Gransnet forums

Food

No bits fruit cake

(18 Posts)
Jackofall57 Sat 31-Jan-15 17:59:24

Does anyone have a recipe for a fruit cake where I can blend the dried fruit as I want the fruit cake taste but not the texture. I can't find a recipe anywhere. Thank you!

tanith Sat 31-Jan-15 18:10:41

Sorry I can't find a recipe for one either, isn't the whole point of 'fruit' cake the bits though?

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 18:14:57

You could just try using an ordinary recipe, use blended dried fruit and see how it turns out? Perhaps make a small one first - experiment a bit! Good luck.

loopylou Sat 31-Jan-15 19:14:27

I wonder if a Boiled Fruit Cake recipe would work with liquidising the fruit once it's been boiled?
That way it will be moist.

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 19:38:12

Why? Just curious as to whether you don't like the texture or need to eat something smooth. When I was a child I didn't like mincemeat, it used to send an unpleasant sensation down my jaw presumably to the saliva glands.
I'm fine with it now.

merlotgran Sat 31-Jan-15 19:42:46

If you want the taste of the fruit but not the texture why not blend the dried fruit with a little fruit juice - just enough to give it a spreading consistency. You could then follow a loaf cake recipe and layer the cake mix and fruit spread, stirring it slightly to give a swirly effect when the cake is baked and cooled.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 21:11:55

You could try this recipe for Sticky Fruit Cake, jackofall. I got it from my mother-in-law many years ago. We always used to take big slabs of it on mountain hikes.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 22:51:57

Oh, I wish I didn't need to diet! That sounds lovely. sad

yogagran Sun 01-Feb-15 13:18:31

What size and shape of tin do you use bags

10oz butter & a large tin of condensed milk - you'd need to get to the top of a mountain to work off the calories shock

rosequartz Sun 01-Feb-15 13:31:56

A bit like boiled fruit cake except it has condensed milk instead of milk or tea (and no egg)

If you use tea instead of condensed milk the cake will have no calories grin

loopylou Sun 01-Feb-15 13:39:54

Boiled fruit cake I make doesn't have condensed milk or tea, uses tinned crushed pineapple (drained), yummy! And freezes or keeps really well.

thatbags Sun 01-Feb-15 19:16:05

I use a deep square tin. Will just pop to the kitchen to measure it....

.... it's 10x10 inches square and 3" deep.

I have made it in a large round tin sometimes. I guess you could do it in two or three loaf tins.

thatbags Sun 01-Feb-15 20:19:13

Funnily enough, yoga, I used to find that I ate less on mountain climbing days than on studying days. I've always found sedentary brain activity makes me more hungry than physical activity.

durhamjen Sun 01-Feb-15 23:57:37

When you say you want the fruit cake taste, do you mean currants and raisins? Have you thought about using ready to eat apricots?

Jackofall57 Mon 16-Feb-15 17:56:05

Wow! Thank you all so much for replying with your ideas. This is better than Google. Lol. I have tried the pureeing dried fruit however my blender kept stopping so I added little boiled water to wet mixture. It took forever a little at a time. Cake in oven now and I'm hoping it will be ok. I'm just worried that the fluid will change the consistency. Keep up the good tips everyone.

Mishap Mon 16-Feb-15 18:00:48

I think the idea of boiling the fruit first would do the trick - mind you, will that remove any healthy goodies in it?

Ariadne Mon 16-Feb-15 18:11:47

What about Nigella's clementine cake? It is soooo good - you boil and blitz the clementines so no bits...

Jackofall57 Mon 23-Feb-15 23:39:35

Hi everyone
Cake came out quite shallow but tasted fine and had the texture of a bread pudding without the bits but all the flavour of a fruit cake. Would have preferred it deeper but having the bulk reduced I couldn't expect anything else. Smaller tin next time and try all your lovely suggestions. Thank you!