Gransnet forums

Chat

My dog is a 'Meeter and Greeter'

(35 Posts)
Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 14:41:48

When I take my dogs for a walk, one of them is so friendly, walking up to other people as if she knows them, and demands to be stroked. She's a Staffordshire Bull terrier, and she's getting on a bit.

When she sees somebody - anybody - she approaches them wagging her tail and wiggling her body and I watch the body language of those people. Nine out of ten times they smile and stroke her and we start up a conversation, all because of her.

I find that people tell me all sorts of things, especially much older people sitting on benches who now suddenly have someone to talk to, and they tell me where they have been and what they had for lunch, how many grandchildren they have, what dogs they used to have. My little dog is like an ambassador for goodwill.

Because of her breed the odd person won't have anything to do with us and that is fine, but as for the rest, well my walk ends up lasting for a whole lot longer, and I have found myself really looking forward to our daily get togethers.

Yesterday our walk took over an hour. It was lovely. Some people stopped and showed me the birds they had spotted on their camera, and I spoke to a very elderly couple about Acer trees and where we have them in our gardens.
Life is a privilege. Sometimes we forget that.

rosesarered Fri 24-Jun-16 14:44:42

I love those sort of dogs Nonnie and always give them a pat.smile

breeze Fri 24-Jun-16 14:47:13

Hear hear! How beautifully said. flowers

tanith Fri 24-Jun-16 14:52:54

Nonnie1 my OH would be one of the ones who walks past or avoids you , he's a lovely friendly chap but he's scared of dogs sadly, he just can't get over it and they always know. So don't think too badly of those who avoid you.

NanaandGrampy Fri 24-Jun-16 17:22:31

That's really lovely ! Before Elf and Safety we had 2 10 stone Bernese that I would take into the local infant school for story time.

The dogs would lay down surrounded by tinies who wanted to join in and I'd tell the tale of how Bernese got their distinctive markings. Once story time was done we'd harness the dogs to their carts and take the little ones for a ride round the playground.

We worked with many little ones who had a fear of dogs getting good results. The dogs are so big and so gentle they made wonderful ambassadors.

Of course non of this would be allowed now smile . Not my dog in the picture but you get the idea.

Your little chap sounds a very similar natured dog Nonnie I hope he'll be around for a good long while yet, making friends .

millymouge Fri 24-Jun-16 17:34:52

Your little chap sounds a lot like mine. We have two rescued ex racing greyhounds, and anyone that so much as looks at them is greeted with a waggy tail and a poke with the nose to be petted. People want to talk to you when they see you if you have a dog, they really break the ice, and we have made many friends over the years because of our dogs. Some people don't seem too happy just now so it's nice to be able to cheer them up a bit.

Tizliz Fri 24-Jun-16 18:22:56

I feel it is such a shame when people don't like dogs, they are missing out on so much.

ninathenana Fri 24-Jun-16 18:29:02

N&G I'm envy they're such beautiful friendly dogs. I wouldn't want the food bill though for two of them grin
Nonnie I love staffies too. I love the way the chunter as if they're talking to you.

NanaandGrampy Fri 24-Jun-16 19:25:52

smile Nina luckily they weren't picky unlike our current little chap !

I agree Tizliz I understand why some people are but they are missing unconditional love dogs can bring .

Judthepud2 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:16:07

My little cocker spaniel loves to meet and greet. She nearly wags her tail off and grins broadly. Poor lass hasn't yet learned that not all dogs and people are friendly. sad But like you said Nonnie not everyone likes dogs. I now always call her back when anyone is around, unless they are actively showing interest.

Mind you, lots of people seem intrigued by her energy. The usual comment is 'she's full of beans, isn't she?' Walks do tend to take a lot longer than planned due to chats with other dog owners. A whole new world for me!

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:17:43

One Sunday I was out walking them and I met up with some younger people more my own children's age with their dog, and we were all doing the doggy talk thing..as you do.. when some others came along and we were all talking and chilling.

