Gransnet forums

Contact the elderly

Tea party recipes

(53 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

contactteas Thu 13-Nov-14 15:30:56

We're thrilled that Gransnet has offered to host our forums for us and hope that we can support our wonderful tea party volunteers as well as perhaps welcome some new ones too!

Our tea parties are sometimes the only social interaction our older guests have in a whole month, for that reason we want to make them extra special.

To kick off can we ask: How do you think we can go that extra mile to make them special? A favourite recipe? A fun game? We'd love to hear your thoughts...

Starling Thu 13-Nov-14 22:30:54

I think it depends on the participants really. There isn't one size fits all.

kittylester Fri 14-Nov-14 08:54:29

And why ask us? confused

Soutra Fri 14-Nov-14 09:45:45

My thoughts exactly kittylester!

Iam64 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:59:40

Oh go off and google recipes and fun games, we're busy!

janeainsworth Fri 14-Nov-14 10:07:17

There was a blog recently
www.gransnet.com/forums/blogs/1211518-Tea-and-time
I see Contact the Elderly actually have their own forum on GN now.

Actually I think it is a very worthwhile thing and once I've recovered from my travels I might volunteer.

kittylester Fri 14-Nov-14 10:10:10

I think it's a really good thing too Jane - I just wondered why they asked us in particular.

Riverwalk Fri 14-Nov-14 10:20:13

It seems a bit mean to be so crabby towards an organisation that befriends lonely older people.

janeainsworth Fri 14-Nov-14 10:35:39

kitty Perhaps they've noticed the GN obsession with cupcake and brew
smile

rosequartz Fri 14-Nov-14 10:38:38

Perhaps they think we will be the guests at these tea parties and they would like to know what we'd like to eat, eg recipes we used to make?

whitewave Fri 14-Nov-14 10:40:08

My ambition is to go to a local hotel 5* and have afternoon tea, but diet always stops me.

GigiGransnet Fri 14-Nov-14 11:24:41

Hi everyone

Just a note to say we are now hosting forums for volunteers at Contact The Elderly as you can see. This topic is intended to be a place where those volunteers can chat about issues and upcoming events. But equally we hope they will find the wider forums useful and supportive.

It would be wonderful to make them all welcome and feel included smile

Thanks and have a lovely Friday x

Soutra Fri 14-Nov-14 14:07:40

Sorry if I contributed to a "crabby" respobse blush. The word "elderly" just did not chime happily with me this morning! Grovel, grovel.[smile|

kittylester Fri 14-Nov-14 14:10:28

Me too Soutra - sorry, crabby, elderly and chime! Not prepared to grovel though as I am not in a good mood and I felt slightly patronised. wine

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 14:13:14

Werll, I would say cake, cake and more cake. Buttercream filling essential. And pretty pink icing. You don't need games.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 14:13:28

And chocolate biscuits.

kittylester Fri 14-Nov-14 14:13:45

I would just point out that I am generally very helpful and kind and now I'm beginning to sound like jings again.

Gigi, it might have been a good idea to tell us that was what was happening then we would have been more polite! You told us when we were being invaded visited by MN.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 14:14:13

And crisps.

And jelly.

Dome fine. Where is my invite? smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 14:14:30

do me. not dome. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 14:15:49

I can't believe some of the earlier posts on this thread!

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 14-Nov-14 14:27:45

kittylester

I would just point out that I am generally very helpful and kind and now I'm beginning to sound like jings again.

Gigi, it might have been a good idea to tell us that was what was happening then we would have been more polite! You told us when we were being invaded visited by MN.

Hi Kitty (that's my favourite girl's name by the way!) Unfortunately, what happened here was that we were trialling a shiny new system for co-branding on the forums. And, because it was the first one, we weren't sure entirely when it would be up and running. blush

Happily there was no harm done.

And ditto the crisps and jelly...sounds yummy!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 14:30:48

"now I'm beginning to sound like jings again"

Pardon? confused

Agus Fri 14-Nov-14 14:32:06

I'm sure a selection of sandwiches, scones, cakes, biscuits would suit everyone. It would me grin. If you go down the road of a 5* afternoon tea that would include champagne!!

Cards, board games? Good luck with your events.

kittylester Fri 14-Nov-14 14:33:54

Oh flipping heck - I'm going before I offend anyone else. grin

I agreed with you on another thread and then I posted what seemed to me to be a nice 'jings' type thread!! flowers

Elegran Fri 14-Nov-14 14:52:08

I am not sure there is any one answer to the original question, because everyone is different. Some people love playing games, some don't. Are they the same people coming back for repeat visits? If they are, why not ask them what they particularly liked about the visit, and whether there is anything that would have made it better?

I would imagine that the one thing they would all agree on as an essential is the chance for a good chat, to each other and to the organisers.

(By the way - please excuse the rather unfriendly sound of a few of the posts. We are not usually as sharp, honestly, but we do get rather protective of our gossip patch, and the arrival of Contact The Elderly was bit sudden.)