Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Does anybody work out with kettlebells ?

(24 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 23-Mar-24 21:36:58

After going to the gym for six months and not really seeing any changes in my body, I have started to use kettlebells and I must say I enjoy using them. You don’t need much space and they are apparently a full body workout when you do a kettlebell swing..
Various weights are available

Willow11 Sat 23-Mar-24 21:59:55

Our grand niece started last year after the breakup of her marriage.
This year she came second in the British championship and has been selected to represent England.

Truffle43 Sat 23-Mar-24 22:10:13

Wow I m impressed with that.

Truffle43 Sat 23-Mar-24 22:11:36

My husband uses kettle bells and I struggle to lift some of them lol 😂 but he really enjoys the good work outs he gets.

grannyactivist Sun 24-Mar-24 00:19:26

Willow that’s a great achievement. 😊

Have you been spying on me Shinamae? 😂
This week I took delivery of my latest toys, two kettlebells @ 6 kilos and 8 kilos - and a 20k one for my husband. I have a trainer who comes in once a week to put me through my paces and we’re going to start using the kettlebells next week. My husband has been using them for a while, hence the huge weight he can manage. Our games room/‘gym’ is up three flights of stairs and I had to carry my new weights up one at a time - don’t think that bodes we’ll for me does it, 😱

Shinamae Sun 24-Mar-24 23:04:56

grannyactivist

Willow that’s a great achievement. 😊

Have you been spying on me Shinamae? 😂
This week I took delivery of my latest toys, two kettlebells @ 6 kilos and 8 kilos - and a 20k one for my husband. I have a trainer who comes in once a week to put me through my paces and we’re going to start using the kettlebells next week. My husband has been using them for a while, hence the huge weight he can manage. Our games room/‘gym’ is up three flights of stairs and I had to carry my new weights up one at a time - don’t think that bodes we’ll for me does it, 😱

At the moment, I’ve got a 4 kg,a 6 kg and an 8 kg and I am working out every other day, but online a lot of coaches say you could do kettlebell every day and then other people say do every other day so at the moment I’m sticking into every other day…
Keep me posted on your progress GA 😁

Shinamae Sun 24-Mar-24 23:05:33

Willow11

Our grand niece started last year after the breakup of her marriage.
This year she came second in the British championship and has been selected to represent England.

Very impressive 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Shinamae Mon 25-Mar-24 11:55:34

Plenty of tutorials on YouTube.
I have just done 50 kettlebell swings mind you it was only with a 6 kg weight but it sure got me out of breath and then I have done some exercises with some dumbbells as well. I think I am going to need to buy a bigger kettlebell before too long because I don’t think 8kg is going to be heavy enough
All in good time 😉

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-Mar-24 11:59:47

My daughter-in-law teaches kettlebells - she thinks they are "1st" choice for older women.

I keep thinking I should do them... hmm

Grannynannywanny Mon 25-Mar-24 12:08:21

I’m afraid I need to make more effort. I’m more familiar with the kettle than kettle bells 🫖 ☕️

Shinamae Mon 25-Mar-24 12:10:39

Grannynannywanny

I’m afraid I need to make more effort. I’m more familiar with the kettle than kettle bells 🫖 ☕️

😂😂😂😂

Shinamae Mon 25-Mar-24 12:11:19

NotSpaghetti

My daughter-in-law teaches kettlebells - she thinks they are "1st" choice for older women.

I keep thinking I should do them... hmm

You should! 😁

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-Mar-24 12:48:14

Oh Shinamae - I know 😩

Shinamae Mon 25-Mar-24 13:15:18

NotSpaghetti

Oh Shinamae - I know 😩

Get your daughter in law to just lend you a 4 kg kettle bell and she will show you how to do a basic swing and if you don’t do anything else that is still gonna be beneficial, for you…💐💐

Visgir1 Mon 25-Mar-24 13:34:52

I use weights at the gym with my Personal trainer, not Kettle bells they have them if I wanted to use but I'm under the PT supervision.
Weights are apprently the correct items to use as you get older.
I am surprised just how quickly my shape has changed and how fit I am now.
Worth a go, or if you have Gym membership perhaps add weights into your program.

Jewelle Mon 25-Mar-24 14:15:17

Yes I do, twice a week. I have a personal trainer who puts me through my paces, kettle bell swings, presses, etc etc. I do prefer weights to the usual aerobic exercises but it’s surprising how out of breath you can get with weights!

Gundy Thu 28-Mar-24 16:47:25

This is an excellent form of exercise! Any weight bearing workout is probably the best kind.

It does affect your entire body - even though you are using only your arms to lift - a good workout does encompass all postures while working with weights - standing, half bend-over, sitting, swinging, lying on your back, even on your side (one side at a time using one bell).

Start with lighter weights and gradually work up in size, this is important!) Go online for ideas and create your own routine. (Be careful if you have rotator cuff weakness or injury, but you can rehab back too with weights.)

Kiss those saggy underarm flaps goodbye! Hello good shoulders! You’ll be strong too.

Warbler Thu 28-Mar-24 18:23:28

******Don't .....whatever you do....try swinging the kettle.

CanadianGran Thu 28-Mar-24 18:32:23

Not kettle bells for me, but I'm on a routine with dumbells and starting to feel stronger. I do a workout 3 days a week, and yoga on the other days. Sundays off!

Gundy Fri 29-Mar-24 02:56:25

Sorry, ladies… I guess I didn’t know what kettle bells are. I thought it was some funky British term for dumbbells. That’s what I meant when I wrote. I’ll have to look into it.

Shinamae Sat 30-Mar-24 20:24:14

Gundy

Sorry, ladies… I guess I didn’t know what kettle bells are. I thought it was some funky British term for dumbbells. That’s what I meant when I wrote. I’ll have to look into it.

Gundy these are kettle bells. I now have four I have the 4 kg, 6 kg, 8 kg and my latest one is the 10 kg, but I’ve not been able to use them for four days because I have a cold quite a severe one and it’s recommended not to exercise too strenuously, if you have a cold and a kettlebell workout is strenuous but such good exercise 😁
By the way, I am 71

karmalady Sat 30-Mar-24 20:31:28

goblet squats, swings. It strengthens the core

grannyactivist Fri 05-Apr-24 02:00:27

I wasn’t well enough to do more than 40 minutes with my trainer this week, so haven’t started with my kettlebells yet. Not sure I’ll be well enough next week either, but he’s going to write up a plan for me for when I’m ready.

Shinamae Fri 05-Apr-24 10:15:18

I haven’t been able to work with kettlebell for over a week now because I’ve still got this damn cold but I’m doing quite a bit of walking and of course working in the care home I get quite a workout at my job 🤓