Gransnet forums

Food

Shopping at Lidl

(80 Posts)
gangy5 Mon 02-Dec-13 17:10:45

I saw a report in the newspaper that Lidle and Aldi are effectively reducing the market share of the big 4 supermarkets. Lidl have produced a marvellous brochure with all their Christmas goodies and impressive it is too. I can't believe that they manage to source all of their meat in the UK. Fruit and vegetables are much cheaper there too.
I am really pleased that a monopoly. which the big supermarkets have held, is now beginning to be broken. I do wish that more people would realise how the supermarketing gurus are very good at manipulating our shopping habits.

FlicketyB Fri 14-Feb-14 14:29:39

No Aldi or LIDL within 15 miles, but I am not sure whether I would want to use them. Compared with most countries we have a very 'competitive' food market with the big supermarkets continually competing on price. If a smaller chain was constantly undercutting them I would be very worried about employment practices and how they treat their suppliers. In the same way I do not shop in Primark.

bbensharma Fri 14-Feb-14 06:29:33

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Nonu Sat 07-Dec-13 22:40:34

ANNO mr N adores them !!

annodomini Sat 07-Dec-13 22:13:03

If you Lidl's shoppers haven't tried their choc ices, perhaps you'd better not: you might get hooked on them. Magnum? forget it!

Soutra Sat 07-Dec-13 16:40:29

"Uh-huh" was the version of "Yes" that got a clip round the ear both at school and at home. I still catch myself doing it and look round guiltily!!
More seriously I believe that being "bilingual" i.e. broad Scots with the friends in the playground, "educated Scots" at home and in the classroom could well have been the foundation for my later study of languages. Children are so very adaptable aren't they?

Agus Sat 07-Dec-13 15:29:00

And that would have earned you a wrap on the knuckles from the teacher Soutra for saying mah instead of my/aye instead of yes. Happy days eh?
So many children hearing one language at home then being punished for repeating it in schoolangry

Soutra Sat 07-Dec-13 13:14:20

Lunch? - we used to call it " mah denner" tchgrin Lynda Snell would have found us Scots so uncouth!

Elegran Sat 07-Dec-13 13:08:51

The worst voice I can think of is one who used to tell you about the wonderful films that would be showing soon. i can't remember which channel as I blocked him out of my ears. He would tell you of children's films in a sexy tone that sounded like a paedophile licking his lips.

Agus Sat 07-Dec-13 13:05:34

Oh, that was a long lunch Nonu you would indeed need a siesta after that. Slainte

annodomini Sat 07-Dec-13 12:56:57

Even if it is Timothy Spall, the delivery still gets up my nose! I think the dreadful man who used to shout about double glazed windows seems to have taken his leave.

Soutra Sat 07-Dec-13 12:56:39

Oh if it is - I agree he is, but he just sounds so sort of "sleazy" He reminds me of one of the less savoury Eastenders types!!!

Gagagran Sat 07-Dec-13 12:53:28

soutra isn't the Wickes voice that of Timothy Spall? (Excellent actor)

Nonu Sat 07-Dec-13 12:48:46

tchsmile wanted to put .

Nonu Sat 07-Dec-13 12:48:08

I DID agus. Went on for two hours . 6 of us .
They all came back here and after a little siesta and a cuppa decided to have some card games AND a little wine .
So all in all a good time was had by all.
I do so like spontaneous things , don"t you .

Back to "haircutting now "

tchsmile]

Soutra Sat 07-Dec-13 12:42:21

Does anybody else hate that breath-y voice that says "It has our nime on it...W-i-ckes" ?
Or the man who shouts "I'm Barry Scott and blah blah blah *Cillit Bang*"
Or "Mum's gorn to Oiceland" (actually not sure they do that one any more.)

I do like the nice Welsh (?) dinner lady who "doesn't like children" (Aldi/Lid.?) however.

Pip pip!

Agus Sat 07-Dec-13 12:31:39

Hope you had a guid lunch Nonu. tchwink

Elegran Sat 07-Dec-13 11:37:03

It just balances out all the Estuary English ads that are shown all over the country. Vive la difference, Nonu!

annodomini Fri 06-Dec-13 23:21:42

Ana, I'm sure Nonu can take a bit of teasing!

annodomini Fri 06-Dec-13 23:20:39

I took my Scottish accent to Lidl this afternoon and nobody seemed to object. Bought everything I needed and a few things I didn't need. grin

Ana Fri 06-Dec-13 22:45:50

Oh, for goodness' sake, Nonu was only expressing a personal opinion! Let's not get too het up about it...

Soutra Fri 06-Dec-13 22:36:59

Given that Lidl and Aldi are German perhaps you would prefer a German accent?

Soutra Fri 06-Dec-13 22:33:56

I think it is downright racist to make disparaging remarks about a Scottish accent. Would you have the same objection to a Jamaican accent nonu?

Agus Fri 06-Dec-13 16:08:17

Let's hope none of the waiters are Scottish grin

annodomini Fri 06-Dec-13 13:55:07

Where is your 'pip', Nonu?

Nonu Fri 06-Dec-13 13:43:17

Well each to his own . It is refreshing !
Off out now as we are having a late lunch .[Fully booked before }
All enjoy your afternoon .
maybe see you later . If I don"t have too much [tchwine].

Bye !