Gransnet forums

Food

apple pies

(12 Posts)
Nana3 Thu 01-Sep-16 10:34:41

I make apple pie the way my mum used to, she is in a care home now. I will try your MiL's recipe Indinana I was so touched by your story.

TriciaF Thu 01-Sep-16 09:46:36

My Mum made perfect pies too, mine are never as good. I think my hands are too heavy on the pastry.
We can't get Bramleys here. Well, I've heard of people bringing the trees over from England but they don't seem to thrive.
The nearest is a Canada russet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinette_du_Canada
which softens nicely when cooked. I think that's what I used last night. I find many of the local eating apples tasteless.

Indinana Thu 01-Sep-16 08:13:20

My MiL made the best apple pies ever. It was a family joke that they would be missed more than her grin. She made shortcrust pastry, using an egg and just a tiny amount of water to bind. She never weighed anything, just threw it in till it felt right and it was always perfect! She lined an enamel pie plate with pastry, then sprinkled desiccated coconut over it to absorb any excess liquid from the apples. Then cooked bramleys, with a handful of sultanas mixed in. Topped with pastry, brushed with milk.
I've tried so often to make them the same but they're never quite as good as she made them. I will keep practicing...

Sadly, her apple pies were off the menu long before she died, as she was in a care home for several years. And she'd be pleased to know that we do actually miss her more than her apple pies.... just wink

Jalima Wed 31-Aug-16 23:05:39

An Anglicised version of tarte tatin (don't read any further M0nica).

Line a cake tin with baking parchment, sprinkle with brown sugar mixed with cinnamon, slice apples and arrange in concentric circles or in nicely shaped quarters if they are Bramleys which cook quickly. Use plenty of apple. Top with buttery pastry then bake.
I did try Raymond Blanc's version at the weekend, cooking sugar and butter together first for the topping, but ended up with a solid fudge.

Turn out on to a plate, serve with good custard (fresh Cornish readymade!) or creme fraiche.

whitewave Wed 31-Aug-16 22:54:15

Don't forget the thick Birds Eye custard or clotted cream

Coolgran65 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:40:45

Shortcrust pastry
Cooking apples off our tree thinly sliced raw, or if thicker they get a wee burst in the microwave.
Apple slices into a bowl, add sugar, cinnamon, conrnflower, sometimes also sultanas steeped in lemon juice. Toss all together.
Brush lower base of pastry with beaten egg.
Add the filling.
Add the lid and brush with beaten egg.
Sprinkle with sugar, or dredge with icing sugar after its cooked.

rosesarered Wed 31-Aug-16 21:59:56

I always part cook Bramleys first ( but my Mother never did) however I prefer the filling to be a little gooey.I use a pyrex casserole lid or an enamel pie dish.I make short crust pastry that has rested in the fridge for a while, and make two pies at a time, and sometimes crumbles, for the freezer.You can't beat a good apple pie...wonderful and my fave pud.

M0nica Wed 31-Aug-16 21:12:39

I leave apple pie making to DD, hers are to die for. She also does a perfect tarte tatin. Why make a mess of it myself when she does it so well?

Greyduster Wed 31-Aug-16 20:43:25

I slice bramleys quite thickly and then part cook them in the microwave with some sugar shock just long enough so they keep their shape. I line a shallow pie dish with unsweetened shortcrust pastry and then the apples. Rather than a straightforward lid, I like to cut the pastry into strips and make a closed lattice top. It just makes it a bit different though it's a bit of a faff. I've tried using dessert apples, but can't seem to get a good result. Perhaps I was using the wrong apples.

tanith Wed 31-Aug-16 20:40:24

I make short crust pastry line a dish, slice cooking apples sprinkle a mix of Brown sugar, a desert spoon of flour and cinnamon over then cover with more pastry and brush with egg and sprinkle with Brown sugar. Quick to make and delicious. I make 3 at a time and give one to my neighbour who supplies the apples.

BBbevan Wed 31-Aug-16 20:35:19

I always make an apple tart., on a very old enamel plate of my Mum's. Very thinly sliced , uncooked Bramley Apple and a dredge of Demerara. Top, egged and scattered with sugar, Lovely with thick custard or Jaques (?) as it is known in our house

TriciaF Wed 31-Aug-16 20:20:26

My husband's favourite food (I like it too) but such a messy fiddle to make.
I was given some lovely sharp apples by a neighbour and the pie is out of the oven now.
I wondered how others make apple pie.
eg pie or tart? what kind of apples? What kind of pastry? do you par-cook the apples first?
I watched an american video about one version - she used eating apples sliced them, then drained some juice off them and thickened it to make a kind of syrup. The whole thing took ages.
Mine turned out good, I cooked the apples first, different every time