Gransnet forums

Chat

In the 9th month of retirement ...

(80 Posts)
wildrose Mon 08-Feb-16 18:25:50

Just wanted to get some perspective on this though I may already have made sense of my position. I had to give up my job due to ill health (a chronic condition and my employers had been fantastic - leaving was my choice) The first 12 weeks were actually sick leave which covered my notice period but, since then, I've had good and bad days health wise and am well into this new way of life. I started out "reassuring" those around me who couldn't conceive of me "doing nothing" all day that I would probably look for voluntary work in the New Year or perhaps even look for a job involving just a couple of mornings a week. However, I'm feeling (or at least THINK I'm feeling!) that I don't want that at all. My husband is at home as he took early retirement while having cancer treatment which is still ongoing. We manage financially on my small savings and his pension though will need to tighten our belts further for 3 or so years from 2017 as I have had my state pension delayed. Neither of us claim any benefits and manage well enough. The thing is that we have settled into a way of life that people "warned" us about - our days mostly consist of waking naturally, catching up with news and papers, chatting with each other over coffees, an hour or so doing housework, reading, regular walks (usually to the nearby park, town or shops) but we also have time apart spent with friends or doing other things we each enjoy individually. We have lovely grown up children and we see them every couple of weeks though we catch up every day on the phone. Our new grandchild will be born in a few months time and we are both looking forward to that. So ... we are feeling content, our stress levels are far lower these days and our lives have taken on a distinct laid back, go with the flow feeling. We are addressing diet and exercise regimes and generally taking a step back and we don't miss work at all! It feels right but I can't shake off a vague feeling of guilt! We still have people asking what our plans are and wanting to know how on earth we fill our time. I guess I'm interested to hear from others for whom retirement has turned out this way (I know it's still early days) despite having been highly motivated in our careers. I think it has come as something of a shock ..... Any thoughts? Many thanks for reading this. I feel better having put it all out there!

Rose

wildrose Mon 08-Feb-16 18:27:30

Oooh sorry for the lack of paragraphing. I really did get carried away sad

Jane10 Mon 08-Feb-16 18:33:04

Hi Rose, its your life and you're living it your way. Sounds pretty good actually. Can you bear to sit back and just go with the flow? You don't have to do what retired people are supposed to do. The 'pensioner police' won't come after you!

tanith Mon 08-Feb-16 18:36:12

wildrose just go with the flow, its sounds like you are so enjoying your retirement and as you say its early days, if your feelings change then you can rethink. A new grandchild, how lovely just relax and enjoy your new circumstances without guilt.
We've all earned our retirement in one way or another I certainly did. I had to take early ill-health retirement 10yrs ago it came as a massive shock and I was terrified for the first few months till I realised the World hadn't stopped and I could manage perfectly well on reduced income (praise be for my NHS pension). Like you I was surprised I even had time for work after a few months..
My husband retired last year and after a serious health hiccup we have now settled into a happy new life. Sometimes I get bored but I soon find something to interest and occupy me We can up and go for a short holiday or visit with family any time we wish which is great.

Just relax and enjoy

NanaandGrampy Mon 08-Feb-16 18:46:57

Wildrose you're living our life !!

Isn't it wonderful? My husband retired a year ago and hasn't put a watch on since. I tool very early retirement unexpectedly and I don't get my pension for another 7 years due to the goal post changes !

We live life very slowly and I don't feel a scrap of guilt.

I think we earned it.

And I'm sure you did too. You'll have time to spend with your new grandchild , something I missed a lot with our first 2 as I was working which makes me sad. When people ask what your plan is , tell them you have no plan ( although you sound pretty together to me ) tell them you're going to live.

I'm excited for you - the possibilities are endless smile

Luckygirl Mon 08-Feb-16 18:49:25

Go with the flow indeed! When you have retired you reset your priorities. The mindset that goes with working life is totally different from that of retirement and is inappropriate to the situation.

Do not waste a moment of your precious retirement worrying about what others think about your choices. Those days are over - you now have to answer to no-one else but yourselves. smile

We wake up when we feel like it, enjoy a breakfast in bed whilst gazing at our lovely view and then we spend our days doing the things we enjoy - in my case being a school governor, running a choir, singing, spending time with my lovely GC, writing poetry, reading, going for walks - it's great, and I feel not one whit worried about what anyone else might think about my choices. The world is your oyster, but you can make that world as large or as small as YOU wish. Enjoy!

wildrose Mon 08-Feb-16 18:50:54

Jane, thank you so much - your reply made me smile :-) I shall stop listening for those sirens! Yes I think I know for sure that this is right for me. I'm never stuck for something to do and still keep my finger on the pulse of everything so I suppose I don't fit the (often unfair IMO) stereotypical vision of a retired late 50s lady.

