Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Ageing rates vary widely, says study

(77 Posts)
Elegran Tue 07-Jul-15 09:10:31

"The international research group followed 954 people from the same town in New Zealand who were all born in 1972-73. ( www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33409604 )
The scientists looked at 18 different ageing-related traits when the group turned 26, 32 and 38 years old.

The analysis showed that at the age of 38, the people's biological ages ranged from the late-20s to those who were nearly 60."

"Prof Moffitt told the BBC: "Any area of life where we currently use chronological age is faulty, if we knew more about biological age we could be more fair and egalitarian."

So we keep telling them, but employers don't seem to listen, neither do journalists and fashion students.

vampirequeen Tue 07-Jul-15 09:24:40

About time we were judged on who we are and not how old we are. Age brings experience but people don't seem to appreciate that.

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 09:26:40

How very true VQ, it's high time that people were judged ' at Interview' and not just written off so that they never get the interview .

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 09:48:52

I've just been reading that article too but my interest was from a science/ health point of view. Interesting how we all can see things from different angles. smile

Alea Tue 07-Jul-15 09:51:11

How do they explain how some days I feel 40 and some more like 80.

Or, indeed how inside can feel a whole different age from the exterior,?

Jane10 Tue 07-Jul-15 09:54:44

Sometimes you see someone who just looks much older than their chronological age. I usually think that maybe they've had a hard life but sounds like hard luck with their genes. Similarly there are strikingly young looking people. Interesting research.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 09:58:50

Nature v nurture, genes v lifestyle Jane

Leticia Tue 07-Jul-15 10:28:16

It just proves that age is just a number.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 10:34:47

Your chronological age and your biological age may be different numbers. Some individuals are years younger biologically than their chronological age but others are years older.
We didn't need a study to tell us the evidence of our eyes, but this does explain why.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 10:36:21

Look to your telemars grin

Nonnie Tue 07-Jul-15 10:59:44

I did that thing which was in the news a few weeks ago and was a lot younger than I really am! As a 'glass half full' person I am happy with that and continue to feel much younger which I think is all that matters. DH tends to be the opposite but I simply refuse to allow him to be 'old' and so does the rest of the family.

petallus Tue 07-Jul-15 11:04:50

I think the study was to do with purely physical determinants of ageing.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 11:07:25

Yes it is "petallus* but if you're physicality fit then perhaps you're more likely to feel good in yourself and vice versa ?

soontobe Tue 07-Jul-15 11:08:13

Two of my kids had their bone age measured when they were in primary school.Their bone age was 4 years minus their actual age. Which was good in their case, as it meant that they were going to grow to average height so we didnt need to consider growth hormones for them.

Alea Tue 07-Jul-15 11:14:55

Can you explain that soontobe?
Surely 4 years minus their actual age would be a minus quantity? confused

soontobe Tue 07-Jul-15 11:34:23

Primary school goes up to the age of 11.

Ana Tue 07-Jul-15 11:36:26

So their bones were four years older than their actual age? confused

Greenfinch Tue 07-Jul-15 11:38:41

Why might you have needed to consider growth hormones ? Was there a medical reason for this?

Alea Tue 07-Jul-15 11:40:44

4 minus 11 still gives a minus quantity! (-7 )

I take it you meant their actual age minus 4 years ?? confused

#youcantakethemathsteacheroutofschool

soontobe Tue 07-Jul-15 12:01:24

No Ana, 4 years younger.

Greenfinch, I dont want to go into much medical detail, but 3 of my kids were short. Very short.
It is on my side of the family to be very short until about 21, and even then to still grow.

Ana Tue 07-Jul-15 12:04:15

It might have been less confusing if you'd just said their bones were found to be four years younger than their actual age in the first place!

Greenfinch Tue 07-Jul-15 12:14:00

Sorry to be nosy soon.It was just that my friend had a very short daughter and it was due to the drugs she was taking for asthma. I did not mean to delve but it is the sort of thing I would ask my friends.

Alea Tue 07-Jul-15 12:14:32

And my comment? Don't I warrant a reply? sad sulk emoticon

soontobe Tue 07-Jul-15 12:22:38

Thats ok Greenfinch. I am just aware that I am talking about members of my family, not me, and I always consider the internet to be anything but private, so I bear in mind what they would want me to post.
2 of them, well actually all 3 are asthmatic to a degree, some worse than others. But in their case, although the asthma drugs play a part, it is more than that as it their height is very much genetic.
2 of them were born prematurely which wouldnt have helped.

Alea Tue 07-Jul-15 12:26:18

<sniff>