Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you get motivated?

(36 Posts)
gangy5 Sat 30-Apr-16 13:30:48

Today I'm feeling lazy and am not keen to get up and do anything! Spent much time trawling through Gransnet and must say I'm pleased to see that perhaps the threads on the EU referendum and Tesco are coming to an end!! Fed up with the cold weather and don't feel like going out in the garden.
Do you have a recipe for inducing motivation?

Jalima Sat 30-Apr-16 13:41:26

let me know when you find out please!!

Ana Sat 30-Apr-16 13:48:34

I doubt that the EU referendum threads are coming to an end! grin

mollie Sat 30-Apr-16 13:58:14

Ah, but today feels like one of those days that are just made for being lazy so go with the flow and make the most of it. Tomorrow the sun may be out or you'll wake up with the urge to get something done and you'll just do it!

rosesarered Sat 30-Apr-16 14:33:51

Get your arse out of bed for a start? grin Then, have a large black coffee and some toast and marmalade.Then get showered and dressed.Then potter about in the garden.Then ring a friend for a chat.That should do it.

Jenty61 Sat 30-Apr-16 14:41:09

Having M.E. I find it very difficult to get motivated..? ... I do however make sure I do one positive thing each day no matter how difficult... some days getting out of bed is an acheivement...?

Jalima Sat 30-Apr-16 14:41:39

The sun was out this morning but I was doing jobs indoors.
Now there is a Big Black Cloud over the sky (and I don't mean the referendum) grin

Grannaby Sat 30-Apr-16 14:47:20

I had one of those days this week. Faffed around and wasn't achieving anything, couldn't be bothered to do any of the housework or anything else and was feeling low because of it. Then I decided, ok have a day off, so I gave myself permission to sit and read and not achieve anything. Ridiculously it made all the difference, I enjoyed reading my book without feeling guilty and have felt more motivated since then. Why do we keep beating ourselves up???

Indinana Sat 30-Apr-16 15:27:16

Oh I have lots of days when I'm totally unmotivated, just reading/knitting/surfing the internet etc. So what? That's what I worked 40+ years for - so I can do as I please now grin

Teetime Sat 30-Apr-16 15:45:34

Well I don't always feel motivated but I always feel driven to do something which in itself is a problem as I never give myself some time off- no no golf is not time off its hard work don't laugh- I'm in agony afterwards Arthur does not like it!! Anyway my point really is what is wrong with time off after a lifetime of family and work and everything else.smile

gangy5 Sat 30-Apr-16 18:40:53

Thank you all -- and I'll now not feel guilty for doing nothing for some of the time.

Cherrytree59 Sat 30-Apr-16 19:18:49

My motivation to get up Is DH is down stairs.
First he will come upstairs ask me if I'm ok.
Then he will return ask me if I'm sure and do I want anything to eat, even though he knows I will never eat in bed. Can't abide single crumb in my bed!
A few minutes later will come the "Do you want me get you some paracetamol?"
I reply with "no I'm fine thankyou"
"Well if your sure" scuttles back down stairs
A few minutes later DD on phone
"Are you ok mum. Dad says your not quite your self"
So up now stomping around kichen wiping up DH toast crumbs

rubylady Sun 01-May-16 06:18:11

When he comes up first time Cherry you need to be ready with the rope and tie him up and put him in the wardrobe! Then you can go back to bed and enjoy a lie in. grin

I'd have a lie in but I haven't even got to bed yet! Fell asleep on the settee last night, woke up at 3 am and my doggie refused to go to bed, preferring to sleep on the other settee, so I came back downstairs, had a midnight snack, watched tele and came on here.

How to get motivated? Well, I've just got a new car through Motorbility so I'm very motivated at present. I have lots of plans of people to see and places to go that I have been wanting to go but haven't got there. Plus now I can take my doggie out without having to worry about taxis being able to take her. Our first trip was to look at motorbikes for my son. Then we took my doggie to the park. Now I need to apply for a blue badge. This week I will go and pick my dad up from the funeral directors (his ashes) and go and visit his friends at the extra care facility where he lived, I've not seen them since the funeral so that should be nice.