Tanith, thank you too - I SO get what you're saying. We found ourselves in a similar position and your post gave me exactly the perspective I was looking for! To hear that you seem so content after all that time is fantastic and it's how I'd like to be posting in 10 years time smile
Thank you both for such speedy feedback!

Rose

Charleygirl Mon 08-Feb-16 18:50:58

I agree with what Jane10 and tanith have said. I retired at 60 (12 years ago) and was offered a job 3 days a week which was fine for 3 years but was also very stressful and similar to my previous job. Also the Inland Revenue were a pain so I gave that up and took on a much more relaxed well paid job working for 3 of my ex bosses. The work was casual which suited me fine. After I broke my ankle in 2009 I could not carry on so I am like you, I do what I fancy when I fancy and my life is stress free. I also do not give a stuff what other people think about my life, it suits me. Enjoy!

wildrose Mon 08-Feb-16 19:01:02

Oh my goodness - NanaandGrampy and Luckygirl, this is fantastic to hear!!!! How I wish I'd posted weeks ago. I've been so unsettled since the turn of the year with everything whizzing round my head but thank goodness I didn't jump into anything for the wrong reasons. Just reading your posts make me feel relaxed about it all smile We are lucky to have the choice and, yes I'm sure we've all worked hard to get where we are. Our expected grandchild is already bringing much excitement and anticipation of lovely times! I wish you all the very best in your lovely laid back lives. I can't tell you how you've made me feel. Others may come along with opposite views and I'd be happy to read those too but I really DO know where I'm at now smile

Rose

wildrose Mon 08-Feb-16 19:03:03

And Charleygirl! Another happy bunny! That you so much for your take on this too.

Rose

Penstemmon Mon 08-Feb-16 19:19:40

wildrose just read your post and smiled! I retired five years ago aged 60 as I was able to take up a voluntary redundancy package that was advantageous especially as we were planning to move nearer to DDs anyway. For the first year I was busy organising the move etc, and enjoying our new home and garden and helping DDs with childcare, I got involved in local groups to get involved in my new community. DH still was working full time. I then got asked to do some consultancy work and then it grew and grew until I was working 3 days and doing childcare for 2! I am now winding down again... last DGC will start school in September, DH is reducing his work commitments. I am looking forward to a more relaxed time when I can do just what you described! Enjoy!

Treebee Mon 08-Feb-16 19:42:31

I can so identify with you wildrose. I retired last August, DH had retired 4 years ago. He's had cancer and is now clear but has regular testing which causes us both anxiety and curtails our activities somewhat.
I had thought to do volunteer work, but having worked in public service all my working life, I can't face dealing with the public again!
Having said that I feel some guilt that I'm not busy caring for someone. Both DDs live nearby and I'm called on sometimes, but not a lot.
I have interests like singing in a choir, walking, reading,Pilates and helping with my local Quaker meeting house library.
I'm so enjoying not working, but would like to shake off that niggling guilt.

Charleygirl Mon 08-Feb-16 20:22:26

wildrose it has not happened this winter yet because it has been so mild but it is so good to look outside, see my neighbours scraping their cars and I can make myself a cup of coffee and go back to bed if I wish because I no longer have to work.

You do not have to be rushing to the supermarket after you have finished work and you can have your hair done during the week, not rushing in to the salon on a Saturday.

I do have the occasional sense of guilt having a lie in during the week but my lie in is rarely beyond 8am because my cat has better ideas. The guilt is fleeting!

Luckygirl Mon 08-Feb-16 20:48:01

A lie-in till 8 am! - I sometimes don't wake up till about 9 am! And I do not feel the slightest bit guilty!

rosesarered Mon 08-Feb-16 21:23:39

Hi wildrose our life is similar to yours, and we enjoy it, no guilt at all, it's wonderful.I am in my mid sixties DH nearly 70 , and have been retired for a few years now.We do a certain amount of grandparent duties, but most of the time is our own. Enjoy your new life.smile

rosesarered Mon 08-Feb-16 21:25:53

Don't feel a compulsion to rush around filling your time for fear of emptiness,
Only join clubs if you really fancy what's on offer.

merlotgran Mon 08-Feb-16 21:27:00

Our dogs wake us up at 7.30am and I pretend I'm in a deep sleep so that DH will let them out and bring me back a cup of tea. We've always been early risers but from then on everything is laid back and uplanned.

