Gransnet forums

Chat

Changing room mirrors

(75 Posts)
sunseeker Fri 01-Jul-16 08:41:11

There has been an experiment in a major Bristol shopping centre where all the mirrors in changing rooms have been covered up. The idea is that women are so unhappy with their bodies that they don't want to see them when trying on clothes. I don't know about anyone else but when I try something on I want to see how it looks. I actually think this is somewhat condescending. I would rather they made the changing rooms bigger and improved the lighting.

NanaandGrampy Fri 01-Jul-16 08:50:33

I'm sorry but that sounds like a ridiculous idea !!! Many a time I've liked something on the hanger but when I put it on it was a disaster !!

What next....they offer you a proxy to do the trying on for you smile ?

GandTea Fri 01-Jul-16 08:54:31

How about replacing the mirrors with men, we can give our honest opinions.

" Of course your bum does not look big in that -- well not that big anyway" ,,,etc)

sunseeker Fri 01-Jul-16 09:04:29

GandTea That job would probably qualify for hazard pay!

Teetime Fri 01-Jul-16 09:09:27

I usually find someone to give me an opinion anyway as there is always someone lurking - another opportunity for a bit of flirting (see other thread).

M0nica Fri 01-Jul-16 13:43:46

I want to see how I look in something before I buy it. I cannot do that if there is no mirror.

AS far as I am concerned it would be 'No mirroe, no sale'.

Are women really so unhappy with their bodies? Fat or thin, it has never bothered me particularly.

annodomini Fri 01-Jul-16 14:02:30

If you take someone with you, they can take a picture of you with their phone. My GD did that for me.

annodomini Fri 01-Jul-16 14:04:20

Or you could ask the assistant to take the picture with your camera.

M0nica Fri 01-Jul-16 14:13:08

A tiddly little picture on a smart phone or camera screen is too small to show anything, other than to confirm you have tried the dress on.

Coolgran65 Fri 01-Jul-16 15:11:13

Teetime - definitly a flirt.
I'm with you, all for it.

A mirror is a MUST.

Christinefrance Fri 01-Jul-16 17:19:58

How patronising is that ? I'm with MONICA no mirror no sale.

What are they suggesting for male changing rooms any suggestions ?

Deedaa Fri 01-Jul-16 20:50:39

Never mind our bodies - what about all the uneven hems and and dodgy seams that the changing room mirror shows up?

Elegran Fri 01-Jul-16 21:05:09

They don't want us to know how badly it fits before we hand over the money. Perhaps they think it will seem too much effort to return it once we have tried it on at home and found out what it really looks like.

They will be issuing us with blindfolds next, and expecting us to pick something from the racks at random.

What a brainless idea! More mirrors would make more sense, so that we can see the side view and the back.

Kittye Fri 01-Jul-16 22:04:56

As far as I'm concerned no mirror no sale! I wouldn't dream of buying something without seeing how it fitted from all angles.

GandTea Fri 01-Jul-16 22:44:17

A few years ago, I was lurking outside the ladies changing room along with another man. Each time a lady came out wearing her proposed purchase, he said how great she looked in it, none of them were his wife {smile]

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 01-Jul-16 23:46:00

Apparently it's happening in shopping centres all over the UK and the shops involved are talking turns to cover up the mirrors. The video about this is stupid.

I prefer shopping alone and would not rely on anyone's opinion before buying something. I might ask a friend or relation for their opinion, but I would not buy based on their opinion alone.

millymouge Sat 02-Jul-16 07:22:27

Do they think people don't have brains. Why on earth would you buy something if you can't see what you look like in it. I often see something that I might like but when I try it on I can see it is not for me, I like to be able to get a good all round view of myself in something before I consider buying, besides you are looking at the clothes not at your body. Personally I wouldn't bother shopping somewhere where they treated me like that. angry

GandTea Sat 02-Jul-16 07:25:00

I can't see it lasting long, shoppers will vote with their feet.

Anya Sat 02-Jul-16 07:44:17

Do you make a habit of lurking outside ladies changing rooms GT hmm

sunseeker Sat 02-Jul-16 07:46:59

So glad everyone seems to agree with me. The owners of the shopping centre say that customers can ask an assistant for an opinion of how the garment looks! Even if you could find an assistant would you really trust the opinion of someone whose job it is to sell you something?

GandTea Sat 02-Jul-16 08:23:49

Only when I'm left holding the shopping. Mind, you. I'm on first name terms with the staff at M&Co.

Anya Sat 02-Jul-16 08:46:13

I'm of the firm opinion G&T that large stores should offer, not a child-minding service, but a 'Hubby Room' with a vending/drinks machine, TV and the daily papers.

I think it would increase sales when women didn't feeler stressed or rushed at the thought of their OH hanging around outside changing room clutching a plastic bag grin

NanaandGrampy Sat 02-Jul-16 09:11:18

Your wish is my command Anya

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20056/Shopping-centre-opens-creche-men.html

Nelliemoser Sat 02-Jul-16 09:17:57

What a daft idea Its only when you see yourself in a garment you can tell where it does and does not fit.

A couple of years ago in BHS they seemed to have mirrors that made you look slimmer and taller. I don't know if it was just badly made glass or deliberate.

Anya Sat 02-Jul-16 09:29:25

A man-crêche!