Gransnet forums

Chat

This video makes me quite sad

(30 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 30-Aug-16 08:39:29

www.msn.com/en-gb/video/other/free-range-kids-no-medicine-no-school-routine-no-bed-time/vi-BBurPuk?ocid=spartanntp

I watched this video out of curiosity and its lovely to see such a happy family but I disagree with almost every choice and statement they make.

Obviously this is their life choice and its a snapshot of their lives so maybe there is more that if I saw that I would feel better about their choices.

There were lots of points that I disliked but the one that hit home most was when they said their 7 year old had no need to read and write at that age.

When I look at our little ones who are so proud of their achievements in that area, who learn through their reading and not just from books. Who love to choose food from a menu, or pay at the till being able to check their change. All those little things in life that do need you to be able to read and write.

I think I was also quite horrified that the little girl walks outside in an urban environment with no shoes. Its one thing in your home or garden but pavements have all sorts of nasties on them and linking that to a lack of any type of vaccinations makes me quite sad.

And quite frankly , anyone who carries a placenta around for 6 days needs their head examined smile

But I could be wrong , and this could be the way forward....or not ? smile

rosesarered Tue 30-Aug-16 08:47:46

Having read your post, I have no need to see it in action.grin

rosesarered Tue 30-Aug-16 08:48:36

......the answer is NOT

Jane10 Tue 30-Aug-16 08:55:53

Blimey -sounds awful. There's nought so queer as folk!

cornergran Tue 30-Aug-16 09:02:01

I looked out of curiosity. They were on tv recently I think. They do seem happy but the lifestyle choices of the parents will have a life long impact on the children, perhaps for the worst. It would be interesting to be able to fast forward 25 years and see what choices the children make as adults.

NfkDumpling Tue 30-Aug-16 09:06:56

Silly people. Have they no regard for the things our ancestors have learned. They'll regret it!

Nelliemoser Tue 30-Aug-16 09:13:36

I can get it to load. I am with you there though another couple with silly ideas.
If you name your children Ulysses and Ostara you will need to educate them "otherwise"

"We want to share our knowledge of off-grid parenting and expand on our experience by fully immersing ourselves in a natural environment where we can become more self sufficient.
So they are asking for people to give them money!??

Why then are they asking for crowd funding for their own benefit.??
They sound attention seeking to me.

Nelliemoser Tue 30-Aug-16 09:15:09

Cannot get it to load.

f77ms Tue 30-Aug-16 09:40:38

I did watch it , I have seen far worse parenting . The only thing I would take issue with is not inoculating them. otherwise it all seems fairly harmless and takes me back to the parenting styles of the 70`s in more intellectual households . I knew quite a few families like this and the children have grown up to be lovely people . I didn`t notice the crowd funding bit ? , but don`t agree with them if that's what they are doing .

KatyK Tue 30-Aug-16 09:49:33

I saw this family on This Morning a while ago. The little boy
was badly behaved, jumping up and down on the sofa etc. They let both of the children do as they pleased in the studio and the smaller child appeared to wee on the studio floor with no apology from the parents.

Anniebach Tue 30-Aug-16 09:57:41

Their choices , the children are loved, this parenting isn't new, I can remember similar in the hippy comunities which sprung up in this area in the sixties and seventies . As for walking barefooted , reminds me when my daughters use to spend the summer holidays with my sister in law in Aberaeron , always walked around the town barefooted , they loved it and mixed well with the children in a hippy commune there

Linsco56 Tue 30-Aug-16 10:26:57

Their parenting choices are not the norm but they seem to be caring and loving parents. The kids are happy for now as they are too young to make comparisons between themselves and other children. I'm not sure how they'll feel about this as the grow older and interact with others outwith their immediate family.

I hope it works well for them.

dramatictessa Tue 30-Aug-16 10:38:47

It's their choice about parenting and the kids will probably be fine, but they are crowd funding to enable them to live abroad somewhere so they can be totally self sufficient. Wrong on so many levels - they can't be self sufficient if they're relying on other people's money, they're not likely to just be able to find the ideal place to live and the local people may well be hostile to an immigrant family who live only by their own rules (that sounds familiar!)

meandashy Tue 30-Aug-16 12:27:35

Even the queen has rules and regulations to abide by! Children need structure & boundaries.
If they are crowd funding their choice of lifestyle then that's just wrong. I'm sure a lot of people would like to be living a different life given more money but that doesn't mean other people should cough up for it!! ?

Evenstar Tue 30-Aug-16 12:57:20

I don't have a problem with the Home schooling as we Home Educate ourselves. Most countries don't start their children into school until they are seven and learning through interests definitely works.
However, you can't go through life without rules and somethings need to be learnt whether you want to or not.
Our daughter hates Maths, for example with a vengeance, but you need to know maths in life, so she has a maths tutor which is non negotiable.
Innoculations in my opinion are an absolute necessity and not allowing your children to have them is selfish. If they develop these illnesses, they will be not only ill themselves, but endangering others they may come into contact with who maybe less able to fight them off.
Walking bare foot for babies is better for them but not outside where you can't be sure what they 're stepping on.
It's unfortunate that Home schooling families like that, who have what I would call extreme ideas, cause people to assume that all Home Educators are the same, which they most certainly arnt.