I felt so happy to be accepted into a younger age group, and when we parted the only thing I did not do was the knuckle to knuckle thing because I did not feel at my age is was appropriate smile

Had there been no dogs present we would have walked pat one another without a second glance

Deedaa Fri 24-Jun-16 21:46:20

I always talk to people with Staffies. They are usually very friendly and pleased to talk to someone who doesn't think their dog is likely to eat someone.

Charleygirl Fri 24-Jun-16 21:59:29

I love dogs and cannot understand anybody who is afraid of them unless they were bitten at some stage. I could not look after a dog properly, hence my lovely cat Tara. I do love animals around me. I am always happy to dog sit and we usually have great fun.

rubylady Sat 25-Jun-16 04:10:21

I've not got my little girl out recently, due to being unwell. I have though today asked my son to take my mobility scooter back out of the boot of the car and then I can at least get her to the park nearby. She has a great way of making me feel guilty and I do owe her as she is there for me no matter what. smile

Scooter58 Sat 25-Jun-16 04:30:43

I find the same when I am out and about with Zeta,my German Shepherd,she is very friendly and it never ceases to amaze me how people take to her.I am just back from a few days away with her.Was waiting in the bus queue when a crowd of boisterous teenagers appeared,If alone I would expect to be ignored,however they were all taking turns to clap her and one young lad around 14 made a point of sitting beside me on the bus,fussing over Zeta and chatting about his holiday etc,feel good factor all round.

Scooter58 Sat 25-Jun-16 04:34:39

This is Zeta enjoying her holiday

breeze Sat 25-Jun-16 07:46:59

One of mine 'relaxing' on holiday last month!

spyder08 Sat 25-Jun-16 11:10:57

This is so true! We have lived in our village for almost 40 Years. Inevitably in that time things have changed, people have come and gone and there has been a certain amount of "new build". I may not know everyone as I did 40 years ago but Imdo know all the dog walkers and their respective dogs!

ninathenana Sun 26-Jun-16 01:32:27

Beautiful dog breeze

oldgoat Sun 26-Jun-16 08:28:39

Reading this thread has convinced me that our decision to get a dog is the right one. We have decided on the breed we want and are going to look at some puppies in a couple of week's time when they are starting to show their personalities. We both had dogs when we were children but only had cats when we were at work all day. OH loves dogs and likes to look after DD's. I worry that he doesn't get out enough and think that taking the dog out will make his life more interesting.
We've been weighing the pros and cons for ages but are now convinced that getting a dog will be a good thing. Can't wait!

TriciaF Sun 26-Jun-16 09:35:27

The dog we look after for a neighbour is a meeter and greeter - a Breton spaniel, very gentle and sociable. But our own dog, a border collie, is very suspicious of other people, won't even allow them to stroke her. But she's fine with family, even if we haven't seen them for ages, she seems to know.
But I can't stand those over-effusive dogs who jump up.

tanith Sun 26-Jun-16 09:43:07

Maybe doggie owners can give me some tips we walk regularly and as I said OH is scared of dogs one in particular a husky walked by a young man and every time he sees us he starts pulling whining and if we get close enough barking and jumping up on his extendable lead. We try and avoid him and I feel bad for him and the owner but is there something we are doing wrong?

breeze Sun 26-Jun-16 11:26:04

It may help if you don't make eye contact. Eye contact (especially direct staring) is perceived as confrontational to dogs. And often, when people are scared, their eyes widen and they stare at the object of their fear. Tell your OH to look away and turn body slightly away. The dog may be friendly of course, I don't know, but even friendly dogs shouldn't be allowed to lunge at strangers, as some are fearful and it's not fair to make them frightened. Both of you, look away, turn your bodies slightly away. That is what a canine, who doesn't want confrontation, would do.

breeze Sun 26-Jun-16 11:27:51

Thank you Nina.

breeze Sun 26-Jun-16 11:35:42

Here's the other one on the same holiday looking 'not so beautiful'! Plum tuckered after doing his most favourite thing in the whole world. Playing in mud! No hosepipe where we stayed!