Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb support thread 2016 Part 2

(827 Posts)
Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 11:31:57

The thread is intended to support people who are already on the diet or want to start losing weight / gaining health benefits by low-carbing.
Here is a simple explanation of this way of eating and how it works.
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
You do not have to count calories, weigh anything, exercise furiously or feel hungry.
You do have to cut out sugar and sugar-substitutes and avoid starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta.
You need to eat lots of vegetables (especially those grown above ground) and protein which can be cheese, eggs, meat, fish etc. You can eat olive oil, butter and other natural fats. You can eat limited amounts of fruit, dark chocolate and some alcoholic drinks in moderation.
You need to avoid anything labelled low-fat and most processed food and drink.
Link to previous thread here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1222065-A-new-low-carb-support-thread-for-2016
Welcome aboard!

Mamie Sat 20-Aug-16 06:55:29

So village event day. Avoiding the tripe breakfast for helpers, chunks of cooked meat and soggy tinned vegetables followed by camembert (eaten in snatches whilst serving) for lunch and home for sea bass fillets with spinach and cream for dinner.

BBbevan Sat 20-Aug-16 08:42:07

Drizzly here today, so I hope you are having better weather Mamie we are on a 16:8 fast , so nothing until lunchtime. Just going to do a bit of baying to take my mind off slight tummy rumbles. Have a good day all

BBbevan Sat 20-Aug-16 08:42:45

Ebaying not baying

Mamie Sat 20-Aug-16 08:47:43

Ye, sunny, breezy and about 22°. Much better than when it is baking and you are trying to serve 120 people under canvas!

Mamie Mon 22-Aug-16 15:13:01

How is everyone doing?
How are you feeling Anya?
Did a nice salad for lunch today, artichoke, cherry tomatoes, beetroot, salad leaves (all from the garden), avocado, ham, pistachio nuts and a small white peach,
It is heading past 30° so chicken salad tonight.

BBbevan Mon 22-Aug-16 18:34:42

We are fine, and I hope you all are too. We are in the midst of packing up the house for our move to Wales. No moving date yet though. Before that we are going on a cruise to Norway. So I shall have to watch the diet carefully.

We are supposed to have temperatures of 29 tomorrow so I shall probably be indoors
Hope Anya is feeling a little less sore..

Izabella Mon 22-Aug-16 19:31:50

Ooooops been away but still here!! Fell off the wagon once with a Devon Cream team which I just could not resist. Repeat hb1ac next week. hmm

Izabella Mon 22-Aug-16 19:36:00

Oh and I ordered a spiralizer today from Amazon. When we got home the allotment was groaning with courgettes among other things.

BBbevan Mon 22-Aug-16 19:38:45

Good luck with that Izabella hope it is nice and low. I managed to get mine down from 7.6 to 5.7 on this LCHF diet in 5 months

Tizliz Mon 22-Aug-16 22:41:00

We have visitors and so went out to lunch today. We are in north Scotland and it is Momday but managed to find a pub restaurant open. Menu started with macaroni and chips, lasagna and chips etc but there were 'Aberdeen Angus burgers' so I asked it they came with salad, and she said yes, OK we ordered those. I think she must come from Glasgow as we got chips ? For those who don't know a Glasweign salad is chips - they were nice though.

Anya Tue 23-Aug-16 07:28:36

Thanks for thinking of me mamie and BB

To be honest I've had a few really rough days but things are starting to settle down a bit. I suppose it's only two weeks tomorrow since the fall so I need to be realistic. Couldn't eat yesterday then last night had a craving for a pink mini-magnum (I don't much like ice cream) and saited cashew nuts.

Gave in to both (after sending DH out hunting) and slept much better last night and woke up feeling almost human.

I've pretty well stuck to low carb, quite easy as not much of an appetite, and it's day 89/100 no alcohol.

BBbevan Tue 23-Aug-16 07:58:42

Ooh! Only 11 days to go. Well done Anya What will you do then.?

Anya Tue 23-Aug-16 08:21:45

Not sure BB but have definitely broken that 'end of day reach for the wine habit'.

I'm hoping I'll have far less alcohol, more alcohol free days and actually appreciate what I do drink.

BBbevan Tue 23-Aug-16 08:23:45

Get your DH to give you a pat on the back from me.flowers

Anya Tue 23-Aug-16 08:29:39

He's too heavy handed for that BB - when he's drying my hair it's as if he's grooming the dog grin

BBbevan Tue 23-Aug-16 08:31:57

grin grin

Mamie Tue 23-Aug-16 11:49:53

Yes well done Anya. Champagne, I reckon. I love wine (nothing else), but stick pretty strictly to two small glasses, four days a week.
It is sooo hot today, 34°, just baking. We are busy harvesting crops. Not a great year, but loads of tomatoes, courges / courgettes and squashes. Apparently it has been a dreadful year for vegetable growers here and the cauliflower crop is a disaster. I think France imports far less than the UK, so hope we can get enough for all those cauliflower mashes.
Tonight we are having barbecued sausages and courgette agrodolce (cooked in a bit of oil with balsamic vinegar, pinenuts and raisins added at the end).

Izabella Wed 24-Aug-16 11:59:43

Has anyone tried freezing spiralizer courgette?

Izabella Wed 24-Aug-16 12:00:10

Spiralized.......

Auntieflo Wed 24-Aug-16 12:28:57

Cravings Anya, pregnant? Anyway, hope you are feeling OK in this heat, and that you soon mend

Mamie Wed 24-Aug-16 15:15:54

I haven't Izabella, but I fear it would go soggy.
We have another day of 34° here. We are having tuna steaks with mustard mayo, bean and tomato salad and four barbecued chips each.shock
I hope you haven't got this heatwave Anya. I have been hiding inside with shutters tightly shut and fan on since lunchtime.

Mamie Wed 24-Aug-16 15:17:06

Where did that number come from? I wrote shhhhh

Anya Thu 25-Aug-16 10:52:16

Yes, had another couple of bad days, but thank you all for asking. Seems better today.

Finding it very hard to eat, and I'd be interested if anyone knows how much a cast weighs?? I've lost 3Kg in two weeks, and that's not counting the weight of the cast. And I'm taking in plenty of fluids as yes, Mamie it's been very hot here too.

Poor DH is run ragged, trying to shop and cook and be a carer. Anyway enoigh moaning...my mouth was watering reading about tuna steaks with mustard mayo.

I'm thinking DH could just grill some rainbow trout on the BBQ for tonight.

ffinnochio Thu 25-Aug-16 11:26:09

Hope your arms continue to improve, Anya

I've spent the morning chopping onions, mushrooms, parsley and a spud or two for mushroom soup. Onions, green peppers, garlic, marjoram and tomatoes for a sauce to freeze for the future, and baking trays full of tomatoes are roasting in the oven. Beetroot are bubbling merrily.

It's still very hot here.

Lunch will be roasted toms, with goats cheese, sprinkled with olive oil and the tiny leaved basil, which has a robust flavour.

Mamie Thu 25-Aug-16 14:08:46

We are trying to get as much cropping, preparing and freezing as we can done at the moment. OH was going to make a huge minestrone for tonight but after a heavy morning gardening decided it was too hot. So we are having a courgette carbonara. It should be done with penne and I can't exactly do courgetti with it, can I? Would spiralized beetroot work?