"'t feel bad about doing that because I think it shows more than one person has a similar view and backs up your post . I must admit to childishly being a bit peeved when they get the support for their post though blush blush

As mentioned recently on another thread there are too many threads started on the same subject too, it would be nice if the first OP had the courtesy of getting responses when posts are started closely together time line wise but it happens and I don't think too much about it other than valid posts are missing from whichever thread you read or post on, that's a shame as the flow or number of responses can alter the flow of thought and information. .

There I have just mentioned a thread about a thread so I have done exactly what I was moaning about grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 11:54:19

Yes. I think, once posters realise there is already a thread going about a certain thing, then they should abandon the second one and post on the first. Obvious way to stop multi-threads about he same thing.