Gransnet forums

Chat

Artificial sweeteners

(10 Posts)
Katek Wed 25-May-16 10:01:31

There is a possibility that DH may be allergic to the saccharin in his sweetener (loooong story). Can anyone tell me which brands don't contain this? Tried Mr Google and got bogged down in analyses of every sweetener known to man! Just want a simple answer without lurking in supermarket reading all the packets.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 10:04:44

Stevia. All natural. (from a plant)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 10:06:35

according to is, it's even good for you

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 10:07:34

No!!! The one time I don't preview....

I will try again.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-May-16 10:08:48

here

jollyg Wed 25-May-16 10:36:01

More food for thought!

healthyeating.sfgate.com/stevia-vs-sucralose-10342.html

willsmadnan Wed 25-May-16 11:36:56

I have been giving Stevia a try , as I've never been sure about the side effects of aspartame based sweetners , but I'm finding it has a bitter aftertaste in tea and coffee...... which is a shame as I really thought it was a good, narural alternative to sugar.
So, I've decided to go ' cold turkey' in hot drinks. I'm going to stick with it as everyone says after a while you don't like the taste of sweet tea or coffee. I'm not convinced, but then I've got a sweet tooth!

Nandalot Wed 25-May-16 13:12:02

I too have a sweet tooth but have given up sugar in my tea except for my morning cuppa in bed. (I married DH on the condition he always brought me one). Strange thing is that if he forgets the sugar I can't drink it while the reverse is true. If I accidentally get a tea with sugar in during the day I can't drink that as it is too sweet. The human brain is weird

aquagran Wed 25-May-16 13:58:07

I am exactly the same as you Nandalot! I have given up sugar in drinks for three weeks now, and am coping quite well, but that early morning cuppa...must have sugar.

NanKate Wed 25-May-16 17:21:39

Stevia for me too.