Gransnet forums

Food

Can you o/d on vegetables?

(25 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 29-Aug-13 17:04:09

I was pouring sprouts, which I love, out of the bag into a pan of boiling water and they suddenly poured out - about 20 of them. I put some butter and black pepper on them and ate the lot, with a few new potatoes and a salmon fillet. I feel very full. I know too many carrots can turn your skin orange, so I am watching to see if I turn into the Incredible Hulk.

ninathenana Thu 29-Aug-13 17:07:37

grin I'd be standing down wind of you for a while.

janeainsworth Thu 29-Aug-13 17:12:39

I think you mean upwind Nina grin

Greatnan Thu 29-Aug-13 17:14:05

No problem there - I live alone!

Penstemmon Thu 29-Aug-13 18:59:59

I like sprouts..but that is quite a lot. Let us know if they have an impact on your skin colour or in any other way. smile

annodomini Thu 29-Aug-13 19:17:02

So glad I'm not staying with you at the moment, Greatnan, though I have just done something similar with broccoli. grin

Anne58 Thu 29-Aug-13 19:29:55

Greatnan grin Don't think you can OD on carrots, which while they may not make your skin orange, they are high in vitamin A, which is one of the fat soluble vitamins, and is therefore stored in the liver. You can however OD on carrot juice and liver!

absent Thu 29-Aug-13 19:42:13

I think you'd have to eat a lot more than 20 sprouts (or carrots) and do it frequently to cause yourself serious damage.

Greatnan Thu 29-Aug-13 20:40:41

I still feel full, but I will be brave and manage a bowl of rum and raisin ice cream.

Anne58 Thu 29-Aug-13 20:42:10

What a trooper! grin

whenim64 Thu 29-Aug-13 20:49:55

Greatnan don't touch that rum and raisin ice cream until I have tested it for you grin

Ana Thu 29-Aug-13 20:51:44

Could be an explosive mixture!

NfkDumpling Thu 29-Aug-13 20:55:23

I've heard that too many bananas can kill - but you'd need to eat 50 in a day!

Greatnan Thu 29-Aug-13 21:51:32

Don't worry, When, I always have a back up 2 litres in the freezer!

jennycockerspaniel Thu 29-Aug-13 23:21:13

I can eat a whole cauliflower with gravy and salt and pepper or grated cheeze melted with butter and pepper

FlicketyB Fri 30-Aug-13 10:44:11

I can eat cabbage (including sprout) until I look like one. However this week they did report that eating broccoli regularly ( and sprouts) helped keep arthritis at bay.

Nonu Fri 30-Aug-13 11:04:20

I just Luurve ALL vegetables , so much . I sprinkle my broccoli with a l little lemon juice .

sunshine

Brendawymms Fri 30-Aug-13 11:44:37

My grandmother used to eat cold cooked runner beans cooked covered in vinegar and black pepper. I hate runner beans!

Greatnan Fri 30-Aug-13 17:27:01

I am another devotee of vegetables, particularly finished off with butter and black pepper. I climbed 1000 feet up a mountain path this morning - it must be all the vegetables keeping the arthritis at bay (I will be 73 in September).

felice Mon 11-Nov-13 14:48:32

If you take any type of Anti-coagulent, be very careful, I have an artificial heart valve and was warned to avoid eating too much of any vegetable which contains a lot of vitamin K, the bodies natural anti-coagulent. Sprouts, Broccoli, Spinach, Cauliflower and anything leafy.

thatbags Mon 11-Nov-13 15:42:25

Vitamin K has an important role in blood clotting. Anti-coagulants help prevent blood clotting. So if you've been prescribed an anti-coagulant medicine, you'll have been told to avoid too many vegetables that are high in vit K because that might interfere with the medicine's effectiveness.

Or so it seems to me.

gracesmum Mon 11-Nov-13 16:07:51

DH's advice being on Warfarin tallies with that thatbags and I think that is why Warfarin is still the preferred anti-coagulant becasue an injection of Vit K can be administered in the event of an injury involving bleeding, a stroke, brain bleed or TIA.You can add porridge(oats) to the list but on the whole as long as one's consumption is regular the dose of Warfarin can be adjusted to compensate.

felice Mon 11-Nov-13 16:26:43

Here in Belguim most people are prescribed Sintrom, not Warfarin, it is easier to control seemingly, according to my Heart Surgeon, I had a pulmonary embolism 2 years after my Op and we discovered that my body was producing too much vitamin K, I am stressed this week as have been very ill due to an allergic reaction and a very very difficult friend staying, she did a 3 month trip around Canada and USA then cam here on a tanker, too much time alone and in too many Hotels. Certainly the doctors told me to avoid vitamin K.

felice Mon 11-Nov-13 16:39:04

My DD says I should have the word MUG tattoed on my forehead, she may be right

thatbags Mon 11-Nov-13 20:33:29

Hope you can destress soon, Felice flowers