Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Monday 27th October weigh in.

(28 Posts)
glassortwo Mon 27-Oct-14 08:15:23

Well here we go lets see what we can lose for Christmas smile

Jenty61 Mon 27-Oct-14 12:55:28

I could never understand why people want to lose weight for xmas to put it all back on....

glassortwo Mon 27-Oct-14 15:43:59

Jenty some people like to have a goal to work towards and Christmas is an excellent way of focusing yourself.
If we do gain a few pounds over the festive season then its not so big a catastrophe.
Eating healthy means you can have some treats along the way and as Christmas is one of the few times a year when people are surrounded by temptation, we find to do something now is damage limitation.

Marelli Mon 27-Oct-14 16:07:39

I've stayed the same this week - but think it's too much bread (and also the fact I've been eating DH's chocolate 'Misfits' blush! He wasn't too chuffed, either.....hmm Must try harder....

glassortwo Mon 27-Oct-14 19:19:44

marelli hope you didnt eat the last one grin

Marelli Mon 27-Oct-14 19:23:12

I did eat the last one....it was all broken, y'see wink!

glassortwo Mon 27-Oct-14 19:32:05

Well you saved him that torture, he should be grateful grin

Marelli Mon 27-Oct-14 20:05:00

grin

Tegan Mon 27-Oct-14 20:31:40

I've slipped back into eating bread again sad. I'm still spring cleaning and I just have to stop every so often for a cuppa and a snack. I'd like to say I can see an end to it but the more I'm just up to my neck in rubbish [and now the tiles have fallen of the back of a washstand that I was polishing, so it's one step foreward and two steps back. At least there's no chocolate in the house.

Marelli Tue 28-Oct-14 10:04:34

Tegan, I know where you're coming from with this. I've been keeping my calorie intake to around 1200 for the last 3 months or so, and have lost 9lb. I'm starting to waver a bit now, though, and have found myself not being so strict. I know what I'm doing wrong, just like you do with the bread. I've been using the myfitnesspal site and it's worked fine. I've not been exercising madly, just logging the walks I've done and that tells me the calories I've used up (the trick is not to go and eat those calories....wink) I've not really felt hungry doing it this way, so there's no excuse for my wavering (BAD Marelli)!

Tegan Tue 28-Oct-14 10:13:41

It's SO easy for those hard fought for pounds to slip back on again, isn't it sad.

glassortwo Tue 28-Oct-14 10:22:52

tegan I think when you are cleaning in the house the temptation to have a sandwich is an easy option, I do it all the time and bread is my downfall. Have you a slow cooker... if so you could load it first thing in the morning and then when you have had a full day of sorting your dinner is ready and waiting, did you know you can also do baked potatoes in the slow cooker along with other items?

Yes those pounds slip on very easy dont they.
marelli you have done fantastic this year, but dont let it slip eating any more of DH chocies even if your doing him a favour eating the misfit ones wink

Tegan Tue 28-Oct-14 10:44:22

I've just bought a new slow cooker; I didn't know you could do baked potatoes in them.

Marelli Tue 28-Oct-14 16:49:35

How can you do a baked potato in with the other stuff in your slow cooker, though, glass - wouldn't it go all soggy? confused

glassortwo Tue 28-Oct-14 21:46:20

No you put potato in foil on top of what your cooking. You can also cook foil packets with layered meat and whatever filling sandwiched between really lovely.

Marelli Wed 29-Oct-14 16:24:54

I never thought of doing that, glass. What sort of thing would you suggest for the layered meat thingy?

glassortwo Wed 29-Oct-14 20:57:29

marelli you can do anything, how about pork steaks with apple. Pork and Leek. Pork and black pudding. Chicken with ham and cheese. Chicken with garlic butter. Beef with mustard onions. Gammon and pineapple.

Oh its endless, you can just throw together any meat with whatever you like with it you can even make triple layers, try adding sliced potato along with the parcel and its a ready meal in a packet. Just experiment so things might not marry as well as others but have fun trying.

glassortwo Wed 29-Oct-14 20:59:02

Here is a recipe for overnight porridge in the slow cooker, its a slimming world recipe so just ignore the Healthy B etc.
Sw overnight porridge

(140g) rolled oats ( Healthy extra b choice)
(700ml) water
1 pinch salt
milk from Healthy extra A choice
sweetener serves 4

METHOD

1.Just before going to bed combine the oats and water in a slow cooker. Set on Low, cover and let cook overnight. In the morning, stir in the salt and milk. Scoop into bowls and sprinke sweetener over the top.

PER SERVING FOR 4
healthy extra B choice
milk from your healthy extra A allowance.

glassortwo Wed 29-Oct-14 21:00:47

Slow cooker soup
Leek and potato

The leek and potato soup, a chopped onion, chopped leek, a couple of chopped carrots and a couple of chopped potatoes. Put them all in the sc with 2 vegetable stock cubes, some black pepper and some lazy garlic. Didn't add salt because the stock cubes are quite salty themselves. Covered the veg with water, just up to the top of the veg and cooked on high for about 4 ish hours. Blitzed it with a hand blender when it was done.

glassortwo Wed 29-Oct-14 21:06:02

If there are any Slow cooker recipes you fancy let me know and I will have a look.

Marelli Thu 30-Oct-14 15:12:16

I just never thought of doing that with the layers, glass! I'll give it a go, for sure. I've made lentil soup in the slow cooker and it did turn out well - so did the rice pudding...too well, actually blush. I was delicious and I ate the majority of it, if I remember grin!

Marelli Thu 30-Oct-14 15:13:39

Oops - it was the rice pudding that was delicious, not me confused!!

glassortwo Thu 30-Oct-14 22:40:03

grin marelli

I have had pizza topped chicken and roasted veg for tea it was gorgeous.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 31-Oct-14 10:31:00

I have put on 2 lbs in 5 days! How did that happen?! Flippin' holidays! Was doing so well over the summer. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 31-Oct-14 10:32:50

Glass! You've been on hol. How much did you put on? Come on - Spill the beans!