Gransnet forums

Food

Cucumber anyone??

(15 Posts)
rubylady Tue 27-Jan-15 04:37:39

Did anyone see the new series by Russell T. Davies on Channel 4 called Cucumber? It was very funny to start with and then took a more serious bend in the proceedings, excellently acted out though and I can't wait for the second helping.

There are other programmes in conjunction with this one, Banana and Tofu. All apparently representing the "happiness" of a man. They are gay based dramas and the Tofu one is an online documentary about gay culture. They are to show that just because it is now legal to marry if you are gay, you may not want to or the problems surrounding a gay life in the modern world. It is wonderful for Russell to showcase this as many will now think that gay people have it all and this is not so.

petallus Tue 27-Jan-15 07:54:47

I watched Cucumber. Very penis oriented wasn't it?

Every time the (large) cucumber was smacked suggestively into the hand I winced.

Overall worth another watch though.

ninathenana Tue 27-Jan-15 14:42:02

Did you put this under 'food' rather than TV to attract attention??

The programme is definitely not my humour.

janerowena Tue 27-Jan-15 15:23:13

It's the name of the programme... confused

Ana Tue 27-Jan-15 15:40:45

But it's a tv programme...confused

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 27-Jan-15 15:52:01

Perhaps much of the happiness of gay men actually comes from food. Much like the rest of us. It sounds a food orientated programme.

Brummiegran Tue 27-Jan-15 17:08:20

These are categories of penile engorgement! Cucumber being the best! Not food related!

petallus Tue 27-Jan-15 17:13:40

Yes, the opening scene of episode 1 of this series involved a middle aged gay man walking around a supermarket thinking about penises. He explains that some are like tofu (scene of wobbly semi-erect tofu), some like bananas (man walks past eating a banana) finally our hero comes across a young man chosing a huge cucumber and his eyes nearly pop out of his head.

It's a very explicit prog.

Surely that's not the gay man world? Obsessed with penises in that brutal kind of way?

petallus Tue 27-Jan-15 17:14:04

I couldn't help gulping and blinking a bit as I watched.

Grannyknot Tue 27-Jan-15 17:36:40

I really didn't like it. I'm not sure what they're trying to prove, nor shall I be sticking around the find out.

Grannyknot Tue 27-Jan-15 17:41:21

...to find out.

rubylady Wed 28-Jan-15 02:44:45

Do many of you not associate with gay people? I have found in the past that gay men are explicit and don't mind telling you in great detail what happens in their private life, although many of them are very funny in doing so. I have had the pleasure of lots of gay people in my life and have been enriched by their company.

I really enjoyed watching this programme, and banana and the documentary tofu and shall watch this week too and look forward to it. I love Henry, the main person in cucumber, he plays his character well. smile

Grannyknot Wed 28-Jan-15 07:18:05

ruby I have loads of gay friends and acquaintances who enrich my life too, including my ultra conservative and cultured cousin. I just didn't like the programme (or what I saw of it)...

petallus Wed 28-Jan-15 10:58:45

My dear nephew is gay. I don't have lots of gay friends of the male variety though I know a lot of gay women.

The thing is with Cucumber, it seems penis centred sex is the main theme though as someone has already said a bit more emotional complexity crept in towards the end of the episode.

Thinking about it, I wince when I see explicit hetero scenes on the tv as well. In fact, I often close my eyes when there is lengthy kissing going on and only open them when the slurping noises have stopped!

rubylady Fri 13-Feb-15 01:04:47

Just been watching tonight's Tofu about coming out.

With reference to us Boomers, we lived in a time when this wasn't acceptable, when it was still hush hush to be gay or lesbian, when men kept it to themselves and still got married and had children. I have been in a gay bar and listened to the stories told from older gay men about how they have had a life of deceit and not being able to be who they really are. That is truly awful. How would MN feel about this when they live in a society now that accepts and embraces gay and lesbians? Not to mention transgender, transsexuals, bisexuals. Society is far more accepting now than 40/50/60 years ago.

Did the gay etc Boomers really have it better than people now?