Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Does dark chocolate cause weight gain for you?

(11 Posts)
Dazy Sun 04-Feb-24 22:21:41

Looking at my blood test results I realised I'm edging dangerously close to prediabetes level.

Cutting down drastically on all carbs but wondered about dark chocolate. Is it a deception? I've got some choc drops and a handful feels really innocent, low sugar, 80% cocoa, but my sister eats it and can't shift the weight.

And a friend says dark chocolate causes more spikes On her glucose monitor than fruit.

Your experience please?
Thank you

DollyRocker Sun 04-Feb-24 22:56:54

Not sure about weight gain, dark chocolate gives me horrendous migraines so Ive cut it out.

TinSoldier Sun 04-Feb-24 23:15:42

If you compare the nutritional information for these two bars, Sainsbury's No Added Sugar and Green & Blacks Organic you can see that the fat and carbohydrate content is almost the same.

I'm not an expert (and don't have diabetes) but I'd say the carbs are coming from the milk content. These are simple carbs which would be digested and absorbed quickly causing blood glucose levels to spike.

100g of apple, which is an average size fruit has 14g of carbs, less than half the carb content of the chocolate bar. 100g of banana, that would be a smallish banana, has 23g still less than the chocolate bar.

OldFrill Sun 04-Feb-24 23:52:55

TinSoldier

If you compare the nutritional information for these two bars, Sainsbury's No Added Sugar and Green & Blacks Organic you can see that the fat and carbohydrate content is almost the same.

I'm not an expert (and don't have diabetes) but I'd say the carbs are coming from the milk content. These are simple carbs which would be digested and absorbed quickly causing blood glucose levels to spike.

100g of apple, which is an average size fruit has 14g of carbs, less than half the carb content of the chocolate bar. 100g of banana, that would be a smallish banana, has 23g still less than the chocolate bar.

I think G&B organic dark is vegan? Could be wrong as not sure which bar you are using for comparison, if so no dairy comparison.
Polyols are significant in low carb/low sugar diets (and can prevent sugar spikes), there are significant polyols in the Sainsbury's example above - it'll be artificial sugar. The G&B choc will have 'proper' (cane?) sugar. I think you can deduct the polyols in the Sainsbury's choc from the carbs which would make it less carbs than the fruit.

Slightly muddled explanation but best l can do this hour of night!

Anyway good luck Dazy

TurtleDove Mon 05-Feb-24 00:04:30

I have also gone on the low carb diet, only 10 carbs a day, I have cut out bread, cereal, pasta etc. etc. as they cause insulin spikes. I now live on different types of fish, carb free sausages (Heck ones), 1 carb Heck Burgers, omelettes, Kerrygold butter wish is from grass fed cows, Almond Milk and I make my own pancakes from Almond flour and eggs and put them in a frying pan with melted butter. I have never, ever felt as fit as I do now, I used to feel sluggish, couldn't sleep, always wanting to snack on biscuits, I was always hungry for anything with carbs in it, even jam on toast. Now, I have a cooked breakfast, bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms which I fry in the frying pan and I am never hungry at all, if I don't feel like a meal at tea time, I don't have one. I have lost weight as well. On You tube there are loads of videos about low carb cooking and the Keto diet which Slimming World in a similar fashion copy but they still alow you to have carbs which are no good for me at all.

JamesandJon33 Mon 05-Feb-24 07:22:55

I only eat over 70% dark chocolate. Two squares an evening. No effects whatsoever.

Cabbie21 Mon 05-Feb-24 08:23:58

My treat, once or twice a week, is two squares of dark chocolate with nuts. More nuts than chocolate. Not that unhealthy.

M0nica Mon 05-Feb-24 08:30:25

It is not what you eat but how much you eat of it in total.

sodapop Mon 05-Feb-24 09:06:45

Your self control is impressive Cabbie21 two squares a week, a mere mouthful smile

Dazy Mon 05-Feb-24 09:36:34

Thank you all for the insightful replies. I learn so much on gransnet smile
TurtleDove I'm inspired by your regime and to be honest , I've been meaning to go this way for a long time. Diabetes runs in my family.
The one thing that concerns me is that we've been led to believe that excess meat /animal products can lead to bowel disease and cancers etc... and consequently to go plant based.

Cabbie21 Mon 05-Feb-24 10:17:38

Thanks Sodapop, but I eat too much in general. Most of it is healthy but not all. I have brought my Hba1c numbers down this year which I am pleased about, though still in the pre-diabetic range, just.