SueDonim Tue 30-Aug-16 16:48:45

I can't get too worked up about that film. I didn't see the crowdfunding bit - is that elsewhere?

In many countries children don't start compulsory school until they're 7yo yet I believe by the time they are 10yo many of them have surpassed their British counterparts in levels of literacy. My own poor grandson is due to begin school 10days after he is four years old. That's far too young, IMO!

Even the bare footed stuff I am 'meh' about. I wouldn't practise that myself but as long as the parents are watchful, she'll be fine. I spent whole summers on beaches in bare feet in my childhood!

I'm not sure I'd want to breastfeed a child of the age of the boy and I do think for his future online security, he shouldn't be so identifiable.

Mostly, I laughed at how much plastic stuff they have in their lives! It's far more than any of mine ever had! grin

Jayh Tue 30-Aug-16 17:40:15

Mmmm. Interesting to see that the children play with ordinary plastic toys like Daleks and the craft box has the same stuff as our one. I expected craft work to be organic, sticks, leaves, string, pebbles, veg dye ........
I suppose they can get away with not inoculating the children because they can rely on everyone else inoculating theirs and therefore keeping the diseases in check.
It is a good thing that the boy is home schooled as Mum turning up at the school gate to breastfeed him might be a tad harmful to his street cred with his peers.
The barefoot child is the least of it really.
Good for them for taking what they think is a natural approach to child rearing but there are good reasons why we humans are no longer hunter/ gathering. I wonder what sort of childhood the parents experienced.

morethan2 Tue 30-Aug-16 17:43:53

I didn't see anything to worry me apart from the not inoculating the children. That means they are wholly reliant on the rest of the population to inoculating theirs. I too smiled at the amount of plastic toys I saw in the video. If they are able to fund their life choices that's ok. The problem with rearing children is you don't know what mistakes you've made until it's too late and their adults.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-Aug-16 17:48:15

No, I don't think it's the way forward grin, but it didn't make me at all sad. They seem like a loving, well-meaning couple who obviously live for their children and are doing what they think is best for them. And the children seem to be thriving. Yes, I would take issue with the lack of innoculations and sincerely hope that if the children are ill they do have the sense to get medical help when needed instead of relying on that sterile breast milk as a cure-all! But going barefoot is fine imho so long as the parent is looking out for hazards - I used to run to the local shop in my bare feet when I was a child, still whip my shoes off as soon as I see a beach and can see the point about connecting with the ground, and I'm no hippie (well, maybe just a bit of one). It would indeed be interesting to fast forward a few years and see how the family turn out - my guess would be that they are much closer to the mainstream by then as the children make friends with others and turn away from some aspects of their lifestyle.

Yes, the plastic toys! At one stage in the video the dad said the children didn't need plastic toys - has he not looked around him lately? Perhaps Nana bought them! grin

Spangles1963 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:23:01

All very well,but these free-range children invariably grow up into atrociously behaved teenagers then adults.

Jinty44 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:50:13

Googled them to find out about the crowdfunding. Made me think of the Harrison Ford film, 'Mosquito Coast' grin. Should they manage to move to a large plot of land in Costa Rica and become self-sufficient, I wonder how the children will feel as they grow up. n the basis that children rebel wink will they want to move back to the UK and work in insurance? Rather than turning into "atrociously behaved teenagers" maybe they'll emulate Saffron in 'Ab Fab'?

carerof123 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:54:47

it would be interesting to know what jobs the parents have if they are working. I think the issue of a set bedtime for the children would become quite important then as parents would need some time to recharge after working and dealing with home schooling etc

Dharmacat Tue 30-Aug-16 19:09:58

Hmm. Well meaning , BUT, how will the children integrate into a society which, at very least , expects some conformity if they are to succeed and feel a sense of self-worth? Free-range behaviour comes at a cost for other members of society; how are they relating to their peer group /, considering the needs of others or learning that what they want is not necessarily good for them at a particular stage of their development ? In any society there must be a "no " factor with young children and they should not dictate every situation.
I feel that long-term this is more beneficial to their parents ideals than preparing a child for this century. The parents may dismiss modern day society but appear prepared to dip in and out of it to suit their needs. Obviously I do not know the full history but if they appeared on TV programme this appears to be a prostitution of their beliefs by being sucked into the media. Do they indeed have a TV? As for money - it is suggested that they do not earn - how is this measuring up to their hunter gathering beliefs? I f neither parent "gathers" (ie earns,) how could such a society flourish? In such a society they would wither unless they played their part for the general good of others.

Too may unknowns to be overly judgemental ( so-rr-eee, had the judgemental thread a few days ago) but personally think they are doing their children a grave disservice in todays word.
Not convinced from what I have read.

Dharmacat Tue 30-Aug-16 19:11:13

Should have been " today's world".

SueDonim Tue 30-Aug-16 19:23:57

I found an article on the Guardian about them. They've so far raised £255 towards their move to Costa Rica, where they will find that vaccinations for children are mandatory. grin

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/24/off-grid-parenting-david-bowie-bob-geldof