Gransnet forums

Food

Guests for dinner. How much attention do you pay to likes and dislikes?

(56 Posts)
MarionHalcombe Sun 03-Jul-16 11:58:02

I'm not talking dietary requirements, I'm a vegetarian myself, but just things that people don't like. I always ask if someone comes for a meal and can end up tying myself in absolute knots.

And if you do pau attention to likes and dislikes of guests, at what age would you start? Teenage?

Ps, if you want to invite me round please don't give me hard boiled or fried eggs or a peach - thankssmile

tanith Sun 03-Jul-16 12:05:12

One of the reasons I don't entertain if I can help it is because I tie myself up in knots worrying about things like this. I have family staying next week and I'm already having a panic attack about it and what to get in just in case they want this that or the other .. and thats just for family!!

sunseeker Sun 03-Jul-16 12:05:49

I only cater to food allergies and will make something different for vegetarians. I am allergic to fish and have lesser problems with some other foods but I always make sure the host knows this as soon as an invitation is received.

ninathenana Sun 03-Jul-16 12:15:29

The last guest I had for a meal I was cooking Sunday roast. I did ask if there was any veg the person didn't like. As we eat all kinds of veg it was easy to cater to their tastes.
I always do two desserts when we have guests.
If family come and I have nothing they like, we either eat out or they go to the shops! I certainly don't stress about it.

Maggiemaybe Sun 03-Jul-16 12:31:18

I don't ask and don't worry about it. Occasionally guests have let me know in advance that they really can't eat a certain thing and if that happens of course I'll avoid it. I would never serve something like offal or even certain seafood (which I love), because so many people don't eat them. But, otherwise I just provide enough food to make sure no one will go hungry, unless they're incredibly fussy!

sweetcakes Sun 03-Jul-16 13:50:09

Yes I only cater for allergies and I don't know any vegetarians so no problems there.

merlotgran Sun 03-Jul-16 14:02:39

I don't give it a second thought. If somebody has an allergy or is a vegetarian I either already know about it or expect to be told.

M0nica Sun 03-Jul-16 14:07:02

If anyone has a real problem with any food, I expect them to tell me. That includes being vegetarian, vegan, having allergies or intolerances or just food they really loathe or on a specific eating plan. I am quite happy to cater for them providing I know in advance

I have happily catered (not all at the same time) for vegetarians,those on low-fat diets, or with allergies, those with medical problems that restrict what they can eat or religious restrictions and some simply with foods they loathe.

Planning meals around these restrictions is not a problem. It is the people who turn up, when the meal has been chosen, cooked and is ready to be served and then tell you about their dietary restrictions.

LullyDully Sun 03-Jul-16 14:51:39

I really don't like lamb these days and would rather tell someone rather than have to leave it.

I do have a friend who THINKS she is a wonderful cook. So never sure what we are eating there and it takes a lot of politeness to compliment her. When another friend and I were at college with her years ago we used to be so impressed by her culinary skills. We were put to veg peeling , when we lived with her , while she took the credit. Now in our 60s we secretly think we are better cooks.

lexigran Sun 03-Jul-16 15:05:03

Tanith I'm so pleased to see that I'm not the only one who panics at the thought of entertaining.
I'm quite envious of those who love feeding people !

GrannyAsNanny Sun 03-Jul-16 15:31:05

How things have changed! I can't imagine my mother worrying about guests' likes and dislikes. A meal was provided and they could choose to eat it or not. Having lived in Kenya and Malawi where food was scarce and choice non-existent, I'm afraid I have very little time for fussy eaters. There - got that off my chest...

Lupatria Sun 03-Jul-16 15:55:18

i, too, don't cater for fussy eaters!! i don't get hung up and panicked over entertaining. if they don't like what i'm giving them then too bad!! and as i know the likes and dislikes of most of my guests then i know what not to serve.

annsixty Sun 03-Jul-16 16:18:18

I had a friend for many tears, she has since died, and she would frequently come to us for weekends. She was sometimes a bit awkward but nothing that a gritting of teeth for a minute didn't solve.
She came one weekend and I went to Stockport to meet her off of the train so I had made a Lasagna that I could just put in the oven. She waited until it was on the table when she announced she no longer ate any red meat. She had cold ham and salad and I know I had to rearrange Sunday lunch but as I knew she liked fish I had got Salmon in for Saturday. That to me was just "ornery". She also once when I went to her for the weekend gave me a Pizza which I do not like ,but ate ,as nothing else was forthcoming and she and her D had a tuna salad as " they had had something cooked at lunchtime". I was and still am very fond of her D and am her Godmother so I kept civil until she died.

M0nica Sun 03-Jul-16 16:27:59

It is rarely a question of 'fussy' eaters. DGD is allergic to some foods, the other grandma has a medical condition that means a rstricted diet. Hardly fussy eating when ignoring their needs could end up with them in hospital! Likewise someone who on principle does not eat meat.

