Gransnet forums

Food

Waitrose, sugar, scones and healthy eating

(79 Posts)
JessM Fri 08-May-15 16:53:33

I am engaged in a discussion with Waitrose regarding their nationwide "Kick Start Your Health" promotion which includes a bank of golden caster sugar on a display stand, near the entrances of stores. On close investigation I now realise that this relates to "healthy" recipe for carrot and sultana scones with added pumpkin seeds. hmm I have tweeted, communicated with them via Facebook, complained to the store and... grin managed to corner a visiting manager from head office as he stood discussing the dips and olives with the local management team. I have now had a defensive reply from them via Facebook (its a healthier recipe, blah blah). They are just not getting that their customers are walking into the store and and seeing sugar promoted as something that will "kick start your health". Please do feel free to join in my telling them off on Facebook if you are able to see this link:

www.facebook.com/Waitrose/posts/10152890114528207?comment_id=10152894691323207&offset=0&total_comments=8

FlicketyB Tue 26-May-15 18:29:18

No food is unhealthy. There are only bad diets.

I have just eaten a slice of DGD delicious birthday cake, full of sugar, fat and white flour. It was psychologically good for me, recalling the happy weekend we have just had together and as part of a day's food intake that included 7 portions of fruit and veg, wholemeal bread and some chicken and cheese was part of varied and healthy day's eating.

loopylou Tue 26-May-15 18:07:55

crazy-funny food?

I think I just might describe it as something somewhat more Anglo-Saxon.....

hmm

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-May-15 17:40:16

Well I could certainly go for the sliced panini stuffed with butter and chocolate. Not very diet friendly or healthy though! grin

aggie Tue 26-May-15 17:08:39

Mary apple your food looks gruesome ! Cauliflower Pizza have a laff

rosesarered Tue 26-May-15 16:11:28

Eat tastefully?Maryapple, I think you are touting your food site.

Teetime Tue 26-May-15 16:01:18

Now look what you've all done - made me lust for scones with butter and jam- gonna have to have one!!

maryapple Tue 26-May-15 14:32:14

Oh I know it, when you want to eat tastefully, but you’re on a diet!) But I found the solution of this problem! I ‘met’ this cool site foodjj.com/ and I understood that every woman can eat not only tastefully, but also it can be healthy!) This site has many perfect recipes which are interesting and useful! My husband is delighted with the variety of the dishes which I cook!) I recommend this site to all women, because it’s real godsend for us!) I like using ‘crazy-funny’ recipes for my children! Kids are happy when they have breakfast or dinner!) I wish good luck and ‘culinary successes’ to all ‘super moms and loved wives’!)

loopylou Sat 09-May-15 18:47:04

Porridge with maple syrup and a handful of grapes, yum!
Made with jumbo oats, half milk / half water in microwave 90 seconds -simples smile

janerowena Sat 09-May-15 18:45:59

I put prunes AND figs in DBH's. I had to, otherwise he never got out of the house in the mornings!

pompa Sat 09-May-15 18:39:07

I do occasionally have prunes with my porridge, not milk or sugar.

Now that really does keep you going smile

rosesarered Sat 09-May-15 15:57:43

Yes, it's complicated, even fruit has it's own natural sugars. unless somebody has a weight problem or dietary need, the old word moderation comes into play.
on the porridge thing........ we have this about twice a week, made with semi-skim milk and served with a bit of extra cold milk ( as Soutra says, a moat) and a spoonful of either brown sugar or a good trickle of golden syrup.
if you have a busy morning, it keeps you going for ages.

janerowena Sat 09-May-15 12:03:36

Yes, there is sugar in a raisin, but in a raisin you get calcium, vitamin C, Iron, Vitamin B6, and magnesium. Plus fibre and protein.

There's an awful lot to this nutrition business and it's all quite complicated, I used to think it was only about the taste and life was so much simpler then - but I got fat.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 09-May-15 11:57:32

grin

pompa Sat 09-May-15 11:06:54

JBF, exactly the way i like my porridge.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 09-May-15 10:50:18

No. I'm just thick. smile

feetlebaum Sat 09-May-15 10:19:05

@jinglebelletc. - "I don't do grams." Prefer doing things the hard way?

feetlebaum Sat 09-May-15 10:16:43

Yes, Rosequartz :

tsp = 5g
dsrtsp = 10g
tblsp = 15g

I have a half-teaspoon measure - and then I get a recipe that requires a quarter-teaspoon of something! I just guess...

Marmight Sat 09-May-15 10:14:28

I have porridge most mornings made with water, topped off with a handful of blueberries and raspberries and a teaspoon of Manuka honey. Yum.

pompa Sat 09-May-15 09:38:10

Porridge made with milk? NEVER --- Oats, water & salt (to much for my own good). delicious, just finished mine. smile

Soutra Sat 09-May-15 09:34:36

Porridge made with milk?

Pinhead oatmeal, water pinch of salt and cooked in the slow oven overnight produces perfect real porridge. DH has his with a pinch of salt and the milk in a separate mug as befits a man who spent his formative years in the extreme North East of Scotland. A Borderer, I prefer a little soft brown sugar and a moat of milk round my porridge.

thatbags Sat 09-May-15 07:18:48

with not will

thatbags Sat 09-May-15 07:18:26

Sassenach porridge.

Actually, I hardly ever eat porridge, usually only what's left when DD makes it for her kids. She never measures the cereal and milk (she makes it will whole milk) so the amounts depend on how steady her hand is in a pre-coffee morning blur). No sugar in that but I might add some raisins.

Can't remember when I last made porridge. Several centuries ago anyhoo.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-May-15 23:13:13

I don't do grams.

rosequartz Fri 08-May-15 23:01:34

I put very little sugar in scones and I would have thought carrots and dried fruit would add more.

Pumpkin scones are very nice (I have never made them, only eaten them)

rosequartz Fri 08-May-15 22:58:00

I am still having difficulty thinking in grams
Getting old ....

Do 5 grams = a teaspoon?