We can't wait for the weather to improve so we can get stuck into the garden again. DH loves fishing and I enjoy upcycling old junk second hand furniture. We are NEVER bored.

Don't feel guilty about being contented. It's what retirement is for. We have friends who throw themselves into all sorts of activities/hobbies/travel. Fine if that's what grabs you but it wouldn't do for us.

Enjoy your life. smile

Crafting Mon 08-Feb-16 21:51:08

wildrose relax and enjoy what makes you happy. No guilt needed. I enjoy a lazy breakfast with my DH, reading the paper, doing a puzzle and sipping my coffee. For years I was up and out before he got up in the morning. Our breakfasts together are one of the nicest parts of our day. Sometimes we spend all day reading if that's what we choose to do. It's our life and we love just spending time together smile

Eloethan Tue 09-Feb-16 01:49:18

Take no notice of anyone who makes suggestions as to what you should be doing in retirement. It's yours and your husband's life and I think it's perfectly lovely that you are enjoying each other's company and having the time to relax, go for walks, etc., together.

There's absolutely no reason why you should feel guilty about enjoying your new found leisure after many years of working hard and rushing about.

Cher53 Tue 09-Feb-16 10:14:52

I am not retiral age but when my husband decided to retire after 33 years, we seriously looked at our finances and husband asked me if I wanted to stop work too. I must admit I don't miss my work at all, though at times can miss the people I worked with (though I do keep in touch and meet up with former friends and colleagues from work).

I wanted to travel more and thought we would,but husband does voluntary work and we both care for our grandchild when daughter and her partner work. I honestly don't know where the time goes, but I love my wee grandchild, she keeps me sane. I firmly believe though that how folk spend their time during retirement is up to the individual. You work long and hard enough. So I have got to the stage I could not care less what folk think. Many people go back to work part-time and that is perhaps because they have to financially, or they just miss being around folk.

I, like a previous poster worked for years dealing with the general public, but my work also involved extremely early rises as did my husbands (he worked shifts inc, back and nights) so neither of us really misses getting up at 5.30am especially during the Winter months. Also my health is not great, just niggely things really but I do not think I could go back to the job I had before, quite frankly I have always had work in some form or other since 14 years of age.

If you like a quieter life, there is nothing wrong with that at all, why is it people now always think you have to be 'doing something'? What you do with your own retirement time is your business and what suits them may not suit you.

Nonnie Tue 09-Feb-16 10:56:31

It is your retirement not anyone else's and for the first time in your life you can choose what to do. We retired 7 years ago and moved so started our retirement with a new life of our own choosing. Alarm clock? Not unless we really have to get up. First thing in the morning DH makes coffee and we sit and chat while we drink two leisurely cups then, unless we have something else to do, we don't see much of each other until dinner.

We do things on impulse because it seems like a good idea at the time. We do things together or apart, depending how we feel. Sometimes he irritates me and sometimes I irritate him. Currently we are working together on a really big decorating job on the house and it is going well.

It is wonderful to have no schedule to stick to.

We have been told we may get bored or lonely but there are many things we can do should that ever happen.

My oldest friend has to have her diary full and works on committees etc. She is happy doing that and I am happy with my way. Each to her own.

Just sit back and enjoy and, if you feel like doing it differently at some point, go ahead. Make the most of the fact that you have a choice.

Also, you will find you manage on less money, going to work costs more than you thought.

loopylou Tue 09-Feb-16 12:03:13

I'm having slightly cold feet too, I retire in 4 weeks!
Can't wait and reading these posts confirms that it's fine to do as little as you like, which is totally alien to me ?

Charleygirl Tue 09-Feb-16 12:38:50

loopylou you will love it. It costs a lot of money to go to work, fare/petrol costs, smart clothes and shoes depending on your job, shop bought sandwiches if you could not be bothered or did not have the correct ingredients or whatever. I also used to buy at least one sometimes two newspapers each day. It all mounts up.

Jane10 Tue 09-Feb-16 13:47:50

Loopylou count down the days till freedom! Come on in retirements lovely!

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 09-Feb-16 13:54:59

I think Luckygirl summed it up when she said

When you have retired you reset your priorities. The mindset that goes with working life is totally different from that of retirement and is inappropriate to the situation.

It's hard to understand this until it happens to you. wink