Other than that, plant some seeds, get some new paint or wallpaper, go and buy cushions or bedding. Plan a nice meal with someone special or a holiday. Being disabled, sometimes it is enough just to get up and make food for the day but I do try to achieve something in a day although I do give myself permission to sit and stare from time to time. smile

Cherrytree59 Sun 01-May-16 09:23:02

Ruby grin
DH is a retired newbie.
Enjoy your new car and the freedom that goes with.

rubylady Sun 01-May-16 17:53:39

Cherry Aw, bless him. That means he wants your company which is a great compliment. smile

obieone Sun 01-May-16 17:59:09

I tend to find if I am not motivated one day, then I generally make up for it the next day. So I consider it swings and roundabouts.

Lindaloulabel Mon 02-May-16 09:36:44

Well said I agree

Gaggi3 Mon 02-May-16 09:43:39

Not madly active today as just had DD2,SIL, and 21month-old twins staying for a few days. Walk round NT property yesterday, then family lunch for 8 (other SIL working all weekend as he's a consultant at the local hospital (please note, Mr. Hunt). Finish up with baseball in garden with DH, DD1 and GS1 (aged 7). So if I don't do much today, who cares?

Victoria08 Mon 02-May-16 09:47:33

Phew! Gaggi3.

I felt tired just reading that. You seem to have an abundance of energy,

May I ask how old you are.

Tudorrose Mon 02-May-16 09:55:38

Still not come to terms with Parkinsons diagnosis in January. Very unmotivated & anxious about everything. Feel quite helpless. Severe sciatic pains down left leg and foot so can't walk very far. Depressing to know there is no cure only progressive disability. I have a wonderful husband, 2 caring, happily married children and 3 lovely grandchildren so I try to count my blessings but sometimes it is difficult

Lupatria Mon 02-May-16 10:18:19

my get up and go seems to have left home without me!

i'm completely unmotivated and don't seem to know where to start. it's not that i haven't got anything to be done cos there's loads to be done.

daughter and two grandaughters moved in with me last year [emergency situation] and we still haven't been able to sort things out. we've got "stuff" all over everywhere and they're all sleeping in one bedroom with all their clothes and the girls' toys - complete havoc.

we need to sort things up into the loft and then sort their bedroom out - and sort out some sort of bedsit in the conservatory for the eldest grandaughter. but motivation for both of us is fairly low right now.

my daughter's situation isn't helping her get motivated and because of this and the chaos in the house my motivation is also at rock bottom.

but "eventually" [my non live in partner's favourite word] things will get sorted and we'll be living free of chaos .............. but right now it seems such a long time away.

Juggernaut Mon 02-May-16 10:22:56

Visitors coming this afternoon, so that's my motivation, I don't want anyone knowing what a slob I can be at times!

libertylola Mon 02-May-16 10:23:56

Sometimes hard when you live on your own and it's a Bank Holiday with all 'doing their own thing' and bus services at a minimal sad

adaunas Mon 02-May-16 10:31:02

Wish I knew. I have 6 particular things to do, 1 for tomorrow, 3 for Wednesday 1for Thursday and 1 within the next fortnight. I just can't get motivated to start, worrying that they won't won't work, or I won't remember how to do them. This thread was a much needed lifeline, showing I'm not the only one.?

sallyswin Mon 02-May-16 10:47:08

Gardened in the sun yesterday and am paying the price today. Back a bit (?!) stiff and the dreariness outside has reduced me to a complete sumph! Intended to sew today - my main hobby - but so far have just sat like a pudding. Perhaps the strong coffee I am about to have will help, I hope so. I have a busy life and the chance of a sewing day is a treat.