Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

NHS diet plan

(23 Posts)
Strongcoffee12 Sat 08-Apr-23 14:29:58

Strongcoffee12
I put this post on the I’m a pear thread but think I’ll get more responses here

Hi everyone. Can someone tell me about the NHS weight loss plan please. Do you have accountability to anyone, as I think I need a bit of that.

I’ve done Weight Watchers and it worked for me at the time - although I’ve put it all back on again 5 years later. Slimming clubs have become expensive a bit too cult-like for me
I’ll be grateful for any advice and support to get me going on shifting this weight and sorting out my poor eating

Nandalot Sat 08-Apr-23 14:41:20

I was referred by my doctor for a 12 week Slimming World course. ( I think other clubs are available).

Primrose53 Sat 08-Apr-23 15:11:00

As Nandalot says, the NHS are referring people to Slimming World groups for free. I have tried SW and just about all my friends have over the years but I can’t think of any of them who lost weight and didn’t put it on again.

M0nica Sat 08-Apr-23 15:30:18

The fact that you lost weight by going to Slimming World, shows that it works. That you put the weight back on again is entirely your own responsibility.

The club obviously had an eating plan that works and you were happy with it, and given that you put weight on first place because you were eating too much or the wrong things, once you lose weight, that weight is only going to stay off if you continue to eat according to the plan. The weight goes back on, because you revert to your previous eating pattern - and that is entirely your responsibility.

I have never done Slimming World, although I buy the magazine for the recipes. However I did lose 2 stone nearly 10 years ago and it has remained off because I changed my eating pattern and kept up my exercise routine, and if a few pounds do creep on. I go back on my weight loss routine for acouple of weeks until I am back on target. now that rarely happens because my changed eating pattern is now instinctive and I notice if I am beginning to eat too much, and stop it.

mumofmadboys Sat 08-Apr-23 16:34:12

Strongcoffee- have you got accurate scales at home? Weigh yourself once or twice a week and put wt on wall chart. Ask DH or friend to support you or diet with a friend. Eat less and move more! No banned foods. If you find you aren't losing ,cut back more and exercise more. We all know which foods are healthier. Good luck!

Strongcoffee12 Sat 08-Apr-23 16:34:22

MOnica it was weightwatchers I went to, not SW

V3ra Sat 08-Apr-23 16:47:37

Strongcoffee12

MOnica it was weightwatchers I went to, not SW

In that case it might be worth trying Slimming World. Their method is that you can eat as much as you like of what they term "free foods," no calorie counting as such.

My husband had a free 12 week course via his GP. He carried on afterwards as he realised it suits him and it works.
He likes the support and camaraderie of the weekly meetings.

Since July 2021 he has lost 6 stone with a bit more to go.
He eats loads and doesn't feel hungry.

M0nica Sat 08-Apr-23 19:11:25

Sorry, other people referred to Slimming World, so it was a slip of the pen. But surely it is the same difference. A group that offers an enjoyable eating pattern that enables you to lose weight and, usually a way forward to an eating pattern that keeps your weight steady. Any decision you then make to return to a previous weight gaining eating pattern is entirely your responsibility, not the slimming clubs and you must look into yourself to decide why this happens.

Primrose53 Sat 08-Apr-23 19:32:11

M0nica

The fact that you lost weight by going to Slimming World, shows that it works. That you put the weight back on again is entirely your own responsibility.

The club obviously had an eating plan that works and you were happy with it, and given that you put weight on first place because you were eating too much or the wrong things, once you lose weight, that weight is only going to stay off if you continue to eat according to the plan. The weight goes back on, because you revert to your previous eating pattern - and that is entirely your responsibility.

I have never done Slimming World, although I buy the magazine for the recipes. However I did lose 2 stone nearly 10 years ago and it has remained off because I changed my eating pattern and kept up my exercise routine, and if a few pounds do creep on. I go back on my weight loss routine for acouple of weeks until I am back on target. now that rarely happens because my changed eating pattern is now instinctive and I notice if I am beginning to eat too much, and stop it.

I didn’t actually say “I” had lost weight and gained it again. You are reading stuff into my post that isn’t there.

Blondiescot Sat 08-Apr-23 19:44:21

The problem I found with Slimming World is that they are very pushy when it comes to their own products - ready meals, bars etc, which are all very highly processed and full of stuff which actually isn't all that good for you. The 'free' foods concept is pretty flawed too, when you break it down. The final straw for me was when I asked why a whole banana was 'free', yet if I mashed it, I had to count the 'syns'. It's the same banana - whole or mashed! The group organiser couldn't answer that one.

Primrose53 Sat 08-Apr-23 20:15:55

Blondiescot

The problem I found with Slimming World is that they are very pushy when it comes to their own products - ready meals, bars etc, which are all very highly processed and full of stuff which actually isn't all that good for you. The 'free' foods concept is pretty flawed too, when you break it down. The final straw for me was when I asked why a whole banana was 'free', yet if I mashed it, I had to count the 'syns'. It's the same banana - whole or mashed! The group organiser couldn't answer that one.

