Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Pride

(20 Posts)
NanKate Tue 16-Sep-14 21:23:10

What a great film Pride is. The actors were top class.

Lots of laughs and also some very poignant moments.

It is a true story about a group of miners and some gay men and women and how they supported each other through the Miners' Strike.

Marelli Tue 16-Sep-14 21:29:36

I'm going to see it on Thursday, Nankate. I've seen a trailer for it and it looks very good with a great cast.

NanKate Wed 17-Sep-14 07:33:09

You are in for a treat Marelli - enjoy.

Starling Fri 19-Sep-14 11:41:49

I went to see this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Imelda Staunton and Bill Nighy were excellent in supporting roles but I thought the young male actor Ben Schnetzer who played Mark Ashton was brilliant - I have found out he is American but I didn't notice the slightest hint of an American accent. There was a dialect coach in the credits so I think they did well. I assume it was mostly for the Welsh accents - which sounded good to me too. I think the funniest part was about Rhyl but I don't want to spoil it for others. Also the older Welsh lady who kept looking for the lesbians to try out her vegetarian / vegan recipes!

Marelli Fri 19-Sep-14 12:09:49

Went to see it last night as well, Starling, and thought it was really very good. I hadn't known about the connections of the Gay and Lesbian community during the Miners' Strike and the help they'd given them. It was a very inspiring film, wasn't it?

Starling Fri 19-Sep-14 12:21:50

Yes. I hadn't known about it before either - but then this morning discovered a book in my bookcase which had a chapter in that mentioned it!

Scaredycat1 Sun 21-Sep-14 21:09:55

Just seen it and loved it!

Starling Sun 21-Sep-14 22:53:32

Was the screening well attended Scaredycat1? I was a bit disappointed that our cinema screen was quite empty - although it was an early evening showing.

NanKate Mon 22-Sep-14 07:01:22

There were only about 8 others in the cinema with us Starling but it was 4.00pm on a lovely day, however, I saw yesterday in the paper that Pride was about the 4th biggest grossing film that week in the UK.

Scaredycat1 Mon 22-Sep-14 17:47:44

We went to the only showing, at 6pm yesterday. I expected queues but there were only a dozen of us!

Starling Mon 22-Sep-14 17:50:52

Maybe everybody went on the first day!

GrannyTwice Thu 25-Sep-14 22:30:44

Just back from seeing it - I thought it was a real tour de force. I was in tears more than once.

nightowl Fri 26-Sep-14 08:05:04

Wonderful film. Our independent cinema showing was packed and everyone broke into applause at the end. I wasn't prepared for the very visceral effect it had on me. It made me sad. I also wondered where that world went, good and bad. And it made me miss my dad. (Didn't mean all that to rhyme).

NanKate Fri 26-Sep-14 08:34:57

Your Dad must have been very special to you Nightowl. Hope your sadness was tinged with happy memories too.

How wonderful hearing the applause from the audience. The last time I heard that was in the 1960s when I went to see the opening performance of 'West Side Story' in Birmingham.

Whenever I see a really good play I too think about my Dad who introduced me to the cinema and theatre from Musicals to Shakespeare. smile

nightowl Fri 26-Sep-14 08:48:03

Strange isn't it NanKate how things can suddenly catapult us back in time without warning. My dad has been dead for over 30 years, in fact he was dead at the time the film was set. He wasn't a miner but so linked with all those events and so like the men portrayed in the film - warts and all. I wish I could have him back for just one day.

I would urge anyone to see the film. Like Marelli, I was not aware of the support given to the miners by the lesbian and gay community. It was a revelation.

Starling Fri 26-Sep-14 17:56:01

I don't know whether to post this here or separately under "In the news", but it's in the context of having just seen the film - when did coal change sides politically?

In the eighties all the protest groups were supporting the miners and saying "Coal not Dole" etc, and now Greenpeace is blocking the coal train to the coal-fired power station with a model of a polar bear on the tracks.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-29334128

I'm sure I read somewhere that a Green Party activist was inspired by the miners' strike. Now I am confused.

Allotmenteer Tue 07-Oct-14 17:10:48

Fabulous film, I really loved it & have recommended it to all my friends, smile

Lona Tue 07-Oct-14 17:14:06

I saw it last week, and really enjoyed it. It was news to us about the Gay and Lesbian support, and we found it quite sad in parts.

Eloethan Tue 07-Oct-14 19:57:51

We saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lorianne Wed 08-Oct-14 15:06:33

I saw it with a group of friends and they all loved it too. Strange that so many have never heard of the help (mutual) in the end that these two such disparate groups shared. Interesting to see what happened to some of the people afterwards as given in written detail at the end.