Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Reducing sugar intake

(223 Posts)
NanKate Sun 08-May-16 08:02:37

I am shortly going to have a rethink about my diet and cut back pretty drastically on sugar. I eat sensibly already and am only slightly overweight but realise there are many hidden sugars in what I eat.

Two questions. Can you recommend any BASIC books on diet and sugar, I am not a great cook and can't be bothered with fiddly recipes ?

Secondly suggest any low sugar to buy or bake that are low sugar ? I do like one biccy with my coffee or tea.

Anya Sun 08-May-16 08:22:01

NanKate have a look at the low carb thread on this forum.

Sugar is the most damaging of the carbs and probably the most addictive. Many of us are eating low carb these days, but if you feel you just want to cut out extrinsic sugars (added) and cut back on intrinsic ones (eg those found in fruit juices) then that's a great way to go.

Greyduster Sun 08-May-16 09:07:53

This is a timely thread for me, as I need to do the same thing. I'll watch it with interest.

hildajenniJ Sun 08-May-16 09:17:15

Me too greyduster. I have a few extra pounds that I would like to shed. I'm thinking of going on the 5:2 diet, as it seems the easiest to stick too. Reducing sugar intake would also help, if only I had enough will power!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 09:19:33

Rich tea are probably the lowest sugar biccies available.

I think it's a fact that our bodies do crave (need, even?) a bit of sweetness now and again. I can go for days sugar free, but then just have to have a.jam sarnie. The thing is not to overdo it. Moderation in everything.

merlotgran Sun 08-May-16 09:24:09

It's important to read lables. Many products advertised as 'low fat' are actually high in sugar.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 09:27:40

Surprising how soon you can get used to, and come to love, a bowl of porridge without sugar. Or golden syrup.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 09:29:29

I no longer have golden syrup in the house. Too "can't-stop-once-you-start"! shock

Sad about the treacle though. Sigh.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 09:29:58

treacle TART!

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 09:33:26

DH was diagnosed with high blood sugar levels earlier in the year. I cut out all sugar and carbs which is the same thing as far as the body chemicals are concerned(I think). Sounds difficult but we found it totally easy. So no sugar of any kind, no fruit with high sugar content, no bread potatoes rice flour etc. The result is that DHs blood sugar is now normal. We didn't lose a huge amount of weight just very gradually, but it has worked and the enormous bonus of avoiding type2 diabetise.

NanKate Sun 08-May-16 13:08:19

I will check out that thread Anya thanks.

I have been told that one of the side effects of steroids is raised glucose in the body and the chance of getting type 2 diabetes, hence my keenness to reduce my sugar and hopefully not become diabetic like my dad was.

I like a rich Tea biscuits Jing smile

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 13:11:00

That's exactly what my sister did after she was put into steroids nan worked for her, so go for it.

Anya Sun 08-May-16 14:08:47

You are correct WW that the body treats all carbs more or less the same.

You did well to jump straight in and cut right back. For those more faint-hearted, or who perhaps prefer to make a more gradual change cutting right back on sugars is a good first step.

GandTea Sun 08-May-16 14:14:37

I understood tat carbs provided a slow release sugar that could be used effectively over a period, whereas the purer natural and refined sugars can easily give an overload as the are quickly assimilated into the blood stream.

Anya Sun 08-May-16 14:20:45

It's not as simple as that. Sugars are carbs. Some other carbs release their sugars into the bloodstream very quickly indeed. But all carbs are easily digested and turned into sugars,

Anya Sun 08-May-16 14:27:28

As an example, white bread releases glucose into the blood very quickly indeed. But it might surprise some people to know that while wholemeal bread release it more slowly it still raises blood glucose levels more quickly than milk chocolate hmm

As I said, it's very complex.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 17:35:54

I have just had a nice piece of coffee and walnut cake out, with a cup of tea. Feel much better for it. shock

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 17:37:51

And then there was the rhubarb crumble with my dinner.

Tomorrow I will go added sugar free.

Don't believe in too much deprivation, unless it is for real medical reasons.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 17:39:21

Anya just how long have you spent studying all this?!

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 17:42:23

I'm with you jing but needs must, and I don't feel I can scoff all the good stuff whilst DH watches. Now if I go out with friends............

Nelliemoser Sun 08-May-16 17:46:28

It really is complicated when you start to think about the effects of the hidden sugars in carbohydrates in general. I don't really. I have a freund who is diabetic who has just been told asked to go on a course about understanding carbs in food.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 17:49:40

Yes. It's different if you are diabetic, or pre.

rubysong Sun 08-May-16 18:40:42

We don't use a lot of added sugar and I use Stevia when I can, which must make a difference. We do like our carbs though and cake when we are out and about.

Anya Sun 08-May-16 20:43:50

No one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do, simply offering encouragement to the OP and trying to correct misconceptions.
If some want to continue eating sugars that's up to them.

NanKate Sun 08-May-16 22:16:30

Thanks Whitewave I find your comment about your sister very encouraging.

Please continue Anya I need all the info on carbs I can get.

I want to meet the steroids head on and do my best not to succomb to all the side effects.