Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

YOGA

(22 Posts)
jshaw10209 Sat 13-Feb-16 13:30:26

I teach yoga in Derbyshire, I am 61. It is great for opening up the joints. Who practices yoga??

Bellanonna Sat 13-Feb-16 14:04:17

I used to practise yoga but found as I got older the joints just didn't open up.
I now do Pilates x2 weekly and can do things that I couldn't initially do. So I'm happy with that. Also I think some of the moves are bad for the knees, e,g, The Warrior. Others, too, names I can't remember. However for anyone who can still do it without pain I think yoga us an excellent practice.

Jayh Sat 13-Feb-16 17:02:52

I still do yoga and I don't think my practice has diminished too much with age. I am still quite supple but do wobble a bit on the balance poses. I am off to a yoga retreat in Majorca in September.
My teacher is very strict about adapting poses that cause anyone pain in backs or knees. She is of the opinion that anyone can benefit from yoga with a bit of adjustment using blocks, padding, belts, chairs etc.

Iam64 Sat 13-Feb-16 22:04:17

That's interesting jayh, I returned to yoga a couple of years ago and the teacher encourages us to make use of props as you describe. She also stresses the fact all bodies are different and if it hurts - don't do it. I have also start d Pilates and feel I benefit from both

Jayh Sat 13-Feb-16 22:35:39

Yes, that is what my teacher says too. How far we get into a pose depends on the length of our limbs, the shape of the pelvis, spine, muscle formation etc. We are all different. When I started yoga in the 70s it was very precise and technical. There was a right way and a wrong way to do it and that put people off.

Yane Mon 12-Sep-16 20:34:44

I practise kundalini yoga. I find hatha a bit static, need more dynamic exercises, meditation and pranayama. The more I practise the more asanas I can do although som of them are pretty difficult for me.

AnnieWood Mon 07-Nov-16 07:02:01

I practice YOGA on a regular basis and it makes me feel very free and light.

patrichardson Mon 07-Nov-16 10:31:13

I do yoga everyday in the morning. After doing yoga I feel very energetic and active.

LadyGracie Mon 07-Nov-16 11:30:55

I'd love to do yoga but was advised to do Pilates instead which I don't enjoy, the instructor preferred chatting

CathyAkins Fri 30-Dec-16 06:19:20

Hello everyone,
I would like to share my experience about Yoga, I have build my self confidence and gained a healthy physique just because of practicing yoga. It has changed my attitude towards life. I think everyone should do yoga for good health and fitness.

Teetime Fri 30-Dec-16 09:14:39

I used to do yoga some years ago and would like to take it up again. You will laugh at me now. The yoga classes in this town are held at the AGE UK day centre and I'm not ready to go there yet.

Anya Fri 30-Dec-16 09:21:17

Before I broke my arms I used to warm up my body every morning doing the Sun Salutation.

Liz46 Fri 30-Dec-16 09:53:28

Teetime, I went to yoga classes at Age UK and they were fine. A lovely Chinese lady was in charge but she left and I did not like the way the man who replaced her held the poses for a very long time.
I've had problems with my achilles tendon so had to give up for a while but am feeling a bit better and my friend has given me a link to a lesson on the internet so I may give that a try when this awful chest infection has gone.

cangran Fri 30-Dec-16 10:37:14

I did some yoga classes in my 20s/30s but never really did enough to get into a routine. I started a weekly Pilates class nearly 10 years ago (I'm 70) at a centre for over 50s (most of us are late 60s/early 70s and have been doing the class for years). I really enjoy it but want to do something a little extra on my own (I'm realistic - I won't do a long exercise session!).

I get a daily newsletter from SixtyandMe which is somewhat like Gransnet. Yesterday I received an offer for their yoga course aimed at older people and, as it was only $5, I ordered it (normally about $79). I've only listened to the introduction so far but intend to start the first of eight days sessions today. I'll include the url in case anyone else is interested. There didn't seem to be a deadline date for the discount offer:

sixtyandme.com/try-our-gentle-yoga-for-seniors-dvd-and-online-videos-holiday-offer/

If any of you do get it and try it out, it would be great to hear how we all get on with it.

Megram Fri 30-Dec-16 10:39:07

Since taking up yoga and pilates a few years ago, my stiff joints have really loosened up. Its a fantastic way to maintain health and fitness. Most of the "more mature" members of the population in countries such as China think nothing of exercising daily to keep supple. It's also a sociable activity and helps to keep the mind ticking over!

Cambia Mon 02-Jan-17 16:33:11

I have done Hatha Yoga for over thirty years and it is relaxing and gentle. We do a lot of meditation and our class is mostly older ladies. Over a year ago I also started Iyengar yoga with my husband. This is much harder and stricter! It has transformed my husbands posture and is quite challenging!

I definitely feel fairly flexible and am pretty sure that yoga is keeping me healthy in mind and body.

Izabella Tue 03-Jan-17 14:29:58

I know all the benefits and have many friends who benefit and I have a friend who is an advanced tutor. Personally I find it mind numbingly boring and I am slightly envious of those who enjoy it. I have tried Pilates again recently and enjoyed that but the teaching was superb and highly individualised.

Cambia Wed 04-Jan-17 11:11:35

Just started following 30 day yoga with Adrienne on you tube. Quite like this as she is good at guiding you when your head is upside down! Bit Americanny but can bear it!

Liz46 Wed 04-Jan-17 11:29:15

Cambia, I also signed up for this and sent details to my daughters in case they are interested. My eldest is doing it every day and enjoying it. I will start when I am over this dratted chest infection. Fifth day on anti-biotics and not much better.

Cambia Sun 08-Jan-17 07:21:52

Liz46 Hope you feel better soon x

RosarioDelee Wed 18-Jan-17 06:27:06

I do yoga every day in the morning. I feel energetic and fresh throughout the day.

Shirleyw Tue 22-Aug-17 04:46:49

I recently went to a yoga class at a nearby sports centre, it was too small a room with too many people and I couldn't see the instructor properly so was copying my neighbour, which is not a good idea....also no air conditioning so very hot and stuffy......i shall have to find another place which does yoga....