Many people living in countries where poverty is endemic still have eating taboos, often for religious reasons. Muslim Africans, will not eat pork in any circumstances, nor will impoversihed Hindus eat beef. One villager in India was killed recently because it was rumoured that he had eaten beef. Those are just the most obvious two.

lizzypopbottle Sun 03-Jul-16 16:33:28

I suppose I could be called a fussy eater. I will eat most things but I draw the line at creatures with too many legs (more than four so seafood, really) and certain creatures with no legs (garden creatures and, again, seafood.) I don't see it as being fussy or picky. I've tried most of the things I dislike and I definitely dislike them. In the no legs category, I've had snails and mussels. Definitely, no thanks! I do like scallops. Actual fish is fine. In the too many legs category, I've had lobster - don't like it. I've had langoustine, didn't care for it, ditto shrimps and prawns. Octopus is just off-putting to look at and so is squid. I imagine crab to be intensely fishy but maybe that's because of all the smelly dead ones my kids brought home from the beach! I enjoy meat including beef, pork, lamb, venison, chicken, turkey, game birds etc. (but please, no offal although I don't object to liver pate) and all vegetables, salad stuff and fruit. I'm free most nights so let the dinner invitations commence!

granjura Sun 03-Jul-16 16:47:16

I always ask and respect it, however I feel about it. if you ask people to come to your home, then I feel it is your duty to make them feel comfortable and respect how they feel.

Just don't bother asking them otherwise.

But yes, it is so annoying when people do not tell you in advance- and make the announcement when the meal is on the table- that they can't possibly eat x, y, z ... So I always make a point to ask nowadays.

MarionHalcombe Sun 03-Jul-16 16:58:00

I'm with Tanith, but I love entertaining and cooking however i do tie myself up in knots.

In my close family alone the list of things that people don't like is massive. Son in law and father in law almost rule out every food between them!

Newquay Sun 03-Jul-16 20:07:51

I just say is there anything you don't eat?
I always tell folks inviting us that DH doesn't eat pasta. He doesn't like a lot of cream or Mayo either but he just has to be brave.
I can't even stand the smell of cucumber (since I was pregnant with DD2 38 years ago!) but I never mention it and just push it to the side. I just hope I'm never served cucumber soup-yuk!-but I would do my best.
I grew up with the choice of take it or leave it too.

grannyqueenie Sun 03-Jul-16 21:02:02

I always ask is there's anything "you can't eat" and that usually covers veggie, gluten free etc as well as genuine strong dislikes. I don't consider myself a fussy eater and can easily cope with being served something that isn't a favourite. However I'd really struggle to eat liver or kidney and would hate a guest to feel like that when they come to me so I always check beforehand as I'd rather know in advance. It's less stressful that way.

Anya Sun 03-Jul-16 21:54:08

Ditto grannyqueenie - asking if there's anything you 'can't eat'.

granjura Sun 03-Jul-16 22:31:30

Very grateful to you for that- I just can't eat liver or kidneys- the very smell makes me gag. We once went to colleagues for dinner and she served kidneys- and it was so embarrassing - I felt dreadul, but there was NO way I could eat the food. I just had the mash and veg. Now, I have no allergies to kidneys or liver- but just can't eat them at all.

Surely if you are going to serve something which has a very strong taste, or any kind of offal, like tripe, or shell fish, snails, horse, etc- then you should check beforehand and respect guests' wishes. Oherwise, as said, just don't bother inviting them at all. Simple (respect).

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jul-16 07:52:56

Any host who serves offal, tripe, shell fish, snails, horse is surely asking for trouble, as so many people don't eat them and it's pretty certain someone will be staring at their plate in horror.

It never fails to amaze me how many Come Dine With Me contestants do this and wonder why they get such a miserable score (and miserable guests!).

Greyduster Mon 04-Jul-16 08:34:34

I must have told my best friend countless times that DH doesn't eat chicken casserole, but she still served it, and he still shoved it down (he will shove it down for her, but not for me, and I love it, so I don't make it at home), smiled politely and said how nice it was! I told her again recently when we discussing how many foods he had "gone off" recently, I slipped it in! She'll probably still give it to him! I like to find out what people don't care for - fish, and dishes containing blue cheese seem to be no go areas among the people who eat with us on a regular basis. One dear friend no longer with us spent most of every meal I ever gave him pushing the food round his plate and eating very little. He and his wife seemed to buy almost everything they ate from M&S and I obviously couldn't compete!

kittylester Mon 04-Jul-16 08:47:44

We don't have guests for dinner - we have friends round for a meal. I do check what they don't eat though. grin

thatbags Mon 04-Jul-16 08:50:51

How would one know it was horse meat on one's plate if one hadn't been told? Genuine question because I don't know what it looks like or tastes like? Is it similar to beef?