Gransnet forums

Chat

container homes

(33 Posts)
wherearemyglasses Tue 18-Oct-16 13:56:27

Hello everyone,

I wondered if anyone had any experience with making a home out of containers? I came across an article on it a little while ago and have seen various pictures of stunning (think grand designs) homes. Now that I'm a bit more comfortable financially, I'd like to upsize again (having downsized when I became a widow) and my mind keeps coming back to these container homes.... I'm quite adventurous and like the idea of something completely different and innovative. They're supposed to be cheaper as well. I don't suppose anyone has had any experience with them?

wherearemyglasses Tue 18-Oct-16 14:00:07

a picture for reference - very modern!!

jollyg Tue 18-Oct-16 15:02:22

Where are my glasses??????? Perhaps you have lost yours.

Agree that looks very modern and super, but cant quite get my head round a container.

Maybe the bog standard caravans of the 50s could qualify for the title. But they had wheels

PRINTMISS Tue 18-Oct-16 15:07:36

Yes, but you need to the find the ground first!

Shanma Tue 18-Oct-16 15:26:38

I can see that they may make very good homes, not the style which appeals to me though. I like older houses, cottage style, and cozy.
Other than that if I had pots and pots of money I would have a Castle with drawbridge, and the works, would still have it cozy inside though smile.

Jollyg You say you cannot get your head around a container, every dwelling is a container, it contains the people who live within it, and all their goods.

Ana Tue 18-Oct-16 15:33:14

Yes, but the OP refers to 'making a home out of containers'.

My immediate thought was cardboard boxes, but they wouldn't be very practical!

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 15:43:08

Ana, I too thought of cardboard boxes

chicken Tue 18-Oct-16 16:23:28

Shipping containers have been made into mes for students and the homeless and very nice they looktoo.ho . Wouldn'tmind living in one myself.

chicken Tue 18-Oct-16 16:27:09

Don't know what happened there and it wouldn't let me edit. "Homes","look too" and "Wouldn't mind".

ninathenana Tue 18-Oct-16 16:29:52

I've seen some amazing homes made from shipping containers. One of George Clark's programs showed a guy who made extra classrooms for a school from two. They won't rot like the old mobiles schools usually have.

NanaandGrampy Tue 18-Oct-16 17:32:51

Grand Designs had one done out of 2 cantilevered shipping containers. He was in Northern Ireland and I have to say he ended up with a very cost effective, beautiful modern home.

He owned the land so didn't have that cost.

I'd love to have a flat pack home built for me if I could find the right semi rural plot - so good luck wherearemyglasses what an adventure !

Wobblybits Tue 18-Oct-16 18:16:57

I think it was Ferrari that had there hospitality suite as several container like structure that all locked together to produce a huge 2 story building with bars, restaurant ect for F1 meetings.

Wobblybits Tue 18-Oct-16 18:31:39

Here are some pictures

NotTooOld Tue 18-Oct-16 20:37:27

Fabulous, Wobbly. I saw a TV prog once where a young couple made a home out of containers bolted together. They kept a spare one nearby so they could extend their home when the baby arrived. Sounds like a good idea if the OP can find a suitable plot of land.

Wobblybits Tue 18-Oct-16 20:42:42

I suspect the Ferrari system may have cost a little more than a dozen containers, each section came on a dedicated truck, the whole building was put together in a few hours.

grannypiper Tue 18-Oct-16 21:24:32

Fantastic idea

Welshwife Tue 18-Oct-16 21:42:29

Containers are now being used as rentable storage units - they cost about £10.000 each to buy. Many already a plywood floor. Lots of containers only do one trip before being scrapped!

kittylester Wed 19-Oct-16 07:24:37

I can't help thinking they would feel cold - even if they weren't!

NanaandGrampy Wed 19-Oct-16 09:20:09

This was the one I was thinking of www.pb-architects.com/completed-photos/

harrigran Wed 19-Oct-16 09:25:26

There are containers being used as offices in our town, they look fine and I imagine you can heat them as easily as any other building.

rubylady Wed 19-Oct-16 21:55:44

Have a look through some German designs, they tend to be with it where new ideas are. And then there was the pod idea, to have one pod for a room, I think that was on George Clarke too. It sounds an exciting enterprise, do something different, why not if you can. smile

DotMH1901 Thu 20-Oct-16 09:35:36

I would love to live in a Tiny Home - people are put off as many of the earlier designs included a loft bedroom with often just a ladder to access it but newer designs can include a ground floor bedroom, or a wall bed (one that folds away) or proper stairs to the loft room. They are really well insulated and I like the idea of being able to have solar panels for electricity too.

wherearemyglasses Thu 20-Oct-16 10:20:06

Nanaandgrampy, those pictures are wonderful - just the sort of thing I was looking for. I had no idea some had been built on grand designs, though thinking about it now, I suppose I should have expected it.

I like the idea of making something useful out of something that might have been scrapped.

wherearemyglasses Thu 20-Oct-16 10:22:35

i haven't heard of tiny homes Dot, but I'm off to do some investigation...

allsortsofbags Thu 20-Oct-16 13:02:35

Great idea. I'd love to have a go. After the Christchurch (New Zealand) earth quake they used shipping containers for some really wonderful purposes. If you are serious I'd be contacting Grand Designs or that George from the amazing spaces program to check out. They know about land, planning, getting and transporting things like that. I Admire you vision/dream.