Gransnet forums

Chat

I've made a faux pas!

(64 Posts)
Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 19:02:17

How many times do we say on this site "don't say it, keep your thoughts to yourself". I know that so why didn't I put my brain in gear before I opened my mouth? My DD is expecting her second baby in January and has just had her first scan (all well). Whilst chatting excitedly I asked if they had thought of any names and she replied "oh yes, we like Ezra" to which I immediately replied "oh poor baby, he'll get bullied at school". Needless to say my comment went down like a lead balloon. Note to self - engage brain, smile sweetly (oh and perhaps hope for a girl).

aggie Fri 29-Jul-16 19:13:34

Fraid I would have said the same !! My youngest GD s name was a surprise , but then they gave her a ridiculous nickname , I use her name not the nickname lol

annsixty Fri 29-Jul-16 19:22:09

My GS 3 is Alfie and while I am used to it now and actually quite like it, when told his name I just blurted out "Oh no what made you choose that?"

janeainsworth Fri 29-Jul-16 19:26:16

Grannyben you can tell your DD that I think that Ezra is a fantastic name. I was rather hoping one of my American DGS would be given it, though I did like the names they were actually given.
Children seem to be given such weird names these days that I doubt anyone is bullied just because of their name.

DaphneBroon Fri 29-Jul-16 19:30:04

I too kept my counsel when DD told me the alternatives to the name they eventually settled on for littlest fella.
But I would have loved him just as much if he'd been called Marmaduke Dumbledore!

Purpledaffodil Fri 29-Jul-16 19:31:57

There are far worse names about as any teacher knows. Pacific and Atlantic anyone? At least Ezra is easy for him? to spell and will fit on his tray. Once had a boy with hyphenated first names and surname. Parents wouldn't allow any of it to be abbreviated and it had to be written in a tiny font to fit it on books, tray etc. Ezra quite restrained in comparison. wink

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 19:36:28

I really like Alfie, it's very popular now. I have to say, we have been saying Ezra all day at work and my colleagues have all said it's growing on them. I do like biblical names (we have an Isaac) but I was thinking more Daniel or Samuel.

phoenix Fri 29-Jul-16 19:53:09

I rather like the name "Ezra", at least it's a proper name, not some made up weird thing!

Indinana Fri 29-Jul-16 19:53:43

The boy name my DS and his then partner chose for their baby was disliked intensely by both sides of the family and we all playfully ganged up on them when we went out for a family celebration meal. The consensus was that it sounded like a used car salesman shock. They took it in good part and joined in the hilarity, which was really big of them.
The baby was indeed a boy, and they chose a different name (which we weren't terribly keen on but it's grown on us). Daft thing is, several years on I quite like their original choice of name, but I daren't tell them now blush

Indinana Fri 29-Jul-16 19:54:02

PS - I think Ezra is a terrific name!

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 20:07:13

Perhaps it isn't as bad as I initially thought. I wonder, Jane, if it's a name more popular in America? I only say this because I have a name which was more popular in the 60s but is still quite common in the USA. Oh, Atlantic and pacific, now there's a thought! My eldest daughter knows someone who called their little boy jack Russell?

Galen Fri 29-Jul-16 20:07:46

My youngest niece is Ezrie apparently Hebrew for helper.
My dgds are Merryn and Elowen apparently Cornish and Welsh

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 20:13:25

It is Hebrew, as is our Isaac. I do like traditional names, particularly Irish ones but I must say Marmaduke dumbledore is my favourite do far

Linsco56 Fri 29-Jul-16 20:37:18

I really like the name Ezra, it's unusual and with only 2 syllables it will go well with almost any surname.

Far better than some of the popular names of the 80's....Wayne, Shane, Toyah etc...although each to their own!

I much prefer traditional names that won't sound ridiculous when your 80.

hildajenniJ Fri 29-Jul-16 20:40:23

Grannyben, my DD has a three year old of that name. She lives all the old names, he has an unusual middle name too, Dante! He is the most adorable little boy. "What's in a name".

hildajenniJ Fri 29-Jul-16 20:42:24

Loves!!! His brothers are called Jude and Zephaniah and his sister is Ruth. All Biblical but they were chosen for being unusual.

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 20:47:06

I suggested Jude!

watermeadow Fri 29-Jul-16 20:52:47

My granddaughter wanted to name her dog Ezra. Apparently it's the name of a character in a popular teen TV series, so is getting very usual now.
We gave our youngest a Biblical name which was extremely unusual. Within a couple of years it was very common (in both senses) after featuring in a soap opera!

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 21:00:53

I've just googled it. He's called Ezra Fitz and he has a dog called Maggie. We have a dog called Maggie! Perhaps it's meant to be

trisher Fri 29-Jul-16 21:02:44

All my babies had names before they were born that changed when they arrived. You never know what might happen. I don't think bullying because of a name is as common as it used to be, maybe because there are so many unusual names now.

Deedaa Fri 29-Jul-16 21:06:22

I had to marshal all my tact and diplomacy when my neighbours told me they had called their new baby Megan. I managed to say "What a lovely name" instead of "Why have you called her after a Border Collie?"

Grannyben Fri 29-Jul-16 21:12:48

Haha, my DD (mum to be of Ezra) is called Megan

grannylyn65 Fri 29-Jul-16 21:38:05

They're lovely names Galen
I like Ezra
George too !!

Witzend Fri 29-Jul-16 21:39:17

I heard of someone whose daughter called her baby Otis.

I think I'd have done my best to pretend I was OK with it - and then gone away and cried for the poor little bubba.
Thank heavens my dd has given her two lovely names that aren't weird or made up or too cutesy-cutesy, and that aren't done to death at the moment and would date them horribly later.

Jane10 Fri 29-Jul-16 21:40:29

galen Merryn and Elowen are terrific names! Our eldest DGS has an unusual name but it was a vast improvement on what they wanted to call him. We weren't that keen at first but he's grown into it.