Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

10,000 steps a day

(34 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 30-Jul-14 12:24:42

According to health guidelines we are supposed to walk 10,000 steps a day +. I have just walked in and out of my local town about 1 and a half miles round trip, probably 2. Armed with a recently purchased pedometer I am trying to hit that goal, but even with 25 mins on the boring treadmill, I'm still falling short. I exceeded it for a couple of days recently when a visiting friend from Scotland wanted to do Kew Gardens and a couple of museums, but this is outside my daily routine.

Any GNs out there recording their daily steps? and if so do you hit the 10,000 mark?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 12:35:24

Yes (obsessed) been doing it since Jan. There is the odd day that I don't get to 10,000 for various reasons but most days I go over so it usually averages out over a week at 16,000 a day (which for me is 10 kilometres. Depends on your pace length etc)

But the only way I have been able to do this is changing my routine which is not always easy.

It's completely addictive though and I am on a mission to beat my PB. (saving a fortune in petrol and tube fares too)

MrsPickle Wed 30-Jul-14 12:43:14

Yes, me, too. I have a fitbit linked to My fitness Pal. Trouble is, it doesn't record cycling well. I have to attach it to my shoe!

Mamie Wed 30-Jul-14 12:58:13

All you have to do here is mow the lawn. Volunteers welcome....

TerriBull Wed 30-Jul-14 13:05:59

OMG! I'm a such a failure I'm going away now to write a 100 times "I must step it out more" and I'll do it whilst walking!

I'm going to have to take a leaf out of your book Cari and change my routine, I know my son saves quite a bit on tube fares, walking from Waterloo to Bloomsbury daily, but he's a bit of keep fit fanatic anyway.

I think I've become a bit sedentary over the past few years unfortunately.

chloe1984 Wed 30-Jul-14 13:37:42

Having been tracking my steps through an app on my phone. I walk every day and average at about 7000 on a ' normal' day. I find it very difficult to achieve 10000 however I do not carry my phone around indoors when I am doing chores up and down stairs etc. I think I need to put it in my pinny pocket like the lady in Bread.smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 14:07:52

Terri I had too if it helps. But now it's a joke among everyone who knows me that I walk everywhere (time permitting)

But some days it seems that it's so easy to do and others a slog.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 14:10:14

We should set up a step club on the forums. It definitely helps to have others encouraging and sharing. Would you like? If so I will do it asap

Aka Wed 30-Jul-14 14:15:13

Yes, good idea.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 14:17:30

Consider it done

Aka Wed 30-Jul-14 14:21:15

Slow down Cari I've not bought a pedometer yet. I'm on holiday in the north east and I don't think they sell things like that up here!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 14:30:09

Here you go - www.gransnet.com/forums/exercise/1209230-The-Gransnet-10-000-steps-a-day-club

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 15:04:19

I have a very fancy one (pedometer) that does all sorts of things and even after hours of pressing and reading and googling I can't work any of it out so it's used only as a rather expensive* step counter

*it was a gift from someone who had a spare fortunately

But no rush - the club is there whenever you are ready (obviously I am dictating this as I pace the office...)

Aka Wed 30-Jul-14 15:55:55

Just ordered my pedometer it will be awaiting me when I arrive home.

merlotgran Wed 30-Jul-14 15:58:46

Bugger Blow that for a game of tin soldiers. hmm

newist Wed 30-Jul-14 16:03:19

I have just ordered one £1.59, with free delivery, will it work???

Granny23 Wed 30-Jul-14 16:53:37

Just delivered 250 YES booklets that's 250 gates, drives, paths and stairs and all the bits in between, but don't have a step counter so I have no idea how many steps I took. I do know that I am absolutely knackered. Only saving grace is that the shoulder bag gets progressively lighter - I could hardly lift it at the start.

shysal Wed 30-Jul-14 17:07:04

I have had several cheap pedometers over the years, the type that clips to a waistband, and they were all rubbish. Being a bit obsessive by nature, I would count the steps of a walk in my head and compare. The pedometers all missed quite a few.
I now have a more expensive one which will work in a pocket or handbag on any axis. I don't use all the functions, but it does zero itself each night, and has a personal alarm in case you run (or walk) into any problem. These days I do 3 or 4 exercise classes a week, but on the other days I make sure that I walk at least 10,000 steps, usually about 1.5 hours worth.
www.amazon.co.uk/Tanita-PD724-3-Axes-Pedometer/dp/B00148ZF98/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1406735875&sr=8-15&keywords=pedometer

TerriBull Wed 30-Jul-14 17:35:39

Shysal, I've just looked at your link, my pedometer is of the rubbish variety, I like the look of this one and I like the idea that it will work in pocket or handbag, sounds good, may get one.

newist Wed 30-Jul-14 17:42:09

shysal I ordered my (very cheap one) from the same place, I thought I would just get a cheapy in case my new activity only lasts a day or 2. The one you have shown does look good.

Aka Wed 30-Jul-14 17:46:25

That's the one I've ordered Shysal - that could have been me you were talking about, counting steps and comparing grin

NanKate Wed 30-Jul-14 17:46:41

Chloe I too do about 7,000 and it's a bit of a struggle to get to 10,000, however when I started I was nearer 5,000 so things have improved. I suspect we are far less active than our mothers.

TerriBull Wed 30-Jul-14 17:48:48

NanKate, you sound like me.

Iam64 Wed 30-Jul-14 18:53:19

I got a pedometer some years ago, after I met up with a colleague who looked so much fitter and healthier. She said she'd done it by wearing a pedometer, and making sure she did 5000 steps.

I have a new one, but it's so complicated I took one look at the instructions and had to lie down in a darkened room. I read the US say 10,000 a day, and found that a bit of a challenge, unless I did a 5 mile dog walk each day.
I have foot problems currently, the physio demands I cut my walking down. I'm finding it a bit of a challenge not to feel sorry for myself, because walking is the only exercise I can do these days. Then, I think on, remind myself how many people are in a much worse position than me, and tell myself if I follow the exercises, rest the foot, etc, 6 weeks on, I'll be ok. Fingers crossed. I may ask mrIam if he can fix the pedometer, but not till I can walk properly again!

chloe1984 Wed 30-Jul-14 19:42:28

Nankate I do agree that my Mother was far more active than I am , I do try since we now only have one car I do far more walking dread to think how few steps I used to do when working full time usually just from the car park to my desk and back again. However tomorrow I am going to turn over a new leaf and really try to do my 10,000 steps each day. So will report back. May have to volunteer to walk someone's dog!