What I didn’t like was the way they encourage you to overeat with all the “free food”. Like chicken, the consultant said if you remove the skin you can eat the whole chicken as it’s free. Who would want to eat a whole chicken? They used to say we were to absolutely fill the free food section on the food diary and if we didn’t we weren’t eating enough.

I also hated the sitting around after weigh in where they go round the whole group and clap like seals! i was not alone, because there was usually a rush to get out after being weighed but SW insist they do it.

I have literally just finished reading Margaret Miles-Bramwell autobiography. She founded SW. as I looked through the photos it occurred to me that no way could she be described as slim. She can afford to buy very expensive tailored clothes so always looks good but she is not slim. Also the book did not mention her own weight loss/gain or anything about how she ate at home or recipes etc.

Deedaa Sat 08-Apr-23 20:24:25

My GP referred me to the local sports centre about 12 years ago and a dietician there gave me a diet booklet which was quite useful. It just set things out as so many sausages or so many slices of ham or cheese. If I stuck to it I lost weight quite easily. Now I just try to make sure I don't put on any extra weight.

aonk Sat 08-Apr-23 22:07:07

Last year my DH managed to lose well over a stone using the NHS calorie counting app. This is free and you simply record everything you eat. It made him think carefully about types and quantities of food. It worked for him but diet and weight loss are personal matters.

BigBertha1 Sat 08-Apr-23 22:29:18

We are doing the MGS 12 week plan via the free app. Basically it is a calorie controlled diet. It works for us although like most people I under estimate what I have eaten and have read not lost a few pounds in as many weeks. Family events and Easter have detailed me but I will get back on soon.

mamaa Sat 08-Apr-23 22:33:12

I’ve lost 2 stone in 12 months using the NHS app. Admittedly I’ve now plateaud- typical as I’ve got my annual review at the drs, in 2 weeks, 1 week after my forthcoming holiday!
Still it’s better than nothing and was very easily to use and fill in every day.

V3ra Sun 09-Apr-23 01:38:54

The problem I found with Slimming World is that they are very pushy when it comes to their own products - ready meals, bars etc, which are all very highly processed and full of stuff which actually isn't all that good for you.

My husband hasn't found this and doesn't eat any of these things.

He eats a lot of lean meat, mainly chicken; fish, eg salmon and tuna; eggs.
Loads of pulses, vegetables, salad and fruit.
A small amount of dairy, plenty of wholegrain carbohydrates eg pasta and rice.

He's gone from over 20 stones to just over 14 stones.
His cholesterol levels and blood pressure readings are low.

He looks and feels better. It's a lifestyle choice and works well for him, and it's something he'll continue.

It's cost us a fortune in new clothes for him 😅

Notsoold27 Sun 09-Apr-23 07:00:43

I think I’d rather spend some money on new clothes than be hampered by all that extra weight. Well done to your husband.

ParlorGames Sun 09-Apr-23 07:14:58

I joined Slimming World a few years ago as my neighbour raved about it but to be honest I found the organiser rather condescending and I didn't like the 'round robin' when everyone talked about what a rubbish/fabulous week they'd had.

My theory on losing weight is eat less and move more, be as active as possible - not always easy with age related aches and pains I know - and don't buy the food items that I know will pile on the pounds .

NanaDana Sun 09-Apr-23 07:19:53

I joined SW two years ago, as I had many weight-related health issues. Type 2 diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol, swollen ankles, sleep apnoea, chronic fatigue - life had become rather miserable. I have lost 8 stone 2 pounds over 2 years, and ALL those health issues are now resolved. I have found the SW diet very easy to follow, requiring a total change in eating habits, but never leaving me feeling hungry, unlike other schemes I've tried.

M0nica Sun 09-Apr-23 07:28:27

Every diet essentially consists of eating less and moving more, it is just a question of finding which method of eating less and exercising more best suits you. For some it is through slimming groups, for others it is one of the many different diet patterns available.

I did it using Michael Mosely's 5:2 diet. It suited me then - and I have continued it in a milder maintenance form in the 10 years since i first used it. Other people have loathed this diet plan.

However whatever eating pattern you use to lose weight, it is all absolutely wasted if you do not put a lot of thought into planning your eating pattern after you have lost weight.

It stands to reason that if a particular eating pattern led to you putting the weight on in the first place, then returning to it after weight loss will just lead to regaining all the weight you lost. If you can't be bothered to change your post diet eating pattern why bother to lose weight in the first place?

Riverwalk Sun 09-Apr-23 07:30:18

That's some weight loss!

You must feel great about resolving your many health issues which are so associated with obesity smile

Strongcoffee12 Sun 09-Apr-23 09:47:10

Thanks everyone - there’s lots to digest (excuse the pun😀)
MOnica I’ve your posts before and you seems to talk a lot of sense.
As we approach the summer and I can’t hide behind baggy clothing tues so much, and I get my birthday - I think to myself I have to do something about this excess two stone - it’s not me - it’s like a parasite feeding off me.
I’m trying to make my own plan that suits me

Strongcoffee12 Sun 09-Apr-23 09:47:40

Sorry I meant I’ve read your posts