Gransnet forums

Chat

Grandson's Wedding - what to wear

(15 Posts)
nurseymac Sun 01-May-16 09:30:53

After loosing five stone my arms really took it hard and I am looking for a dress with a sleeve past the elbow so 3/4 sleeve at least. Tummy coverage too - so not too tight. Does anyone have any suggestions please? My legs are ok from the calf down - so past the knee better. I don't want to wear a trouser suit. I also don't want to look like I am wearing a costume like many of those Mother of the Bride outfits do! I'm a size 12 now.

Izabella Sun 01-May-16 09:47:54

That's wonderful and congratulations on that weight loss. May I suggest an appointment with a personal dresser at a store. Many offer it as a free service. You do not have to buy anything but they will give you ideas you had not thought of. They will listen to what you want and bring stuff to you in your changing room. Saves you trawling round for hours. Good luck and enjoy the day!!

Granny23 Sun 01-May-16 10:48:45

Don't restrict yourself to dresses with sleeves - often in short supply. Also consider a sleeveless dress with a matching or contrasting sleeved bolero.

annodomini Sun 01-May-16 11:18:31

If you can splash out for a one-off occasion, perhaps you could do what my sister did: find some beautiful material and take it to a dressmaker for an outfit that is really 'you', then enjoy shopping for your accessories - bag, shoes and, if the occasion demands it, a hat.

Maggymay Sun 01-May-16 11:31:02

I had the same problem when DS2 got married 2 years ago ,I trawled high and low for a dress with sleeves to no avail.In the end I bought a lovely dress from Phase Eight , it was sleeveless ,but I teamed it up with a matching bolero also from Phase Eight .I was very pleased with the overall look and it came in handy a few weeks later when we went on a cruise.I certainly got good use out of it.

ninathenana Sun 01-May-16 12:33:05

Or maybe short sleeves and a matching pashmina but I would go for the bolero/jacket.

ninathenana Sun 01-May-16 12:33:48

What month is the wedding?

Teetime Sun 01-May-16 12:35:11

I have gone for a sleeveless Hobbs dress for my granddaughters wedding in July but I thought well I'll have a bit of a tan by then and I bought a nice pashmina to drape - I'm hoping its going to be hot.

Very well done on the weight loss I bet you look fabulous - don't worry about your arms but you have got time to do some exercises and get a tan (fake?) if it will make you feel better.

Witzend Sun 01-May-16 13:23:39

Had the same problem last year for dd's wedding - did NOT want typical mother of the bride stuff, nor anything too short or tight or sleeveless. We live near a major shopping centre but I could not find a single thing, despite staff trying to help - all the pretty dresses I'd have liked 20 years ago were too short/tight fitted/sleeveless. Why don't they make anything in really pretty fabrics in styles to suit those of us who don't want to brandish knees or upper arms? In the end I found a lovely linen dress online at Poetry.com.

Coolgran65 Sun 01-May-16 15:02:32

If you're not sure what style you would like I would do as previously suggested and go for a personal shopper. She will take your preferences into consideration and knows what is in stock. She will also know what will suit you that you might not have thought of. Pretty sure that Debenhams do it.

Go for it ... and enjoy.

nurseymac Mon 02-May-16 18:53:30

Ah thank you ladies. Really helpful. I've been looking through magazines and saw an ad in Good Housekeeping for Katya Wildman Bombshell dresses and they have 3/4 length sleeves!! Made in England too and a nice small brand, so nice to support too smile

I've looked up their website and it looks like the dresses have nice liberty prints and a sarong to cover the tummy. V excited to try one!

Thanks for everyone's support smile

GrandmaKT Mon 02-May-16 19:52:00

Oh, those dresses look lovely nurseymac - (http://www.bombshellhq.com/ for anyone who's nosey like me smile - just what you're looking for I should think. (Why do models have to strike such unnatural poses though? The blond one looks like she's dying to go to the loo and has backache!)

Granny23 Mon 02-May-16 21:24:58

www.bombshellhq.com

rubysong Mon 02-May-16 21:45:55

They look very nice but why do they want to make me log in with email addresses when I just want a little look? (They want to bombard me with emails.). If I have a browse in a shop I don't have to tell them who I am.

connieaston Fri 20-May-16 21:31:48

My DD adores Bombshell dresses and now she has me hooked. I got my first one in a boutique in Cambridge. Very flattering! Now I know my size I've ordered a couple more online. DD is secretly relieved I'm two sizes big than her (lol), she thinks Mother is going to raid her wardrobe?!