Gransnet forums

Chat

Three piece suit.....

(24 Posts)
Blondehedgehog Sun 28-Aug-16 13:33:36

What ever happened to the three piece suit? All adverts these days are for sofas of all shapes and sizes.I prefer to have a chair to myself and not have to share a sofa. I suppose I am old fashioned....but at least comfortable. Any thoughts?

tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 13:36:18

Haven't had a 3 piece suite for a long time we favour a sofa and recliner chair that match, maybe its because homes are smaller nowadays and a 3 piece is just too big..

ninathenana Sun 28-Aug-16 13:37:54

Harvey's have 3 pieces

Ana Sun 28-Aug-16 13:40:59

Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about men's formal attire...grin

DanniRae Sun 28-Aug-16 13:43:42

I like a three piece suit - my husband has an armchair and I sit on the sofa - leading to me, gradually, laying on the sofa and falling asleep! moon

Christinefrance Sun 28-Aug-16 14:03:19

Just going to mourn the demise of the waistcoat

Charleygirl Sun 28-Aug-16 14:05:28

I have a newish 3 piece suite. My chair is a recliner, the other armchair is "normal" and my 2 seater sofa reclines also. It is slimmer than most suites because not a lot would fit into my modern home.

kittylester Sun 28-Aug-16 16:39:51

We have matching sofas and footstools!!

annsixty Sun 28-Aug-16 17:18:34

I always knew I was a pleb. I have three seater and two seater settees and an armchair. I also have a very big room. Also two side tables , one long coffee table, a set of matching individual tables and a wall unit. Television on a stand and more nesting tables tucked in a corner. The room is not crowded. No taste at all I'm afraid.

KatyK Sun 28-Aug-16 18:12:49

We have a three piece suite - cream leather and I love it smile

M0nica Sun 28-Aug-16 21:12:27

I have never owned a three piece suite. I have always gone for mix and match.

Alima Sun 28-Aug-16 21:48:13

We have had a large and small sofa for several years. Before that it was a reclining suite which we hated, so much effort to resort to normal sitting from reclining plus I was worried the cats would get trapped in the mechanism.

rosesarered Sun 28-Aug-16 21:48:41

Not a whistle and flute then?grin

We have had two sofas for a number of years, can't say I miss a chair.

Ilrina Sun 28-Aug-16 22:04:40

We have one, loose covers though, have to be able to get them off to wash. Had ours 19 yrs now. It has had a bit of upholstery and a recovering, and I would hate to part with it as it is so comfy

Indinana Sun 28-Aug-16 22:24:12

We have had two sofas for years. Yes, I like a seat all to myself too - I have a two seater sofa to myself, and DH has a 3 seater all to himself grin. Well, unless we have visitors of course.

(And I too mourn the passing of the three piece suit - my DH used to cut a fine figure in his weskit many years ago when he worked in the city.)

BBbevan Mon 29-Aug-16 05:06:31

We have a three piece suite of sorts. An enormous sofa recovered in a William Morris print and two club armchairs recovered in a toning sage green velvet. The sofa is 6 ft long and ideal for a Sunday afternoon snooze.

petra Tue 30-Aug-16 19:16:38

I had to think back to the last time I had a 3 piece suite. It was in 1979. I have 2 large settees now, one is primrose yellow and one terracotta, both with washable covers.
As an aside, I don't like wallpaper either. I'm afraid that 3 piece suites always remind me of care homes.

lefthanded Tue 30-Aug-16 19:45:12

I think this is the last time I wore a 3-piece suit! With 3-inch wide lapels, all the rage in 1975.

hildajenniJ Tue 30-Aug-16 20:08:05

We had a three piece suite when we first got married. It was a gold coloured brocade type material, inherited from my MiL. Since then we have favoured the sofa corner unit and each have one side. Our present one comes with a rather large footstool. It's very comfortable.

Deedaa Tue 30-Aug-16 21:55:28

We used to have a three piece suite but now we just have a two seater sofa and an armchair, and DH has his computer chair. If all the family come round they just sit on any available flat surface.

Synonymous Tue 30-Aug-16 22:03:47

And very handsome you looked too, left handed grin

Pigglywiggly Wed 31-Aug-16 09:23:47

We bought our first three piece suite in our 50s. We also bought a matching 2 seater sofa. It all looks very dated now, 13 years later.

Greyduster Wed 31-Aug-16 09:42:37

We inherited a very good three piece suite from DH's sister - it came from Harrods - but it was rather large and didn't fit into the house we bought eventually, so we got rid of it (an upholsterer we knew snapped our hands off for it because the frame was hand built) and went to a sofa and two Parker Knoll recliners (not matching), then later to a leather three piece suite, which DH wanted. I hate leather furniture. It fitted into our previous living room okay, but here, despite it being a bigger room, it is the wrong shape for two chairs and would be better with a three seater and a two seater sofa instead. We still kept one of the recliners and it is in the conservatory. It has always been my go-to chair, and still is. Sofas seem to be the way to go these days.

Willow500 Wed 31-Aug-16 17:10:40

I've lost count of the number of suites we've had over the years - mostly 3 piece ones but the last furniture we bought is a large sofa and smaller one and a swivel chair that no one sits in. If/when we move it will never fit in a smaller home so we'll need yet another one!!