Gransnet forums

Food

Is Baileys Irish Cream - (BBE Sept 2008) safe to drink?

(17 Posts)
Rowantree Sun 21-Dec-14 00:40:33

Thank'ee all - I've decided not to bin it, at least till DD1 arrives for Christmas and can test it with me!
Port - I'm certain that would stand the test of time. I love port smile

absent Fri 19-Dec-14 21:12:14

BTW Non-vintage probably doesn't need decanting.

absent Fri 19-Dec-14 21:11:19

Vintage port will keep for decades so I can see no reason why non-vintage shouldn't keep well for a few years at least. I bought some Fonseca when it was still young and relatively low in price. After twenty or thirty years, it tasted absolutely magical. I had one bottle left when I was leaving the UK and passed it on to one of my very best friends whose house we stayed at for a couple of days before leaving the country.

rosequartz Fri 19-Dec-14 21:04:31

Port should be OK if it is unopened; I remember that it used to stay in the cupboard for a couple of years - opened - and came out at Christmas along with the sherry when I was young.

Ana Fri 19-Dec-14 20:16:01

How long does (unopened) port keep? Found a bottle in the loft, put away mistakenly with Christmas stuff some years ago. There's no BB or BBE date on it - presumably it'll be all right for years?

tiggypiro Fri 19-Dec-14 20:01:28

Rowantree - I am quite willing to test a few glasss of your Baileys for you. Just pop it up to North Yorkshire and I shall let you know the results asap.

FlicketyB Fri 19-Dec-14 17:11:55

Baileys has a BBE, meaning a 'best before' a certain date. Not a use by date, that means that they will not replace it if the taste is not up to scratch. The fact that there is no 'use by date' means just that, it is consumable as long as the taste is acceptable to you.

Greyduster Fri 19-Dec-14 15:10:11

I would think if the seal has not been broken on the screw top, it should be ok. If it had said 'consume before' or similar, I would have thought twice. I am still having misgivings about a gallon of home made elderberry wine I have had in my garage for three years. I can't make my mind up whether it smells ok now (not sure what three year old elderberry wine is supposed to smell like!) but I can't bear the thought of emptying it down the drain! We made it and forgot to bottle it as we were in the throes of moving house.

sherish Fri 19-Dec-14 14:24:08

I have three smaller bottles of Bailey's I bought last year. I have had a look at the bottles but there aren't any use by dates on them. I am going to go by the smell and taste. I don't think there will be a problem with them.

Pittcity Fri 19-Dec-14 14:10:30

A bottle never lasts long in our house. I like to buy the cheaper versions (Aldi has some for under a fiver) and add it to coffee and hot chocolate. Just make sure it is one with whiskey in as some of the cheap versions don't!

Rowantree Fri 19-Dec-14 10:09:11

Hahaha - flicketyB let me know if you have any after-effects! I'll keep it for the time being and open it when my family are around to sniff it, have a good look and give their opinion. I want it for a recipe so I'll get another one too for that - too anxious to use the 2008 vintage bottle for that!
Mind you, if I get an upset tummy from that, I won't need to take the Picolax before my colonoscopy.... (see another thread ;) )

FlicketyB Fri 19-Dec-14 09:59:44

I would quite happily drink it, sorry, just have, we have a bottle that old and we are busy consuming it.

Kiora Fri 19-Dec-14 08:48:34

Hmmm that's a hard one. I always thought alcohol kept almost indefinitely but bailey's has cream in it so I wouldn't like to say. I covered chicken with some breadcrub coating for dinner last night and thought it tasted quite strong. When I retreived the packaging it was dated 2012 but it's had no ill affects. Ps I need to clear out my cupboards more often.

gillybob Fri 19-Dec-14 08:32:00

I thought it was quite straightforward Absent . I think Rowantree is asking if a bottle of Baileys with a best before end date of 2008 will be useable/drinkable. Could be wrong though. confused

I'm with Scooter58 I would open it, have a smell and a tiny taste and if it smells/tastes okay then it probably is. Assuming it is unopened of course.

Scooter58 Fri 19-Dec-14 05:09:03

Taste it first,see if it tastes and smells ok,if so then I would use it.

absent Fri 19-Dec-14 05:00:28

I don't understand your question.

Rowantree Fri 19-Dec-14 03:14:14

I've found an unopened bottle of Baileys (BBE above) at the back of the cupboard. Should I bin it? Advice please - was going to use it to flavour the filling for a Swiss roll but I don't want to poison anyone!