Gransnet forums

Chat

Housing dilemma

(98 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 20-May-16 20:32:52

Heart or head?

We fell in love with our home 25 years ago when we bought it - it is a unique cottage with fabulous uninterrupted views in the most peaceful village you can imagine. When you are sitting outside all you can hear are birds and cows munching the grass. But........it is on a hill and I can barely walk down our steep drive and garden (unhealed broken foot and unsuccessful hip replacement) and there are few places I can go for a walk as it is hilly all round, but very very beautiful of course. Our lane is very narrow and steep. OH has PD and the same problems apply to him; and will of course get worse over time.

We have found a spacious 4 bedroomed bungalow on the outskirts of a village about 20 minutes away (so we would not lose contact with our friends/activities etc.) - it is on a flatter road, has a bus service (not frequent, but better than none!), we could walk to a wood nearby. It has a large decking area extending round the whole of one side with far-reaching, but not nearly as beautiful, views. To us country bumpkins it feels quite "urban" as we are so used to being in the middle of nowhere - it has houses on either side and opposite - though you cannot really see them much because of the trees etc.

The thing that feels the most difficult about the decision is that when you sit outside this bungalow you can hear the drone of traffic from the main road about half a mile away. I am sure all the town dwellers on here will think I am bonkers, but I really do not know whether I could get used to that, because the peace means so much to me.

But.......it would make a lot of sense to be living in a bungalow.

Heart or head? - what do you think?

Jane10 Fri 20-May-16 20:43:34

Head! Sorry, don't mean to be harsh but if you already struggle to get around and DH has PD, with all due respect things aren't going to get easier. Make a smart decision now rather than wait for some sort of (sorry) crisis.

rosesarered Fri 20-May-16 20:48:58

What Jane says! Go for it before it's snapped up.smile

aggie Fri 20-May-16 20:52:55

I never notice the traffic noise now , our house still has single glazing , you do tune it out after a bit , we are having to move because OH has PD and sleeps downstairs but I am upstairs and often have to come down to see to him in the night , I will probably think it is too quiet !!

f77ms Fri 20-May-16 20:55:43

Head, things will only get more difficult for both of you . You will get used to the minimal traffic noise and eventually will not hear it . The bungalow sounds ideal , with a bus service and a place to walk which would be manageable . I live in a very quiet area but when I stay with friends or family I stop hearing the traffic noise after a few days . It is always hard to leave a loved home but sometimes it just becomes a millstone when you struggle with stairs ect .

Linsco56 Fri 20-May-16 21:00:50

I agree with all of the above Luckygirl go for it! Make life a little easier and as time progresses you will get used to the sound of traffic and you will probably find it beneficial to have near neighbours. smile

Lillie Fri 20-May-16 21:07:32

As long as you don't have to shout above the noise of the traffic when sitting outside, I would say go for the bungalow.

Witzend Fri 20-May-16 21:08:44

Re traffic noise, when we first looked at dd and sil's now new house, I was very aware of the busy ring road not too far away, just a faint hum, and worried that it would bother them (and me). However I never notice it now, and never have since they moved in not long afterwards. If someone ever mentions it I can sometimes hear a faint hum (depending on wind and weather) but I never notice it otherwise, and when I'm there at least one day a week, we are often out in the garden.

Re other matters, I can't help thinking that if you've found a house you like well enough, even if it's not perfect, then it'd be best to grab it before someone else does - is it likely that anything equally suitable would available in future, when the need might be more urgent?

We have friends who live down a very steep, narrow lane in Devon, a long walk from the nearest shop, let alone doctors etc. One of them is already unable to drive, and I dread anything happening to the other - who tends to be accident prone - they would be well and truly stuck.

wot Fri 20-May-16 21:12:52

Head. Then you can get a mobility scooter to drive round the bungalow and around the neighbourhood! It is an increasing problem living in an isolated area as I well know, and if you have the chance to move, take it! You could use the extra rooms as a study or craft room. It sounds ideal.

Luckygirl Fri 20-May-16 21:14:05

Thank you for your ideas and thoughts. I am grateful for that.

I am the only driver already - we have an automatic car, so the duff foot does not matter - I made sure I broke the left one!

If we did go for the bungalow it is likely that a family member would buy it for us to stop us being in a chain - we would then rent from them until we could sell ours.

GandTea Fri 20-May-16 21:16:40

Luckgirl, I can understand your concerns re traffic noise, we live in a qiet village, there is some traffic noise during rush hours, but very little when we stay with our daughter, who is a couple of miles from the M1, we find the constant drone annoying. Could we get used to it, not sure.

MiniMouse Fri 20-May-16 21:18:14

Head! The last thing that you want to happen is to find yourselves having to move in a rush or panic in the future if/when your health isn't so good.

merlotgran Fri 20-May-16 21:26:49

I understand about the traffic noise as our nearest road is just over half a mile away but apart from rush hour you can hardly hear it.

Put a positive spin on it. A little road noise means better transport facilities and being able to walk for pleasure will lift your spirits.

Single storey living is bliss when your health starts to let you down.

