Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

5K walking how long to complete?

(23 Posts)
Lollin Tue 13-Jun-23 16:55:01

I’ve been building up to walking every day and improving my speed. I feel I can’t possibly go any faster unless I trip over my own feet. It’s taking too long. It is putting me off because it takes up too much of my day.

Soupy Tue 13-Jun-23 17:02:44

I worked up to jogging 5K in about 40 mins but have since abandoned it because it was too time consuming. Walking it must take even longer!

Are you aiming for this for a particular reason or just to improve your fitness?

Norah Tue 13-Jun-23 17:03:28

We're approaching 80, walk pets 4x a day for their needs (upon waking, after meals, etc). Goal: 3K /hour or bit less time. Total daily 12-15K.

Age doesn't necessarily matter, nor do pets, just descriptive.

karmalady Tue 13-Jun-23 17:06:22

3 mph is brisk walking. 5k is 3.1 miles, probably around 2 hours, with sometimes strolling and sometimes faster

Greyduster Tue 13-Jun-23 17:17:15

Two miles an hour is a steady stroll - two hours should get you there easily I would have thought.

AreWeThereYet Tue 13-Jun-23 17:27:03

It's great you've been building up your walking. Why the need to go faster?

I read an article recently where someone was saying that she had made herself ill by straining everyday to complete 10000 steps. During lock down she had managed it easily, but now she's back at work and doing other things but she was still aiming for 10000 steps. Finally she realised that it was nonsense and had a rethink - she's cut back to 5000 steps every other day and some other form of exercise on her days 'off'. Maybe time to rethink your goals?

Lollin Tue 13-Jun-23 21:55:31

I find with walking I can just get set and go. No arriving on time to a class I’ve paid for classes or being unable to go regularly. So walking seemed good idea. I can lose myself in my surroundings. I try to include a walk up a hill on my route and the aim of walking faster is to try and exercise my heart muscles. I can only manage it in 2.5 hours if I really push myself but usually it takes me nearly 3 hours .

Callistemon21 Tue 13-Jun-23 22:51:42

Lollin it's very hot at the moment to be pushing yourself; any walking is good but perhaps ease off and go more slowly until it cools down.
3 hours is quite a chunk out of the day.

Maggiemaybe Tue 13-Jun-23 23:52:09

I’m doing the million steps challenge for Dementia UK, which is an average of 10700 steps per day over 3 months. I know many people do this many and more on a normal day but I don’t. smile It’s taking up a chunk of my day and as Callistemon says it’s too hot at the moment to be pushing yourself. So I’m getting a lot of my steps in by walking about while I watch something on TV - I’m not using up my free time then.

According to my MiFit watch I do 6000 steps in an hour, and I think that’s around 5k. I’m a fast walker though.

Maggiemaybe Wed 14-Jun-23 00:03:32

There are some excellent free walking for health videos on You Tube as well. If you find one that suits you it’d be better at the moment than walking in the heat.

mumofmadboys Wed 14-Jun-23 07:16:14

i have a step counter on my phone and aim to walk 6 miles a day. Usually two walks of 3 miles. My weight is slowly going down and I feel better for it

Riverwalk Wed 14-Jun-23 07:33:53

According to my phone app I do approx 7,500 steps in an hour and walk 3 miles.

Riverwalk Wed 14-Jun-23 07:44:01

I average 10,000 steps a day but yesterday was 15,000 - I don't have a target but an hour's walk outside each day is the minimum. I don't count indoor steps!

VioletSky Wed 14-Jun-23 07:44:07

You could listen to music or download an audible book to listen too while you do it?

Juliet27 Wed 14-Jun-23 07:51:40

If you have a long stride does it give the number of steps, and hence distance, as less than someone with small steps?

karmalady Wed 14-Jun-23 08:02:49

Callistemon21

Lollin it's very hot at the moment to be pushing yourself; any walking is good but perhaps ease off and go more slowly until it cools down.
3 hours is quite a chunk out of the day.

I 100% agree with this. I cycle because I cannot be bothered walking for a long period of time, so I cycle for an hour and come home sweaty after good aerobic exercise

I am doing nothing during this very hot weather. My body says not to and so I am like a sloth right now, no cycling nor fast walking nor pushing myself, pushing your body is not good for elder health in this weather, we are not adapted to it

Riverwalk Wed 14-Jun-23 08:04:47

Juliet27

If you have a long stride does it give the number of steps, and hence distance, as less than someone with small steps?

I'm short at 5'2" so my stride is likely to be shorter than a taller person.

My app shows that my stride is 25" - apps show the distance you have walked, regardless of your height.

Juliet27 Wed 14-Jun-23 08:30:15

Ah right…so it takes stride distance into account rather than just number of steps. Thanks Riverwalk

HeavenLeigh Wed 14-Jun-23 08:44:50

While I do go out walking every day I’m on immunosupressents steriods and have to be very careful in the heat because of this so as long as I do a bit of exercise that’s fine by me, I wear my appleIWatch but I’m not really that bothered how many steps miles I do at the moment in this heat, although when not hot I’m happy doing 5.000 each day

HeavenLeigh Wed 14-Jun-23 08:45:55

5,000 steps not miles 🤣🤣

Lollin Wed 14-Jun-23 09:05:10

Regarding the heat I agree so at present I get out very early to start but having to cut it short now so that’s what made me wonder why I can’t complete it any faster. riverwalk I’d be ecstatic with 10,000 steps in an hour! I’m 5’ so not tall either but not short. I hoped with progression it would stop taking me so long.

Callistemon21 Wed 14-Jun-23 11:03:38

HeavenLeigh

5,000 steps not miles 🤣🤣

And I would walk five thousand miles 🎶🎶🎶 😁

Riverwalk Wed 14-Jun-23 11:12:22

Lollin

Regarding the heat I agree so at present I get out very early to start but having to cut it short now so that’s what made me wonder why I can’t complete it any faster. riverwalk I’d be ecstatic with 10,000 steps in an hour! I’m 5’ so not tall either but not short. I hoped with progression it would stop taking me so long.

I don't do 10,000 steps an hour, I do 7,500.

On average over the past year, according to the App, I've done 10,000 daily, as some days I walk longer than an hour.