Gransnet forums

Chat

House name

(63 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 31-May-16 10:24:19

We are hoping to move house to a bungalow in the next few weeks - I am hedging my bets here as I do not want to get my hopes too high and have it all fall through!

The bungalow is lovely except for its name, which is very twee and has "Y"s where "I"s should be. Not our kind of thing at all. We would like to give it a new name - probably based on the lovely big maple tree in the front garden.

Any idea for names? - I'm thinking Maple Lodge at the moment.

And has anyone ever changed their house name and was it an easy process?

It is not on a street, nor are any of the houses numbered - just names.

M0nica Tue 31-May-16 10:32:16

You will need to inform the Post Office of the change of name if the houses in your road are identified by name rather than number and it might be worth including the phrase (previously known as........) in your addressfor the first year.

grannyactivist Tue 31-May-16 10:36:17

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/4209325/Property-advice-How-to-change-the-name-of-your-house.html
I think this link covers it Lucky.

My parents in law have lived in (amongst others) April Cottage, Pine Cottage and Rose Cottage. The latter has been in the family for a long time and having recently moved into it permanently my parents in law have decided to change the name. Fortunately it also has a house number so it's not as much as a palaver as it would be otherwise. My house has only a name and no number and we decided it would be too much bother to change it when we moved; it's a reasonable name, but rather grand sounding for us. smile

J52 Tue 31-May-16 11:07:34

We had a house called 'Maplewood' a little different from house or cottage.

X

Indinana Tue 31-May-16 11:32:18

I like Maple Lodge. Or there's Maplewood or Mapledene. Good luck with the move - you're definitely doing the right thing, I'm sure you'll grow to love the new place.

Juggernaut Tue 31-May-16 11:41:00

When my grandparents moved after after 60 years in one house they changed the name of the new place from 'Rowan Cottage' to 'Wirthelaru’.
Their new neighbours thought it sounded quite exotic, but it was named due to my granddad's habit of wandering around the house looking for nana, all the while muttering 'Dolly, where the hell are you'?grin

Juliette Tue 31-May-16 11:43:33

There's a care home called Maple Lodge not a million miles away from here. Maplewood is much better and more appropriate to you Luckygirl

merlotgran Tue 31-May-16 11:45:20

Is the tree in good heart? I know someone who lives in 'The Elms' only there aren't any now. sad

harrigran Tue 31-May-16 11:52:31

My 95 year old aunt is in a care home called Maple Lodge, it does sound a bit like an institution.
Why not ascertain exactly what type of Maple it is and see if that is pleasing.

kittylester Tue 31-May-16 11:54:43

When we moved to our present house it was 2 Xxx xxxxxx Court which we used until being informed by the council that they hadn't given permission for that address. That's 23 years ago and they still send letters to us at that address.

I like Maplewood too.

Elrel Tue 31-May-16 12:33:46

Monica - good advice, a house formerly known as Lake Farm still appeared on various lists as that years later. Taxis and emergency services didn't have the new name which it was bought with causing confusion.

harrigran Tue 31-May-16 12:48:44

DD lives in Belgium and her street name is in French but when she uses a taxi she has to give the name in Dutch otherwise the taxi driver doesn't understand confused

ninathenana Tue 31-May-16 13:00:11

Sorry but to me Maple Lodge does sound like a care home smile or a rather grand house. You could just go with The Maples.
I like Maplewood.

Anniebach Tue 31-May-16 13:05:08

I wish you much joy in your new home

M0nica Tue 31-May-16 14:49:14

We have bought houses that had names as well as numbers. We have always dropped the name and just used the number. It makes life so much easier.

rosesarered Tue 31-May-16 15:01:48

Luckygirl glad you have now bought the new bungalow! It will be fun to adapt it now to your own needs, decorate, maybe new furniture etc.smile
Not too keen on Maple Lodge, it does sound a bit 'Agatha Christie' but Maplewood or even The Maples sounds fine.However, it's your house, so don't be swayed by any of us.

rosesarered Tue 31-May-16 15:03:06

You will need to tell the Post Office if there isn't a number.

Luckygirl Tue 31-May-16 15:26:48

roses - bungalow purchase is going through the motions at the moment and we have our fingers crossed that it will all go smoothly - but you never know with searches and solicitors! Fingers crossed; and thank you all for your goood wishes.

Newquay Tue 31-May-16 17:25:13

My DH grew up in "Rosemount" so we called our house that after they had moved from there. Then realised we'd better have some roses so bought a lovely yellow one named Laura after our lovely first DGD.
Happy new home lucky girl then whatever you decide on for a name-just make sure all the official folks know-you don't want the fire engine wasting time looking for you?

Bellasnana Tue 31-May-16 17:56:56

We changed the name of our last house from something unpronounceable in Maltese to 'Casa Nascosta' meaning 'hidden house' (in Italian) which it was. I have since been told it is unlucky to change a house's name.

I like the name Maplewood, or The Maples but it's your house so pick what you like best.smile

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 18:54:05

Yes, get the tree checked out!!
We named our house after a large tree in the back garden but it is looking a bit sad now and may disappear altogether due to ash die-back sad

Maranta Tue 31-May-16 19:01:04

My husband and I bought a bungalow which we later discovered had had it's name changed years previously. We were forever getting letters about getting a TV licence, even thought we had one under the present name of the property. We were continually threatened with the detector van and I don't think the situation was ever resolved. (I don't live there now).

M0nica Wed 01-Jun-16 09:55:04

I went for a walk through a nearby new estate. The houses are all in roads or closes with a clear house numbering. I was amused to notice how many had also acquired names as well.

I really cannot see the point in naming a house when it has a street number.

Lilyflower Wed 01-Jun-16 09:57:51

We bought a house from the people who built it in 1934 and named it after a feature of the house. We thought the name a bit blunt and added 'Cottage' to it. The Post Office was informed and we never had any trouble with post going astray.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 01-Jun-16 09:58:19

I always thought Lodge meant the gatehouse to a large Manor House.