Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them

(20 Posts)
thatbags Tue 14-Jun-16 16:50:17

Minibags wants to go to the première of the new Harry Potter film, Fantastic Beasts, in London in November. She's telling me you have to be queueing at the film site the day before (!) and camp out overnight (!!). This on top of the logistics of travel from Scotland, where to sleep in a bed occasionally and so on. She will be just sixteen by then.

I am not liking this idea but she is going to pester me to death about it. HELP!!

GandTea Tue 14-Jun-16 17:05:51

What a worry for you, I can remember similar instances with our own Son & Daughter. The nearest we had was my son wanting to go to apunk concert at Brixton Academy, the very name Brixton frightened me, then I found that they only had about 15 minutes after the concert to catch the last train that could get the connections to get them home. Myself and his friends father drove them there and bought them home, got home about 3am.
Sorry, this doesn't help you at all. Is there not someone you know they could stay with? Are there several of them?

tanith Tue 14-Jun-16 17:13:25

Sorry I posted on the other thread all I can find is this which is no help at all..

www.thevipconcierge.com/vipevents/621/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-movie-premiere-after-party-vip-tickets.aspx?keyword=%2Bfantastic%20%2Bbeasts%20%2Bpremier&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1v66BRCV-6rh6s-Biu8BEiQAelpui3x9KSo3D0wkbpJGC6ezStpXvkOo_4vc46SrcPlH0pkaAreo8P8HAQ

thatbags Tue 14-Jun-16 17:26:01

So far only Minibags from here though she's talking about a friend she's met online who she "knows isn't a stalker"!!!!!!!!!

Riverwalk Tue 14-Jun-16 17:30:20

I can't imagine there will be any tickets left for sale on the day so I don't understand the going the night before bit!

Or does she want to be part of the crowd outside watching the red carpet arrivals?

I expect you'll have to be on alert and ready to pounce when the tickets go on sale on-line and hope to be lucky before the ticket agencies grab them all.

Ask her to please elaborate!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Jun-16 17:33:44

Do ordinary people get to go to premieres? Does she just mean seeing the stars on the red carpet?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Jun-16 17:34:47

Sorry. That was as Riverwalk said.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Jun-16 17:37:14

You wouldn't let her do it on her own would you? You would have to go with her.

Riverwalk Tue 14-Jun-16 17:46:20

Tanith that link is for Los Angeles - you'll be giving mini-bags ideas! grin

tanith Tue 14-Jun-16 17:49:09

Riverwalk thats why I said it was 'no use at all'. wink

GandTea Tue 14-Jun-16 17:59:59

OMG

thatbags Tue 14-Jun-16 18:01:18

No, I wouldn't let her do it on her own. And I shudder at the thought of "camping out" overnight in November!! Toilets? Food and drink? Keeping warm and dry? The idea's bonkers.

thatbags Tue 14-Jun-16 18:10:01

DD2 thought a parachute jump was something she shouldn't tell me about till afterwards but that's nothing compared to this for terrifying the shit out of me. Besides, DD2 was already and adult when she did it.

annsixty Tue 14-Jun-16 18:18:29

My GD aged 17 went with 3 friend to Parklife I Manchester on Sunday. I sent her numerous texts about safety until I think she was annoyed with me. They were being picked up by the brother of one of the girls but it took them ages to get out of the venue and then to the meeting point and they got home at 1:30 am.
I was very relieved to get a text on Monday am.
London at 16 in November would be a step too far unless a sensible adult was going as well. I would be off my head with worry all the time but she wouldn't believe that, they are very sure of themselves at that age .

janeainsworth Tue 14-Jun-16 19:55:45

The short answer is 'No'.
The slightly longer answer is 'Don't even think about it'.
I realise that's not entirely helpful grin
Good luck with that, Bags grin

rosesarered Tue 14-Jun-16 20:04:18

I would say no as well, too young on her own in a strange ( sometimes very strange) big city.

FarNorth Tue 14-Jun-16 20:21:50

And with a non-stalker she met on the internet? No Chance!!

ffinnochio Tue 14-Jun-16 20:33:17

As janeain says, unless there is a very responsible adult that can accompany her.

I know there's probably a very slim chance of this, but would bribery work to change mini's mind ? I suspect it would have to be substantial!

ffinnochio Tue 14-Jun-16 20:41:16

OR ... Insist on going with her, book a hotel, and insists that she sticks to you like glue, with or without friend.
An expensive option. Perhaps she could start saving now!

Jalima Tue 14-Jun-16 20:56:40

Mine have done some hair-raising things, probably not until they were 18+ on gap years and they didn't tell me until afterwards.

I would say No! and not with someone she met on the internet even if they 'are not a stalker honest'.
Do you know anyone in London whom you trust she could go and stay with and go with?

Aren't premieres invitation only? DD went to one (overseas) and was able to take DGS but it was by invitation.