Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you eat coal?

(76 Posts)
Swanny Sun 28-Aug-16 14:17:07

A comment from Gagagran on another post got me thinking about taste changes during pregnancy. I can't remember having any cravings but I did go right off alcohol (only for the duration lol wine hic!) and stopped biting my nails, forever.

I was so proud of my new talons I painted them a bright orange. At the first checkup I had with the GP he told me off as he wanted to see the nails to gauge my calcium levels!

Greyduster Sun 28-Aug-16 14:23:27

Eat coal? I was so big when I was pregnant I couldn't get into the bath to get it out! ?

Marmight Sun 28-Aug-16 14:27:39

Greyduster grin
Not coal : pickled onions and gallons of milk. Haven't touched a pickled onion in years but still love milk, of the skimmed variety. I blame the over consumption of milk on the wait gain ... still hoping to lose it after 34 years wink

tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 14:30:20

I used to eat cream crackers with cheese and smothered in ketchup when I was pregnant I still eat them occasionally but oddly I don't like ketchup on anything else..

Greyduster Sun 28-Aug-16 14:38:18

Seriously, though, when I was pregnant with my son we were in the Far East. Fresh milk was hard to come by and what did I get a craving for? Fresh milk! Up to that point, I had never been a milk drinker, always hated it. We lived next door to a naval Petty Officer and his wife (who was also pregnant - she had a craving for oranges and had never liked them either!) and whenever he could, he would bring me fresh milk from the naval base where he worked. I don't think I had any cravings with DD.

boheminan Sun 28-Aug-16 14:44:20

Yes, I nibbled on lumps of coal and brick during my second pregnancy

grannylyn65 Sun 28-Aug-16 14:55:46

grin greyduster !

Anniebach Sun 28-Aug-16 14:58:19

Cheese and extra strong mints, and the smell of firefighters , I would crumble them just to have the smell on my hands

TriciaF Sun 28-Aug-16 15:21:07

I craved sharp apples like Bramleys when pregnant.
A friend chewed lumps of tar - from road repairs. But she wasn't pregnant.

gettingonabit Sun 28-Aug-16 15:38:34

annie laughing at you crumbling those firefighters...grin.

I loved soil. Not any old soil, mind you, but the crumbly peaty soil from a particular potted plant. I used to wrap some up and take it to work for a sneaky taste.

I didn't crave anything else, but odd things made me nauseous. I couldn't stand the green wallpaper in the new house we moved into, so I painted over it.

I couldn't stand the look of the modern office block behind the house, so I had to avoid that too.

And there was a particular Welsh hymn I used to really like which set me off.

Weird.

I still love the feel of sand in my mouth. blush.

millymouge Sun 28-Aug-16 15:50:31

Chips and pickled onions. Each of my 4 pregnancies was the same. Poor DH was always having to go down the chippie, homemade ones didn't work, had to be shop ones with a big pickled onion.

Linsco56 Sun 28-Aug-16 16:13:02

Blue cheese and Gaviscon. ?

Galen Sun 28-Aug-16 16:21:44

Pickled gherkins!

shysal Sun 28-Aug-16 16:23:43

A friend used to carry a wet flannel in a poly bag wherever she went when pregnant, as she felt compelled to suck on it!
She also secreted bags of carrots behind the cushions.

Marmight Sun 28-Aug-16 16:52:57

Post at 14.27. Weight gain not wait gain blush

Swanny Sun 28-Aug-16 16:53:24

Thanks everyone for sharing your foibles grin I didn't believe anyone would actually eat coal but I now know different! Brick, soil, damp flannel - what peculiar creatures we are.

I think we should nominate Anniebach to light the flame at the next GN Olympics with her crumbled firefighters lol wink

Auntieflo Sun 28-Aug-16 17:17:03

Gin and menthol cigarettes! As I neither drank or smoked, I don't know where those cravings came from. I also hated the smell of lemon washing up liquid, and I ate pounds of apples. The 3 children turned out sober, and non-smokers. Two of them like fruit, one can't stand anything green or healthy. I do enjoy a gin and tonic now though. wink

Alima Sun 28-Aug-16 17:22:29

Developed a real craving for tinned apricots but after eating a whole tin at one sitting decided they weren't very nice after all. I also went off coffee, disaster as it was the only thing I drank after going off alcohol too.

Ilrina Sun 28-Aug-16 19:44:09

Didn't eat anything strange, but drank gallons of Lukozade, normally hate the stuff

Alishka Sun 28-Aug-16 20:27:08

Overheard on the bus..."we had a day out with our Club on Wednesday. We went to Bourton on the Water, it was ok, but the place was full of of visitors".
confusedgrin

Alishka Sun 28-Aug-16 20:31:42

(Sorry, I don't know how this ended up here. Spect it's what comes of trying to type with my new specs)

Oranges...that was my pregnancy craving. Oranges sucked through a hole in the skin til the flesh was dry. Made a horrible sound, a horribly dribble mess, but the craving for eating them that way was too much to resist.
Returned to eating them properly in segments once the pregnancy was over. What was that all about?

grannyqueenie Sun 28-Aug-16 20:46:54

Ist time around lucozade and copious amounts of fruit gums were the only thing that kept the hideous morning, aka all day, sickness at bay! Two pregnancies I craved red meat, another one I started eating fresh tomatoes which I'd never liked before. Could never stomach coffee and drank tea....not like me at allconfused

Deedaa Sun 28-Aug-16 20:49:33

I didn't have any cravings, but I couldn't stand the taste of tea. Absolute torture because I normally drank gallons of it. The tea I had straight after both births was wonderful!

whitewave Sun 28-Aug-16 21:00:29

Rhubarb. I ate tons of it. Mind you I still like it.

Curlynana14 Sun 28-Aug-16 22:44:37

Not craving to eat something but when lighting the fire had to sniff the firelighters!! So much that i was worried i might do myself or the baby harm, but as soon as i gave birth i forgot all about it. No harm done.