Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a luxury cabin break for four

(488 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Feb-14 16:51:26

How do you feel about getting older? Whether it's a pet peeve or, equally, something you like, let us know (in no more than two sentences) and you could appear in a brand new novel.

Pan Macmillan publishers want to get a snapshot of real women’s feelings about ageing. A selection of these will be included in the new book The Time of our Lives by Sunday Times Top Ten Bestseller Maeve Haran.

You might remember Maeve as the author of 90’s smash hit Having It All, a novel that sparked huge debate about whether women could work and have a family, and much more besides. As well as being a brilliant read, her new book is about four friends in their early sixties, and the new issues they face, twenty years older than the protagonists of Having it All.

Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a draw to win one of 20 exclusive early reading copies of The Time of Their Lives, and everyone whose comments are used will be entered into a draw to win a luxury forest cabin break for four people – details HERE.

We also have an exclusive extract from the book which you can read here.

rosesarered Fri 14-Feb-14 16:56:00

I'm quite happy being older, as age brings a kind of wisdom if only knowing yourself and being a bit kinder to others.

Galen Fri 14-Feb-14 17:18:16

I'd be happy being older if it didn't hurt so much!

rockgran Fri 14-Feb-14 17:20:45

I quite like being older but my face in repose looks miserable ...so I just smile more. It's hard to smile and not feel happier. Try it!

rockgran Fri 14-Feb-14 17:21:58

OH dear - that was three sentences!

cathybee Fri 14-Feb-14 18:08:40

I remember my Father always mumbling to me, not to get old. "It is not nice getting old" he would say, which I found rather amusing, as there was no avoiding getting old, was there?.

As I now become older myself, I can see my features changing when I look in the mirror. It does scare me a little. At first I thought I could avoid looking in the mirror,'what the eye can no see, the heart can not grieve over' however, I soon realised that I had to look in the mirror, how else was I going to see what I was doing, whilst removing all the scattered facial hair!

No, there was no getting away with it, I was getting older and that was that. I had to deal with it. The good news for me, is that I do have good family genes, and we all do tend to age quite well.

After all is said and done, inside you are still the same person that you have always been, just older. The outside is different, but the inside is still the same and always will be.

joannapiano Fri 14-Feb-14 18:30:05

I was quite shy when I was younger.Now in my 60's,I smile and enjoy conversations with complete strangers at the bus stop and in shops.

Versavisa Fri 14-Feb-14 18:37:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ana Fri 14-Feb-14 18:49:14

rockgran, your post was only one sentence too many. The ones that have followed are positively garrulous in comparison! grin

Have you read the entry rules, ladies?

Ana Fri 14-Feb-14 18:50:23

(Only one now)

ninathenana Fri 14-Feb-14 18:51:01

Being older is fine between 9am and 10pm. Any earlier and my joints are too stiff to enjoy it. Any later and I'm too tired.

Gally Fri 14-Feb-14 18:57:44

I feel at the age of 65 that I have finally grown up, especially since J died and I have had to cope with so many unknowns. I intend to make the most of the rest of my life and grab every opportunity as it arises shock

matson Fri 14-Feb-14 19:41:22

I,m only old on the outside, inside I think I am roughly 25 ish !!!!!!!!!!!

shysal Fri 14-Feb-14 19:57:14

I'm too young to be this old!

Soutra Fri 14-Feb-14 20:00:44

Age is only a number isn't it? Wisdom, experience and knowing that life is a precious gift- these to me are the fruits of a road well-travelled.

Brendawymms Fri 14-Feb-14 20:02:56

Love yourself first whatever your age. Love others who find your life interesting.

grannyisland Fri 14-Feb-14 20:14:19

I love being old enough to be retired and choose what I do every day whether it be sitting lazily reading, some creative 'play' or even just a little 'work'.
My only wish is that I had a little more energy to pursue all the opportunities.

Grannyknot Fri 14-Feb-14 21:33:33

Getting older is a bit daunting; I find that I move differently, I'm not as agile as I used to be and then I think, "Oh, so that's what being 65 is like". And then I wonder how it feels to be 70!

LizG Fri 14-Feb-14 21:39:40

I feel 80, family still see me as 50 but birth certificate suggests 64. Need some fun!

whenim64 Fri 14-Feb-14 21:48:44

I'm nowhere near as old as my age if you start at the top of my head, where I am 25. I get older the further near the ground you get, ending with my 65 year old feet! grin

Flowerofthewest Fri 14-Feb-14 21:52:45

I love getting older, more confidence, more time. I love getting older as my total of grandchildren keeps on growing, like Topsy. I love getting older to still enjoy intimate moments with my gorgeous husband who I nearly lost 18 months ago.

durhamjen Fri 14-Feb-14 22:30:11

I've spent a lot of years being a carer. Now I'm old and ill enough to need a carer myself, I understand how my husband felt; shame he's not here to tell.

Aka Fri 14-Feb-14 22:42:21

I don't worry much about getting old. In some ways it's very liberating. I don't have to always try so hard any more, I feel I've earned the right just to be who I want to be, wear what I'm happy wearing and just chill.

I'm aware though that, as someone in their late 60s, I'm still in the fit and able zone, but at some time in the future (5? 10? 15? years) getting old will mean getting frailer, stiffness and some measure of disability. I'm choosing not to dwell on that just yet.

[head in sand emoticon]

POGS Fri 14-Feb-14 22:47:04

I don't mind getting older because I enjoyed myself so much and now I am happy enough to take life a little more steadily.

Once I was looked after, now I am the one looking after others. Once I was a taxi, now I am being taxied. Once I was young, pretty and healthy, now I take pleasure in watching the younger generation feeling the joy of youth.

Once I am unable to enjoy what time I have left I hope with all my heart somebody will be kind to me.

Ana Fri 14-Feb-14 22:56:09

"In no more than two sentences"!!! (sigh, that's my last word on the matter).