Go for it!!

kittylester Fri 20-May-16 21:29:48

Definitely head, lucky!

What do your daughter's think?

We love our house to pieces but know that in similar circumstances we would have to move, which we find seriously depressing. Be grateful for the time you've lived there and remember the happy times. Move and make more happy memories. Sounds as though you will have lots of room for visiting dgc.

GandTea Fri 20-May-16 21:49:58

G&T, I will have to post again tomorrow when I am sober, as my last post made no sense at all. Good night all

willsmadnan Fri 20-May-16 21:50:50

Like ever one else I have to say head over heart.I've just reluctantly put our house up for sale, after my dear partner died earlier this year. 20 years of living abroad have been heaven, but there comes a time when one has to take a reality check. And mine is being back 'home', with my family, probably in a retirement bungalow which I would have regarded as hell on earth a few years ago ... and at times I still do! Some very dear Canadian friends of mine left their piece of paradise (a very small but beautiful island in Vancouver Bay) to live on the mainland when they were in their late seventies... they ended their days in tiny retirement apartment run by the equivalent of our British Legion, but never once did they harp on about their old life. They accepted that they had to adapt to advancing years, needing to be closer to their adult children, and more importantly quick access to medical assistance. I think one has to look on something like this as yet another chapter in the book of one's life. And who knows what new adventure lies ahead. I might even re-join the WIwink

wot Fri 20-May-16 21:53:07

Gandt, ??? made me laugh!!

GandTea Fri 20-May-16 21:53:35

Then again, perhaps I will try again .

Luckgirl, I can understand your concerns re traffic noise, we live in a quiet village, there is some traffic noise during rush hour, but very little at any other time.

When we stay with our daughter, who is a couple of miles from the M1, we find the constant drone annoying. Could we get used to it, not sure.

GandTea Fri 20-May-16 21:56:07

Wot, glad I amused you, mad e my day worthwhile grin

Note to myself -- must learn how to put a cork in.

Charleygirl Fri 20-May-16 21:58:15

You have not mentioned shops- is there one near by where one could buy a loaf of bread and pint of milk to tide you over until the on line delivery comes? Where is the nearest GP and hospital? One must consider those also.

I am with everybody else, head over heart.

willsmadnan Fri 20-May-16 22:04:59

Nah, GandTea, keep the cork out. I'm indulging in the G&T's... and the wine ...'cos when I'm in my 'retirement bungalow' they will be rare treats.
Night all... I'm an hour and several G&Ts in front of you!

Lona Fri 20-May-16 22:12:15

Definitely head Lucky. You will stop hearing the traffic after a while and it's the sensible thing to do.

Eloethan Sat 21-May-16 00:51:04

Luckygirl It must be very difficult to make such a decision but the bungalow you describe sounds nice and, from what you say, not overlooked.

I can understand you not liking the drone of traffic but if it is very faint you probably won't hear it indoors, especially if there is double glazing. I like my house and garden but if I sit in the garden and the wind is in the wrong direction there is quite loud 24-hour traffic noise from an underpass, even though it is some distance away. I must admit, I find it annoying but I think what you describe is probably nowhere near as intrusive.

I have researched ways of "masking" garden noise and several things are suggested which distract the ears:

the sound of running water, which I believe can be achieved with a garden pond and a solar-operated fountain, or some garden centres have garden ponds that feature water running over rocks.

bamboo (You'd need to get advice re any non-invasive types or plant in several large pots because otherwise it spreads too much) which are said to be very effective at masking noise as they make a relaxing swishing noise.

wind chimes (if you like them - not everybody does)

Also I believe planting dense evergreen round the edges of the garden is very effective at deadening traffic noise (though can be expensive to have maintain). I expect planting bushes would help but would not be quite so effective.

Your current home sounds absolutely lovely but, from what you say, it does not serve your needs now and that is likely to become more problematic in future. It's sad that you will lose the beautiful view but there seem to be many compensating factors if you move to the bungalow you have seen.

As others have said, best not to think about it for too long as nice homes are snapped up fairly quickly these days. Good luck.

grannyqueenie Sat 21-May-16 01:58:01

Go with your head lucky. After 40 years in a large city we moved to small market town, when we were househunting it seemed positively rural to us. After we moved in we found out there was much more noise from passing aircraft than we had ever imagined and twice an hour a small bus went along our road, we were gutted and couldn't believe that after all our research we'd missed these two important aspects. At the time I consoled myself that passing aircraft would remind me of the wider world and stop me developing an unhelpful small town mentality! Several years on I no longer notice the planes and a few years back when I was struggling with Achilles tendonitis and then hip problems that bus was brilliant. You sound like someone who has a half full rather than a half empty outlook on life so try to concentrate on the positives, be brave and make the move.

Luckygirl Sat 21-May-16 09:56:53

Strangely, although the bungalow is nearer civilization in many ways, the nearest shop is just as far away! But unless you are actually in town, that tends to be the way of things round here.

I have rung the agent this morning to arrange a more detailed viewing. It is pouring with rain, so if it is today, it will be a chance to see it at its worst!